2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Vikings have to be the front-runners for Iloka, right? Assuming they're interested, but I don't see why the heck they wouldn't be.
In a word: money. Keeping Harrison Smith is almost certainly going to require a lucrative contract so the question becomes: how much are they willing to invest in the safety position?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

LT would be my top FA choice

Chris Ivory would be a top choice depending on what happens with Peterson going forward ?

Jeffery would be the other top person I would go after..

I am assuming the Vikings won't sign several of our expensive players FA or cut
players who have not performed well. Kalil, Loadholt, Wallace, Robison etc etc....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Rumor has it Browns are looking to trade Josh Gordon. Could we get him for the right price?

http://purpleptsd.com/2016/02/16/should ... sh-gordon/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:Rumor has it Browns are looking to trade Josh Gordon. Could we get him for the right price?

http://purpleptsd.com/2016/02/16/should ... sh-gordon/
the price would have to be low with the likelihood that he makes another off the field goofball move as high as it is. But I'd take a flier for the right price.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:
Just because we haven't seen that yet doesn't mean it can't happen. I still maintain that it's in the realm of possibility that Loadholt and Sullivan are ready to go by week 1. Fusco is over a year removed from his pec injury and Harris doesn't have any kind of injury that I'm aware of. Kalil and his knees are the wild card but if he can avoid any type of surgery this offseason it's possible he actually improves from 2015 (when he wasn't a complete liability and actually and some good games against tough pass rushers like Ansah). Frankly, getting rid of Clemmings at RT should immediately upgrade the line.
I'm not saying it can't happen but with how bad the line was this year, I don't see any way we just walk into next season with those 5 as starters. Something needs to be done.
I disagree that a tackle "has to go." We can get buy with Kalil playing like he did in weeks 1-12. OTs have come back and played very well after Achilles injuries as well so I'm not cutting Phil unless it's clear the injury affected him more than others, rendering him a liability. I'm OK with grooming Clemmings. We have to remember he had very limited OT experience prior being drafted so he has the "raw" label that could be Phil's replacement in a few seasons (or a decent backup). Fusco was abysmal on the left side but more than competent on the right. As I pointed out in a separate post, it took Fusco a few seasons to make the transition from college center to good NFL RG. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that if the Vikings want Fusco to stay at LG that he improves. His contract isn't excessive. I'd prefer he compete with Harris at RG and sign an above-average LG in FA or, at worst, no later than R3 in the draft if the right guy falls. I do agree that we need to draft a rookie center, though. Unless they have a young guy on the roster they're really excited about (though I'm not sure the UDFA guy(s) can be penciled in to start in a few years even if they make the 53 this season).
If we keep both tackles going into next year, we will have $18 million in cap hits. That is WAY too much money for a guy that is very inconsistent and another one that is good but is coming off 2 major injuries. We can't just walk into next season "hoping" these two guys can turn it around. We did that this year and look where it got us. More inconsistent (not as bad) play by Kalil and another major injury for Phil. You gotta protect your franchise QB

As for Fusco, I think Harris is a better RG regardless. But if we do keep both and let them compete, say Harris wins the job, do you really think we should keep Fusco as a backup and pay him $4 million??? No way IMO.

We traded for Easton but he never suited up. I would like to see him in action to be honest. He was the best rated center according to PFF in the preseason this year. He's gotta have some talent there. Although when we traded for him, Berger started to finally turn it on a few weeks later so there was no reason to dress Easton.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
As for Fusco, I think Harris is a better RG regardless. But if we do keep both and let them compete, say Harris wins the job, do you really think we should keep Fusco as a backup and pay him $4 million??? No way IMO.

We traded for Easton but he never suited up. I would like to see him in action to be honest. He was the best rated center according to PFF in the preseason this year. He's gotta have some talent there. Although when we traded for him, Berger started to finally turn it on a few weeks later so there was no reason to dress Easton.
I think Harris has been getting somewhat elevated in fans estimation because he played the best out of a genuinely dreadful group. That doesn't mean he was great, just less dreadful. I like him as a versatile backup, but not as much as a starter.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: I think Harris has been getting somewhat elevated in fans estimation because he played the best out of a genuinely dreadful group. That doesn't mean he was great, just less dreadful. I like him as a versatile backup, but not as much as a starter.
I disagree 100%. I've been a big Harris backer all season. He graded out highly according to PFF in MANY games this year. He was hands down our best lineman last year. Good in both the run and the pass, blocks until the whistle, sustains blocks and gets to the second level quickly, etc. He should definitely be our starter at RG next year.
The pending UFA Harris was a pleasant surprise, finishing with the 22nd-best grade among ALL guards, with relatively equal effectiveness as a pass blocker (78.6) and run blocker (75.3).
So to say he should be a backup or to say he was "less dreadful" just doesn't add up. He was solid all around.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I disagree 100%. I've been a big Harris backer all season. He graded out highly according to PFF in MANY games this year. He was hands down our best lineman last year. Good in both the run and the pass, blocks until the whistle, sustains blocks and gets to the second level quickly, etc. He should definitely be our starter at RG next year.
So to say he should be a backup or to say he was "less dreadful" just doesn't add up. He was solid all around.
I haven't seen a lot of him or any other Vikings Offensive Lineman getting to the second level. Occasionally he transitioned off a combo block with Berger to get to the second level, but no often. I do appreciate his hustle and versatility.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: I haven't seen a lot of him or any other Vikings Offensive Lineman getting to the second level. Occasionally he transitioned off a combo block with Berger to get to the second level, but no often. I do appreciate his hustle and versatility.
I noticed it on a lot of Petersons runs. Either way, he's a lot better than some people might think IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I would be all for Laurinaitis since he got cut today, but that also probably means no Greenway unless he does it at a very discount price.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Crap.
With pending FA G Kelechi Osemele, #Ravens are aggressive, sources say. Offered to make him the 2nd highest offensive player behind Flacco
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I really don't see them paying a guard so much $. It might have to do with being so handcuffed by Flacco and his contract.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I really hope we she'll out some $ on a FA lineman. For some reason I have a gut feeling I don't want a lineman at 23. Would rather have a WR, or maybe move up to take a linebacker.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

If jaylon smith falls to 23 I would totally take him even if he has to sit out the year cause his knee. Dude is a stud!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I would be all for Laurinaitis since he got cut today, but that also probably means no Greenway unless he does it at a very discount price.
I don't want either of them...