Core Offensive Players

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Core Offensive Players

Post by Mothman »

I've been seeing and hearing a lot about the Vikes being a team on the rise and in thinking about that, I've been looking at the team and thinking about core players, players that appear to be clear "building blocks" who will still be starting for the team 3 or more years from now. I'm talking about players who will be with the Vikes because they're essential, key players, not just because their contract lasts that long. I'm also referring to players who have clearly shown, at this point, that they fit that description.

There are some obvious candidates on defense: Smith and Barr are perfect examples but the Vikes appear to have such players at every level of their defense now. There are probably 2 or 3 defensive lineman and Rhodes probably fits the description too.

Who are the core players on offense? Peterson's obviously a core player but perhaps only in the short term now, due to his contract and, perhaps, his age.

The only one I can come up with is Rudolph.

Many fans will say Bridgewater is a core player. I obviously don't think he's shown enough yet but I have little doubt the Vikings are hoping he'll become the centerpiece of their offense.

I imagine there will be disagreement, pro and con, about those two players. Beyond them, is there anybody who's shown enough at this point to establish themselves as a core player in the sense that a guy like Smith has on defense? I don't think McKinnon or Diggs has shown enough yet. There's nobody on the OL. The backup TEs are fine but I don't see them as core players.

What do you think? Do they have any clear, core players on offense and if so, who are they? If this is a team on the rise that's going to actually keep rising, I think this is a question that's going to need some better answers soon.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Core Offensive Players

Post by The Breeze »

I think McKinnon is a core player going forward. His limitations are only due to AD's presence, IMO. I think they are set at RB, barring any big injury.
Diggs could work his way to that distinction...but being a rookie this year leaves a lot of room for rise and fall.
They seem to have a significant amount of talent on that side of the ball, but the only guys who really seem to bring the grrr are the 2 RBs.
It's definitely a void where some guys could really ste up.
Sullivan is a guy I would consider, although he has had a hard time staying healthy.
Ellison is another...but a patellar injury is really really tough. I'm not up to snuff if his is a complete tear or what...but to the best of my knowledge, no NFL player has made a full comeback, or even lasted 2 seasons after a torn patellar.
Loadholt would be another guy I'd suggest as a core guy.
I really think they could stand to be faster and more attack minded at TE....Rudolph may be turned loose more.if the line can stabalize. It'll be interesting to see what Pruitt does next year.
All in all, it's a bit of a snafu with the poor line play, a young still developing QB with no real established posession receiver, that guy who will make a play more often than not.
The offense really lacks that overall spark.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This is a pretty subjective exercise but I'll play. On offense at this point I'd say Rudolph, Wright and Diggs (he flashed enough for me). Ask me this time next year but I'm hoping Teddy is on that list.

Depending on if you're firm with the "starting three years from now" criteria, like Peterson (possible), Sully and Loadholt are possibilities but they'd likely be towards the end of this (provided they come back at or near 100%).

It's hard to say for sure about some (like McKinnon/Pruitt) with other vets getting more playing time in front of them so we're not sure what they can become but there have been flashes there.

It's pretty clear there are fewer options and it's less clear on the offensive side.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:This is a pretty subjective exercise but I'll play. On offense at this point I'd say Rudolph, Wright and Diggs (he flashed enough for me). Ask me this time next year but I'm hoping Teddy is on that list.

Depending on if you're firm with the "starting three years from now" criteria, like Peterson (possible), Sully and Loadholt are possibilities but they'd likely be towards the end of this (provided they come back at or near 100%).
We could knock it down to 2 years from now but I'm thinking more in terms of a young core the team will be to build around and sustain long term success. Age and injury make it hard to see Sully and Loadholt as such players but as you said, this is a subjective exercise. There are offensive linemen who play well far into their 30s..

