march 9 is the kalil deadline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

slapnut19
Transition Player

march 9 is the kalil deadline

Post by slapnut19 »

prior to that day they can sign him to an extension or release him. after that day the team is on the hook to pay him 11.5 mil guaranteed for 2016. big decision coming for sure. if you truly want to fix the oline i think it starts by releasing him and moving on to a better option.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... r-vikings/
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: march 9 is the kalil deadline

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

slapnut19 wrote:prior to that day they can sign him to an extension or release him. after that day the team is on the hook to pay him 11.5 mil guaranteed for 2016. big decision coming for sure. if you truly want to fix the oline i think it starts by releasing him and moving on to a better option.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... r-vikings/
I feel like that just opens up another hole on the OL. He was more up than down this year. Granted its a lot of $$ to give him but in a sense if we get rid of him, we would need a LT, LG (Fusco was horrible and is getting a lot of money, possible C (Sullivan could be at the end of his career), make sure to re-sign Harris at RG because if we don't we're in trouble there, and possibly a RT given Phil's injuries. It's next to impossible to replace an entire offensive line in one offseason.

So if it was up to me, I would keep Kalil. He is still young and showed well this year when healthy
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I feel like that just opens up another hole on the OL. He was more up than down this year. Granted its a lot of $$ to give him but in a sense if we get rid of him, we would need a LT, LG (Fusco was horrible and is getting a lot of money, possible C (Sullivan could be at the end of his career), make sure to re-sign Harris at RG because if we don't we're in trouble there, and possibly a RT given Phil's injuries. It's next to impossible to replace an entire offensive line in one offseason.

So if it was up to me, I would keep Kalil. He is still young and showed well this year when healthy
I agree. Finding solid LTs is not trivial and they are not cheap. I thought Kalil struggled at times, but in general was solid and much improved over last year. Is he worth an extension? I'd say yes, but it should be a reasonable contract that is sweetened with incentives if he plays well.

The Vikes are unlikely to find anyone better for the same or less. Good LT's never hit the FA market, and finding them in the draft, especially when drafting late in the rounds, is tough, plus any drafted player would take time to develop. If the Vikes are going to be competing for the division next year, keeping Kalil in purple is going to be a necessity I think.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

VikingLord wrote: I agree. Finding solid LTs is not trivial and they are not cheap. I thought Kalil struggled at times, but in general was solid and much improved over last year. Is he worth an extension? I'd say yes, but it should be a reasonable contract that is sweetened with incentives if he plays well.

The Vikes are unlikely to find anyone better for the same or less. Good LT's never hit the FA market, and finding them in the draft, especially when drafting late in the rounds, is tough, plus any drafted player would take time to develop. If the Vikes are going to be competing for the division next year, keeping Kalil in purple is going to be a necessity I think.

He was poor again this year, whether this was down to injury or just because he's continue to regress since his rookie year is anyones guess. But to give him that kind of money, when he's either:
1. Not adapting to the NFL
2. Is injury prone
Seems a no brainer to me. Cut him loose and try again. I trust Zim and Rick to completely overhaul this O-line, bring in a mixture of talented young blood with proven solid free agency players.
However they do it, we can't have players breezing through to teddy on his blindside, play after play. Lets give the kid a sporting chance next season. LT is no.1 offseason priority imo.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

No way we release him..... LT are so hard to find. Also, I am convinced if we get a good left guard next to him it will help out a ton.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

great left tackles are hard to find. if we move on from kalil we aren't moving away from greatness. i reailze they aren't the gospel but here is a quote from pff:

Left tackle Matt Kalil (47.1) has been largely a disappointment since his wonderful rookie year of 2012, bottoming out in 2014, where his 55 pressures allowed were the second-most in the league among tackles. He improved slightly in 2015, where his 44 pressures allowed were just 18th in the league. Nonetheless, the Vikings are getting below-average production from their former top-five draft pick at a very important position in the development of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (77.4).

improving slightly from being the 2nd worst tackle in the league doesn't give me much hope for the future.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

If they keep him around I would do at at the 11.7 mil. I don't want to commit to him past this year, as his position needs to be upgraded regardless. I understand the fear about creating another void, but there are mediocre veterans like Donald Penn would could do at least well as Kalil for a lot less.

