2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by dead_poet »

If it comes down to strictly money.. Whew...Vikings can't compete with the kind of cash the Raiders have on hand...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingPaul73 wrote: what if they sign Osemele at noon on the 9th, and then cut Kalil at 1pm???
I kind of don't want to fill one large hole with a bigger one next to it.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

So you wouldnt want Osemele playing LT if it comes down to that?
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

This makes me even more mad that they are low-balling Harris. If we can get Osemele and put him at LG, give Harris some money to play RG which he did very well at this season. Let Fusco walk. He's overpaid right now anyways.

Having Harris, Sully and Osemele on the inside is pretty damn good if you ask me. Then we have possible interest in Schwartz as well. Let Kalil walk and put Schwartz at LT? Who knows. But I'll truly be upset if we don't land one of either Osemele and Schwartz
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mercy Percy wrote:So you wouldnt want Osemele playing LT if it comes down to that?
While he appears he can play LT with some proficiency, he's a Pro Bowl guard and LG is his best/natural position. Consequently that's where I want him. Unless the Vikings draft Whitehair/Garnett early, in which case maybe. But that also assumes one of those guys are plug-and-play and not, say, TJ Clemmings-level rookies as then we're not gaining anything.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:This makes me even more mad that they are low-balling Harris. If we can get Osemele and put him at LG, give Harris some money to play RG which he did very well at this season. Let Fusco walk. He's overpaid right now anyways.

Having Harris, Sully and Osemele on the inside is pretty damn good if you ask me. Then we have possible interest in Schwartz as well. Let Kalil walk and put Schwartz at LT? Who knows. But I'll truly be upset if we don't land one of either Osemele and Schwartz
People seem to forget how good a healthy Fusco was at RG. The only thing Harris could do better is offer position flexibility. Frankly I think Fusco/Harris is a wash (though Fusco may have been better).

Let's not play the "flip sides" game again, OK? Schwartz is a RT. And don't get your hopes up with Schwartz. The report of the Vikings interest was likely before Phil agreed to a restructure. If he wasn't in their plans to start if I were him I'd ask to be cut to pursue starting positions elsewhere. I think Phil's restructure signaled the end of our interest in Schwartz.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Via Ben Goessling...
#Vikings are very much in on Kelechi Osemele, as @Rand_Getlin said. This could get interesting.
grumblegettingmyhopesupgrumble
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

dead_poet wrote: People seem to forget how good a healthy Fusco was at RG. The only thing Harris could do better is offer position flexibility. Frankly I think Fusco/Harris is a wash (though Fusco may have been better).

Let's not play the "flip sides" game again, OK? Schwartz is a RT. And don't get your hopes up with Schwartz. The report of the Vikings interest was likely before Phil agreed to a restructure. If he wasn't in their plans to start if I were him I'd ask to be cut to pursue starting positions elsewhere. I think Phil's restructure signaled the end of our interest in Schwartz.

i don't think the loadholt deal eliminates schwartz from the equation. 2 mil a year for loadholt is necessarily starter money, and they could look at him at guard or as a top backup. if we miss on osemele i wouldn't say we are out of the schwartz race.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

slapnut19 wrote:
i don't think the loadholt deal eliminates schwartz from the equation. 2 mil a year for loadholt is necessarily starter money, and they could look at him at guard or as a top backup. if we miss on osemele i wouldn't say we are out of the schwartz race.
Phil took a cut to rehab his value with the Vikings. He can't do that on the bench. It's essentially a one-year deal "betting on himself." Why would he sign that if he didn't get some assurance he'd be on the field? He's also not a guard.

Frankly if the Vikes sign Schwartz I'd be pissed if I was Phil and ask to be released. I don't see Rick treating Phil like that but what do I know.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote: People seem to forget how good a healthy Fusco was at RG. The only thing Harris could do better is offer position flexibility. Frankly I think Fusco/Harris is a wash (though Fusco may have been better).

I agree that I wouldnt want them to flip Schwartz to LT. I just didnt know if thats what they were thinking.

The question is, can Fusco stay healthy? Or is the reason Fusco had a bad year this year was because he switched to the left side or did his play really drop off? That is why I say Harris is more of a sure thing. Fusco has a lot of question marks and we are "hoping" for better play out of Fusco on the right side. His cap hit this year is $4 million but now that I just looked at it we would take a $2.4 million dead money hit so that is probably why they might stick with Fusco instead. I suppose I'm fine with that. Maybe that is why they are lowballing Harris. Hoping he would take the deal and then we would have a good lineman to compete and one that is versatile

I guess I figured it all out now :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

just guessing. tackles get moved to guard late in their career all the time. also i don't think they can give any type of guarantees to a guy coming off a major injury, especially when zimmer said all spots are basically up for grabs. with that said i can't see osemele or schwartz having to earn their spots if either one gets signed.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

dead_poet wrote:Via Ben Goessling...
grumblegettingmyhopesupgrumble
Wow.

Media hyperbole or legit shot at this?
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wow.

Media hyperbole or legit shot at this?

i hope if they are in they take it all the way. he's the kind of player this offense needs, and we can afford the cap hit, especially with what we are paying our qb.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

slapnut19 wrote:just guessing. tackles get moved to guard late in their career all the time. also i don't think they can give any type of guarantees to a guy coming off a major injury, especially when zimmer said all spots are basically up for grabs. with that said i can't see osemele or schwartz having to earn their spots if either one gets signed.
Phil is 30 and has never played guard. He's a tackle. This is not necessarily a career-threatening injury and he's right on schedule.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

slapnut19 wrote:
i hope if they are in they take it all the way. he's the kind of player this offense needs, and we can afford the cap hit, especially with what we are paying our qb.
I agree. I would love Osemele. This would put us out of the running with Iloka but could mean we could still land Reggie Nelson. Even though Nelson is 33, I don't think age matters a whole lot in Zimmers scheme. Especially if they know the scheme already. Newman proved that this year and Nelson is coming off a monster year

At this point, I am hoping for the following:

LG- Kelechi Osemele
SS- Reggie Nelson
OLB- Vincent Rey

....this would make my offseason.

OR....

S- George Iloka
OLB- Vincent Rey
OG- Alex Boone (is going on 29 and could probably come at a decent price)

I would say the first one above is more intriguing though
-Chazz Palminteri