Basically, the idea is: if the Vikings are going to become a Super Bowl contender in the near future, which starting players are going to help them remain one and be a perennial contender?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Outside of Peterson I don't think there is a core, just guys with potential (McKinnon, Diggs, Bridgewater, etc.). There could be a core or two on o-line depending on severity of injuries. It's clear progression and infusion of new talent is key to the success of the offense next year.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Diggs, Rudolph, Wright, Teddy, Mckinnon and Patterson are / will be our core offensive players going forward that keep us in the superbowl so pretty much everything's covered outside of O-line I'd say. Definitely need to add some core players there though.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Diggs, Rudolph, Wright, Teddy, Mckinnon and Patterson are / will be our core offensive players going forward that keep us in the superbowl so pretty much everything's covered outside of O-line I'd say. Definitely need to add some core players there though.
It's pretty hard to see Patterson as a core offensive player when he was barely even used on offense last season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Outside of Peterson I don't think there is a core, just guys with potential (McKinnon, Diggs, Bridgewater, etc.). There could be a core or two on o-line depending on severity of injuries. It's clear progression and infusion of new talent is key to the success of the offense next year.
I agree and I think you phrased it well. It will be interesting to see if they can do on offense what they've done on defense.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote:I've been seeing and hearing a lot about the Vikes being a team on the rise and in thinking about that, I've been looking at the team and thinking about core players, players that appear to be clear "building blocks" who will still be starting for the team 3 or more years from now. I'm talking about players who will be with the Vikes because they're essential, key players, not just because their contract lasts that long. I'm also referring to players who have clearly shown, at this point, that they fit that description.

There are some obvious candidates on defense: Smith and Barr are perfect examples but the Vikes appear to have such players at every level of their defense now. There are probably 2 or 3 defensive lineman and Rhodes probably fits the description too.

Who are the core players on offense? Peterson's obviously a core player but perhaps only in the short term now, due to his contract and, perhaps, his age.

The only one I can come up with is Rudolph.

Many fans will say Bridgewater is a core player. I obviously don't think he's shown enough yet but I have little doubt the Vikings are hoping he'll become the centerpiece of their offense.

I imagine there will be disagreement, pro and con, about those two players. Beyond them, is there anybody who's shown enough at this point to establish themselves as a core player in the sense that a guy like Smith has on defense? I don't think McKinnon or Diggs has shown enough yet. There's nobody on the OL. The backup TEs are fine but I don't see them as core players.

What do you think? Do they have any clear, core players on offense and if so, who are they? If this is a team on the rise that's going to actually keep rising, I think this is a question that's going to need some better answers soon.
He is not talked about much but I would put Zach Line there, even now as a core player that needs to be kept long term :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

based on their contract, role, and how the coaching staff behaves towards them I'd say these are core guys:

Fusco
Sullivan
Loadholt
Rudolph
Diggs
AP
TB

Kalil will probably be on this list after March.

Whether they are good enough to be considered "Core" is another question
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Peterson, though just barely. I don't see him around after 3 more years. In fact, he might not make it past 2017.

A lot depends on injury. Sullivan will qualify (just barely) if he can come back from the injury. Loadholt the same. The offensive line is definitely going to take the most work (and new players) to fix.

I think Diggs qualifies as a core player. At least over the next 3 years. Wright too, especially if you count the slot as a "starting" spot. He could move into the WR2 spot if they deem Diggs good enough to take on the "best receiver on the team" role and they don't do anything to significantly improve the position over the offseason (draft/FA signing).

I think Zach Line might qualify. Especially as long as Peterson is on the team we'll carry a FB. Line is homegrown, cheap, only 25, and seemed to do well at his job last season, unless I'm misremembering his play. He's no Fullton, but I don't see a reason for the team to replace him over that span.

I count Teddy because I see him on the team starting in three years. As long as the defense keeps playing like they did in 2015 and continue to get better he's proven he can win. Even when he doesn't play very well (or even pretty terribly) he plays poorly in such a way (by not turning the ball over) that the rest of the team can win in spite of him. I think that's enough for Zimmer. Even if Teddy only marginally improves from where he is now, I see him on the team in three years.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: It's pretty hard to see Patterson as a core offensive player when he was barely even used on offense last season.
Oddly enough, Patterson could sort of be a core player for constantly helping the offense with field position on returns. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I'm with you and S197 about this. Peterson is about it. At this point there isn't a core on offense. Not yet.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

There is only a single "core" player on our OL. A few guys have starter level talent but they are either really broken (Sully) and will never be the same or reliable, a total bust like Kalil and Fusco who wouldnt start on ANY contender, and Loadholt who, if he gets really lucky will come back and be close to what he used to be. Only Loadholt would be a starter on a top quality team.

