Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

Post by Mothman »

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... efore-2016
At different times this season, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Norv Turner talked with Teddy Bridgewater about the importance of maintaining solid throwing mechanics, so passes wouldn't sail on him when he dropped his elbow and threw from a lower release point. In his season-ending news conference on Tuesday, Zimmer singled out Bridgewater's mechanics as the biggest thing he needs to improve before his third season.

"[It's] really just coming over the top a little bit more," Zimmer said. "I don’t think that had anything to do with the ones [he had] batted down, but sometimes when you’re throwing the ball over the middle, it’s a shorter-trajectory throws, but you still have to find windows to throw it in."
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

Post by CbusVikesFan »

THIS is what I have ZERO confidence in. Fixing those quirky mechanics. I am amazed that most everyone thinks that either this can be fixed, or they can fix it for him. Then there is the confidence curve if you will. How long will it take to be confident in a totally new throwing motion and a new grip maybe and who knows what else can factor into that? I just don't see it. I was kind of hoping that the progression would be much further along once the season got going but it did not happen to my satisfaction. How long has this kid been playing football? Nobody has tried to help him with mechanics? :roll:
I have to roll my eyes because I find it hard to believe that a coach on any level looked at the way TB throws the ball and says to himself, "nice throwing motion." "No need to work on that."
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Ben's really stretching for a piece there. Zimmer didn't even say or imply what Goessling builds his whole article around. Pretty ridiculous. He's usually better than that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Ben's really stretching for a piece there. Zimmer didn't even say or imply what Goessling builds his whole article around. Pretty ridiculous. He's usually better than that.
Note the first line I quoted above:
At different times this season, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Norv Turner talked with Teddy Bridgewater about the importance of maintaining solid throwing mechanics, so passes wouldn't sail on him when he dropped his elbow and threw from a lower release point.
Goessling made it clear from the start that he wasn't just basing his article on comments made in Zimmer's last press conference.

Plus, since Bridgewater's mechanics are on obvious problem, the article isn't exactly a stretch.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

There is no stretch here. Teddy's mechanics need work and it's good to hear that Zimmer wants to help him. I'd be concerned about both Zimmer and Turner if they didn't want to continue guiding and coaching their young quarterback. A better Bridgewater means a better offense.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:THIS is what I have ZERO confidence in. Fixing those quirky mechanics. I am amazed that most everyone thinks that either this can be fixed, or they can fix it for him. Then there is the confidence curve if you will. How long will it take to be confident in a totally new throwing motion and a new grip maybe and who knows what else can factor into that? I just don't see it. I was kind of hoping that the progression would be much further along once the season got going but it did not happen to my satisfaction. How long has this kid been playing football? Nobody has tried to help him with mechanics? :roll:
I have to roll my eyes because I find it hard to believe that a coach on any level looked at the way TB throws the ball and says to himself, "nice throwing motion." "No need to work on that."
I think you're right to be concerned. We have a thread on the board right now about Adrian Peterson being the "elephant in the room" but that idiom might be even more appropriate for Bridgewater. His disappointing second season strikes me as an uncomfortable truth many are understandably reluctant to discuss. As another saying goes, winning covers up a lot of flaws. It helped cover Bridgewater's in 2015. His mechanics and, indeed, his overall performance should be a legitimate concern to the Vikings going forward. I think you raised a good point with the "confidence curve" that could accompany a change in mechanics too. Bridgewater has also acknowledged that he needs to be aggressive next year but a change in mindset like that might be very difficult for a QB who clearly prefers to make the safe throw.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Note the first line I quoted above:
Goessling made it clear from the start that he wasn't just basing his article on comments made in Zimmer's last press conference.

Plus, since Bridgewater's mechanics are on obvious problem, the article isn't exactly a stretch.
Zimmer made it clear he was not talking about Bridgewaters overall mechanics (he's not troubled by the low release point), just that on some of the deep throws when the ball sailed on him he dropped his elbow too low and got under the ball. We've all noted that and pointed it out before Zimmer ever mentioned it publicly. It was notable, especially earlier in the season. Goessling is making it like its a big mechanical overhaul. Not the case and not what Zimmer said...just what Goessling said.

