Vikings OL and GM discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings OL

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote: And by the way, the Chili era was the only playoff win we've had in the last decade!!!! It's funny that the most success the Vikings have had in Rick's entire tenure is the period that Rick supporters always try to "blame" on the fact that he didn't have total GM power during this time. Weird. It's like the perception of a "good" roster with "excellent" depth is more important than the REALITY of results and an actual playoff win! It's baffling to me

1. Rick's tenure of a decade - 1 playoff win
2. Rick's GM tenure of 4 years - 0 playoff wins

there is always a lot of hype and potential.....and then a lot of excuses when things don't work out (as if no other teams in the NFL have injuries). Some teams are just better prepared for the injuries.
Well said!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

VikingPaul73 wrote: And by the way, the Chili era was the only playoff win we've had in the last decade!!!! It's funny that the most success the Vikings have had in Rick's entire tenure is the period that Rick supporters always try to "blame" on the fact that he didn't have total GM power during this time. Weird. It's like the perception of a "good" roster with "excellent" depth is more important than the REALITY of results and an actual playoff win! It's baffling to me

1. Rick's tenure of a decade - 1 playoff win
2. Rick's GM tenure of 4 years - 0 playoff wins

there is always a lot of hype and potential.....and then a lot of excuses when things don't work out (as if no other teams in the NFL have injuries). Some teams are just better prepared for the injuries.
One could state the Vikings have been unable to obtain a franchise QB and proper QB depth, offensive line consistency, and a team offense with both good passing and running attacks for quite some time.

One could also state the team hasn't come up with strong franchise general management in a long time either.

I don't know enough about how the organization truly functions to say Spielman is the problem here. But there certainly is a problem and its roots begin somewhere at the top.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

the hubris of the 3rd round trade this year speaks volumes to me. Basically, Vikings' brass said "this team is so talented and deep this year, that we have the luxury of shelving a 3rd rounder until next year, when a couple of older guys will retire"

seriously????? There were gaping holes in OL and backup QB that could have been addressed (at least ATTEMPTED) with a 3rd round pick this year.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Titans just cut this guy... he might worth making an extra spot for

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizwSYFol9I
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:the hubris of the 3rd round trade this year speaks volumes to me. Basically, Vikings' brass said "this team is so talented and deep this year, that we have the luxury of shelving a 3rd rounder until next year, when a couple of older guys will retire"

seriously????? There were gaping holes in OL and backup QB that could have been addressed (at least ATTEMPTED) with a 3rd round pick this year.

That hubris isn't new either. I can appreciate Spielman's desire to accumulate draft picks and make draft day trades but sometimes, I think he's too in love with wheeling and dealing for his own good. His judgment is questionable. The trade you mentioned is an example and the trade for Patterson might be the ultimate example. Spielman sent picks No. 52, No. 83, No. 102, and No. 229 to NE to draft Patterson, a raw-but-very-talented player in need of development. When you consider the state of the team at the at the time, that was an incredible roll of the dice... and it sure doesn't look like it's going to pay off.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote:
That hubris isn't new either. I can appreciate Spielman's desire to accumulate draft picks and make draft day trades but sometimes, I think he's too in love with wheeling and dealing for his own good. His judgment is questionable. The trade you mentioned is an example and the trade for Patterson might be the ultimate example. Spielman sent picks No. 52, No. 83, No. 102, and No. 229 to NE to draft Patterson, a raw-but-very-talented player in need of development. When you consider the state of the team at the at the time, that was an incredible roll of the dice... and it sure doesn't look like it's going to pay off.
That's an excellent, excellent point. Maybe his true calling is a trader in pits of the New York Stock Exchange!!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:That's an excellent, excellent point. Maybe his true calling is a trader in pits of the New York Stock Exchange!!
:lol:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Not us, but an interesting developing story:
All-Pro guard Josh Sitton will be released if the Packers are unable to trade him, per a source.
PFF had (ex?) #Packers OG Josh Sitton as a Top-5 guard in 2015, top 3 in pass blocking. Sitton turned 30 in June.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Not us, but an interesting developing story:

He's been officially released now. Wow, I wonder where he'll end up?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

We kept Sirles and I thought he had an awful preseason.
I wonder if we will pick up any tackles or guards off waivers?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:
Patterson doesn't look like it will be a good trade unless things turn around but I think Spielman has had more good trades than bad. The trade up for Harrison probably being the best. Let's not forget Jared Allen who was one slip up away from being out of the league at the time. The Harvin trade, the trade back so the Browns could snag Richardson, Bridgewater, etc.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

S197 wrote: Patterson doesn't look like it will be a good trade unless things turn around but I think Spielman has had more good trades than bad. The trade up for Harrison probably being the best. Let's not forget Jared Allen who was one slip up away from being out of the league at the time. The Harvin trade, the trade back so the Browns could snag Richardson, Bridgewater, etc.
The trade for Bridgewater is far from a sure thing 'good move'.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Remains to be seen but it was a better move than grabbing Manziel or Bridgewater with their first pick. Who knows who would have been around if they waited for their 2nd round pick.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

S197 wrote:Remains to be seen but it was a better move than grabbing Manziel or Bridgewater with their first pick. Who knows who would have been around if they waited for their 2nd round pick.
If Bridgewater doesn't end up as your franchise QB, i'd hesitate to call it a good move.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

Ngata: Sitton improves Bears, but Vikings' O-line best in NFC North (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2canUIx

Sorry I have no clue how to post the link to this article on my phone or even quote the part about the Vikings, but I found it very interesting that Haloti Ngata would say we have the best oline in the division. Don't know if I agree with him, but I do expect it to be greatly improved over last year. Smith might only be average at RT but he will still be a tremenedous improvement over Clemmings. Boone also should make that line look a lot better.