Peterson is obvious but overpriced at a position that the NFL is disgarding and is on the down slope of time...
Diggs, Wright, Rudolph would get snapped up by any contender with great expectations.
Mckinnon? Perhaps but I am not convinced he has the total package, ie able to carry the load of an everydown back AND run up the middle with authority.
The rest of the offense is unproven or questionable, especially Teddy....Core? maybe, but until he has a real OL we will never really know.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I agree with most that you have trouble figuring out who are the core players on offense for the Vikings in 2018. If you are being honest, you need to say that the guy has to have started for a couple years (generally no rookies) and to be a solid player, and you can't include guys at the end of their career (which is probably in the early 30's) or coming off major injury (since you don't know how their recovery will go). Going through our team:
Loadholt (major injury, age)
Sullivan (major injury, age?)
Berger (1st year as starter)
Clemmings (rookie)
Harris (1st year as starter)
Wallace (gone, not an impact player for us)
Wright (our #3 receiver)
Diggs (rookie)
McKinnon (sub)
Line (limited snaps)
----- guys with a chance to be called core -----
Kalil (injury, consistency?)
Fusco (off year)
Bridgewater (check out any Teddy thread here for caveats)
Rudolph (!)

In a perfect world, we have a full offensive line that gets healthy, a QB who takes control of a passing offense after AP leaves, a nice solid backfield of versatile players, a great TE, and a couple good receivers. In a worst case scenario, the whole offensive line gets replaced, we have two #3 guys on the outside at best, Rudy gets injured again, and Teddy never advances past his current level of efficiency. The answer is probably somewhere in between, meaning we need to get some guys in FA or the draft.

It's a great topic though, Jim. I hadn't thought before of how chance-y the offensive talent is. The defense is stacked, though. I would be happy to see a healthy line of Hunter, Joseph, Floyd, and Griffen for the next three years!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:I agree with most that you have trouble figuring out who are the core players on offense for the Vikings in 2018. If you are being honest, you need to say that the guy has to have started for a couple years (generally no rookies) and to be a solid player, and you can't include guys at the end of their career (which is probably in the early 30's) or coming off major injury (since you don't know how their recovery will go). Going through our team:
Loadholt (major injury, age)
Sullivan (major injury, age?)
Berger (1st year as starter)
Plus, Berger is 3 years older than Loadholt and Sullivan.
Clemmings (rookie)
Harris (1st year as starter)
Wallace (gone, not an impact player for us)
Wright (our #3 receiver)
Diggs (rookie)
McKinnon (sub)
Line (limited snaps)
----- guys with a chance to be called core -----
Kalil (injury, consistency?)
Fusco (off year)
Bridgewater (check out any Teddy thread here for caveats)
Rudolph (!)

In a perfect world, we have a full offensive line that gets healthy, a QB who takes control of a passing offense after AP leaves, a nice solid backfield of versatile players, a great TE, and a couple good receivers. In a worst case scenario, the whole offensive line gets replaced, we have two #3 guys on the outside at best, Rudy gets injured again, and Teddy never advances past his current level of efficiency. The answer is probably somewhere in between, meaning we need to get some guys in FA or the draft.

It's a great topic though, Jim. I hadn't thought before of how chance-y the offensive talent is. The defense is stacked, though. I would be happy to see a healthy line of Hunter, Joseph, Floyd, and Griffen for the next three years!
Thanks, John. It's the contrast between that stacked defense and the offense that prompted me to start this thread. It's pretty dramatic. It's easy to look at the defense and see a team on the rise but when I look at the offense, I see so much uncertainty. As you pointed out, there's a "perfect world" scenario that sets up well for the Vikes but the offense really is sort of precariously balanced right now between that sort of scenario and a much less pleasant one.

This is an important offseason (and upcoming season).