I think the piece is clearly a stretch to fill some space.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I think you're right to be concerned. We have a thread on the board right now about Adrian Peterson being the "elephant in the room" but that idiom might be even more appropriate for Bridgewater. His disappointing second season strikes me as an uncomfortable truth many are understandably reluctant to discuss. As another saying goes, winning covers up a lot of flaws. It helped cover Bridgewater's in 2015. His mechanics and, indeed, his overall performance should be a legitimate concern to the Vikings going forward. I think you raised a good point with the "confidence curve" that could accompany a change in mechanics too. Bridgewater has also acknowledged that he needs to be aggressive next year but a change in mindset like that might be very difficult for a QB who clearly prefers to make the safe throw.
I thought he played great, especially in the 2nd half of the season. I'm looking forward to more next year!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

1) Teddy's mechanics aren't perfect. He should work to improve them.

2) The "wind-up" is not detrimental from a set to release standpoint (quickness of the throw). I don't believe it's any worse than average and may be better. It's surprisingly quick for the extra motion to be honest. It'd be nice if he could cut it down a bit but as it stands it's not a ridiculous Tebow-like motion. Even Turner said as much.
“This is the number one thing with him,” Turner said. “He’s got such a quick release, and he makes quick decisions. That ball is out before the tight end makes his cut, and it’s thrown where only he can catch it.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... o-the-nfl/

3) Whatever the motion doesn't seem to affect his arm strength. He doesn't have a cannon but as I posted in another thread, his velocity was clocked at 54 MPH. Flacco, who is known for his arm strength, was clocked at 55 MPH. Russell Wilson is also 55. Ponder was 51. Drew Brees was 52. Dalton 56. Newton 56.

4) Regarding accuracy...I know Teddy has missed some throws (all quarterbacks do, but when you're attempting fewer than the league average they may be more closely scrutinized) but it seems to be baffling for the coaching staff that sees him hit the throws he misses in games in practice. Accuracy wasn't an issue coming out of school and his overall accuracy for a second-year guy isn't that worrisome.

The chart below represents each college quarterback’s accuracy in the individual target zones when adjusting for drops by their receivers. The colors represent how that accuracy compares to the ‘average quarterback’, green is better than average, yellow average, red is below-average.

And Bridgewater also completed 63 percent of his passes under pressure and 77 percent when faced with the blitz at Louisville
5) Don't expect dramatic changes. It's incredibly hard to change a QB's mechanics. Teddy has said as much. When the bullets start flying you revert to what's natural. It's possible to improve but I'm not expecting a lot of growth here. I don't believe the throwing motion is consistently poor enough to be that detrimental. Again, accuracy has never seemed to be a huge issue with Teddy coming out of school and in the large scheme of things right now, especially given his age and experience level (and lack of protection forcing altered mechanics more frequently than his peers).

6) I'm not sure where this sudden conservative approach to "make the safe throw" came from but it wasn't present in college. It's either a coaching approach, receiver talent (or lack thereof) and/or smaller "windows" than he's used to and he hasn't adjusted. But gut is it's the latter but it may be a combination of the others. The hesitation is there and it wasn't (at least not to this degree) in college. There's also a fine line between "making a safe throw" and "making the right decision." Sometimes the safe throw is the right one. That, more than anything, I think is determined by your perception of him. If he throws to a covered receiver, you could say "That was an awful decision! That guy was clearly covered!" Or you could say, "He took a chance. That's what good quarterbacks do!" Or if he checks down: "Classic Teddy. Always checking down." OR "Nobody was open, so that was a great decision to get seven yards." It's in the eye of the beholder. I will again bring up several beat and bloggers that have said after watching tape of Teddy's games that he more often than not made the correct decision (protection fails and covered receivers).

7) Ability to set his feet to help with his delivery is obviously key. In fact, his footwork is one of his best QB traits. Shame he doesn't get to showcase them often. We saw this year when he had that rare opportunity he threw some gorgeous passes. Unfortunately that didn't happen very often. More time to throw (i.e. not off his back foot or scrambling) will help his mechanics.

Some food for thought. But again, Teddy could stand to improve his mechanics. I'm not saying he wouldn't benefit.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Whatever the motion doesn't seem to affect his arm strength. He doesn't have a cannon but as I posted in another thread, his velocity was clocked at 54 MPH. Flacco, who is known for his arm strength, was clocked at 55 MPH. Russell Wilson is also 55. Ponder was 51. Drew Brees was 52. Dalton 56. Newton 56.
This seems awfully misleading. Watch Brees throw downfield, and Ponder. And tell me there isn't a difference. Dalton and Newton have the same "arm strength"? Whatever this is measuring, it sure doesn't seem to be arm strength. Newton could flick his wrist and get as much "arm strength" behind a throw as Dalton could with a running start and his entire body behind it. Not sure there's a measurement for "controlled arm strength". Or however you would label it. Vick was a guy who seemed to be able to get a ton behind the ball with just a quick flick of his wrist. Even when Teddy gets something on the ball, there's the lack of accuracy, because of the need to adjust his mechanics to get the velocity he needs.
Don't expect dramatic changes. It's incredibly hard to change a QB's mechanics.
Incredibly hard, bordering on impossible. After the player is already in the NFL? Maybe in high school or college.
Accuracy wasn't an issue coming out of school and his overall accuracy for a second-year guy isn't that worrisome.
It was an issue leading up to the draft when teams removed him from their board because of questions about his accuracy down field.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2026 ... b-prospect
Arm Talent

There is a perception of Bridgewater that suggests he lacks great arm talent. There are throws where his small hands do appear to affect his control over the football, but for the most part, he maintains excellent velocity and throws accurate passes to every area of the field.

He is exceptionally consistent throwing to intermediate routes, but less consistent throwing farther down the field. That would be a major concern, but a lack of consistency isn't a lack of ability and the consistency isn't so bad that it suggests Bridgewater will follow in the footsteps of Geno Smith early in his career.
And that was a fluff piece. There was plenty leading up to the draft about his down field accuracy and arm strength, including at his pro day when it's suppose to be hand picked receivers etc.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

CbusVikesFan wrote:THIS is what I have ZERO confidence in. Fixing those quirky mechanics. I am amazed that most everyone thinks that either this can be fixed, or they can fix it for him. Then there is the confidence curve if you will. How long will it take to be confident in a totally new throwing motion and a new grip maybe and who knows what else can factor into that? I just don't see it. I was kind of hoping that the progression would be much further along once the season got going but it did not happen to my satisfaction. How long has this kid been playing football? Nobody has tried to help him with mechanics? :roll:
I am also concerned. Isn't this pretty much the same thing Fraiser said about Ponder after about every game, that most of Ponder's issues were just some minor mechanics that could be corrected with practice? Look how that turned out.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote: This seems awfully misleading. Watch Brees throw downfield, and Ponder. And tell me there isn't a difference. Dalton and Newton have the same "arm strength"? Whatever this is measuring, it sure doesn't seem to be arm strength. Newton could flick his wrist and get as much "arm strength" behind a throw as Dalton could with a running start and his entire body behind it. Not sure there's a measurement for "controlled arm strength". Or however you would label it. Vick was a guy who seemed to be able to get a ton behind the ball with just a quick flick of his wrist. Even when Teddy gets something on the ball, there's the lack of accuracy, because of the need to adjust his mechanics to get the velocity he needs.
I'm confused about this too. Seems like there's a world of difference between some of these guys in terms of arm strength, despite what the mph figures say. For example, Flacco looks to have far more arm strength than Bridgewater to me and yet there's only 1 mph difference in their throws? Is that possible? Keep in mind I'm talking about throwing deep. Teddy does wing some shorter throws.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

losperros wrote: I'm confused about this too. Seems like there's a world of difference between some of these guys in terms of arm strength, despite what the mph figures say. For example, Flacco looks to have far more arm strength than Bridgewater to me and yet there's only 1 mph difference in their throws? Is that possible? Keep in mind I'm talking about throwing deep. Teddy does wing some shorter throws.
I have no idea. Velocity is velocity. I was a little surprised Teddy's numbers weren't lower myself but the radar gun doesn't lie.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'm guessing that tested velocity and "playing velocity" aren't always the same, just like a player's 40 time can differ from his playing speed. Maybe Bridgewater was able to reach that velocity on a test by throwing as hard as he could but in practical terms, during a game, he doesn't naturally put as much on most of his throws.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Yeah, let's come up with reasons for facts to lie to us because it doesn't match our perception! In reality, Teddy can gun it in there (as we have seen with many completions) but chooses to throw it differently based on the situation. A fastball isn't always the best option. Also, I think he sometimes loses velocity when he doesn't get his feet set, which is sometimes because of his mechanics and other times because of the lack of time he gets in the pocket.