Cut him or give him his 11.7 for one more year, then let him ride off to pizza parlor heaven. I wish him luck in his post-football career.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

slapnut19 wrote:great left tackles are hard to find. if we move on from kalil we aren't moving away from greatness. i reailze they aren't the gospel but here is a quote from pff:

Left tackle Matt Kalil (47.1) has been largely a disappointment since his wonderful rookie year of 2012, bottoming out in 2014, where his 55 pressures allowed were the second-most in the league among tackles. He improved slightly in 2015, where his 44 pressures allowed were just 18th in the league. Nonetheless, the Vikings are getting below-average production from their former top-five draft pick at a very important position in the development of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (77.4).

improving slightly from being the 2nd worst tackle in the league doesn't give me much hope for the future.

He went from worst to just below league average. That's a pretty huge jump actually. He is two slots away from being in the top half of the league in pressures for his position. I think he is paid too much right now but trim back that salary a bit and I don't think anyone would be too disappointed in the quality for cost.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Im on the fence... That is a lot of. Money to pay him. He has been bad the last couple of years, so if we do release him i won't be too upset. I am really worried about his health, because it sounds like he may never have healthy knees again, from what i have heard.

Cold is temporary. Purple Pride is forever.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The real question is who is the better option? Bashing on Kalil is pretty common around here, but if he is gone, then who replaces him? Frankly, that scenario scares me a heck of a lot more than having Kalil start.

My guess is he gets paid. He is very athletic and lets them do things at the 2nd level in the running game that most LT simply cannot do, so he does bring value in that department.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Oh God...Let him GO.....he is a spotty player with one impressive season. He is fragile and every year means more wear and tear. He has a a great skill...at creating penalties at critical times against his own team. THIS is why we have a GM . Its his job to find talent and OL is not the hardest place to do so. Give up already! Kalil is one of the biggest reasons that we cannot figure out our QB situation. He has had more then enough time to show his worth and it aint much.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

chicagopurple wrote:Oh God...Let him GO.....he is a spotty player with one impressive season. He is fragile and every year means more wear and tear. He has a a great skill...at creating penalties at critical times against his own team. THIS is why we have a GM . Its his job to find talent and OL is not the hardest place to do so. Give up already! Kalil is one of the biggest reasons that we cannot figure out our QB situation. He has had more then enough time to show his worth and it aint much.
You look at the top 10 in that draft and it is an ugly sight! That was a rough draft.

I actually agree with you about something. Kalil just isn't very good and given his physical condition I think this year was the BEST you could expect going forward. :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote: You look at the top 10 in that draft and it is an ugly sight! That was a rough draft.

I actually agree with you about something. Kalil just isn't very good and given his physical condition I think this year was the BEST you could expect going forward. :confused:
Perhaps move him to RT and try Loadholt at LT if he comes back healthy. He was an All American 1st team left tackle with Oklahoma. It could not hurt to give it a try.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I expect them to keep him with an incentive-laden contract and to hopefully bring in some competition/ strong backup candidates for both Tackle positions. Phil's ability to return from injury scares me too. so we need to be ready to fill in holes again.

Our OL needs lots of help, cutting Kalil is not the answer.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
Our OL needs lots of help, cutting Kalil is not the answer.
Its certainly not THE answer, but it could be part of the answer. Let's just imagine they cut Kalil and Mike Wallace. They would have 23 milion dollars cap space to put toward signing FAs or paying players they might trade for. That could easily be 3-4 new starters in addition to Sullivan and Loadholt.

Obviously no promise of improvement, but one thing clear to me is that while cutting Kalil might not be the answer, Kalil is not the answer either.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins