Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

Post by Raptorman »

Those endless short passes are what drives NFL teams to titles. While I agree that our deep passing game left something to be desired this year, it is not a requirement to win the Super Bowl.

The Following is the percent of pass attempts each QB had in the area shown on the left during the regular season they won the the Super Bowl. As you can see, they are all around the same. For the most part, 65% to 68% of all attempts are from BLOS to 10 yards out. That is pretty much the standard for winning QB in the league at this point. BTW, the total number of TD's thrown by these QB's was 173. Only 21, 12%, were 31 yards or longer. Most of the TD's, 62%, were thrown between 1-20 yards downfield. Teddy this past year throw 64.3% of his TD in that range.

Code: Select all

Brady 14     Wilson 13     Flacco 12     Eli 11     Rodgers 10     Brees 09
Pass Thrown BLOS        14.3         17.7          17.6         16.6        24.1          17.2
Pass Thrown 1-10 yds    54.2         46.6          47.8         42.1        42.0          47.8
 Total short	         68.5         64.3          65.4         58.7        66.1          65.0

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds   23.0         20.2          18.9         24.5        23.7          24.0
Pass Thrown 21-30 yds    5.7         10.1           7.6         10.8         5.9           6.2
Total mid               28.7         30.3          26.5         35.3        29.6          30.2

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds   1.4          3.2            5.1          3.8         2.8           2.7
Pass Thrown 41+ yds     1.4          2.2            3.0          2.2         1.5           2.1
Total long              2.8          5.4            8.1          6.0         4.3           4.8
So, were does that leave Teddy? Well, I thought of putting him in that line up but then someone would claim I am trying to compare him to one player or another. So instead, I will use an average of the above numbers to compare to Teddy's over the last two year.

Code: Select all

Average       Bridge
Pass Thrown BLOS         17.9        22.6
Pass Thrown 1-10 yds     46.8        49.6
 Total short             64.7        72.2

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds   22.4         17.6
Pass Thrown 21-30 yds    7.7          5.9
Total mid               30.1         23.5

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds    3.2          2.6
Pass Thrown 41+ yds      2.1          1.7
Total long               5.2          4.3
So, what does it all mean? The Difference between Teddy's 72.2 % and the average of 64.7% is about 3 passes per game based on how many passes Teddy has been asked to throw. Those pass attempts would need to be moved from the short to the mid and long categories. So about 24 more mid range pass attempts and 10 more deep pass attempts over the season, to get to the average the other players have been throwing. 3 passes per game. That's it. Now, remember, this is pass attempts, not completions.

So, all of that and $1.59 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11. :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Shorter throws helped make Teddy Bridgewater NFL's most accurate QB
Bridgewater threw 16.8 percent of his passes in the 10-to-20-yard range, which surprisingly was his best depth range according to PFF's grading.
This seems important. Isn't this the most difficult range to throw in the NFL because it requires accuracy, power,and the ability to read a defense?
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

you can slice the statistics up however you want in the end we had the 31st ranked passing attack which is deplorable. in two games we couldn't score an offensive touchdown against seattle and down the stretch teddy threw for 1 td in the final 3 games. it will take more than a number 1 defense to win a super bowl with an offense that bad.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Teddy Bridgewater: All his 2015 touchdown passes ranked

There's video of each play so whether you care about the rankings or not, it's a chance to re-watch the TD plays, which is fun. :)
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mosscarter wrote:you can slice the statistics up however you want in the end we had the 31st ranked passing attack which is deplorable. in two games we couldn't score an offensive touchdown against seattle and down the stretch teddy threw for 1 td in the final 3 games. it will take more than a number 1 defense to win a super bowl with an offense that bad.
As you said, "you can slice the statistics up however you want".

Vikings passing offense.

31st in Yards per game
31st in TD's
32 in attempts per game
18th in yards per attempt
26th in interceptions
8th in sacks given up

I believe the first two on the list have a lot to do with number three on the list. But then all I am doing with my "stats" is showing what Bridgewater and the Vikings need to do to step up the passing game. I have no delusions about exactly were the Vikings passing game stands, as well as no delusions as to what needs to be fixed. On the other hand I understand the Teddy Bridgewater will be the Vikings QB next year and am looking at things he needs to do improve his numbers to bring this team back to the Super Bowl.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Some people want some magical QB to appear on the Vikings team next year and take this team to the playoffs. Well folks, it's not going to happen. Teddy Bridgewater is going to be the QB next year, unless he gets hurt. I don't see any QB that the Vikings could possibly draft or sign that would take his place. Can he fix what supposedly is wrong with him? I don't know. Can he bring his game to the next level? I don't know. What I do know is this, we can complain about him all we want, he's not going anywhere. And if you really don't like him, fine. I have yet to see anyone come up with a viable alternative to Bridgewater at QB.

So, if you want Teddy gone, answer this question. Who is going to replace him that can and will do a better job? Not woulda, coulda shoulda's. Give us a viable QB that the Vikings could actually have a chance of bringing in.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Raptorman wrote:Some people want some magical QB to appear on the Vikings team next year and take this team to the playoffs. Well folks, it's not going to happen. Teddy Bridgewater is going to be the QB next year, unless he gets hurt. I don't see any QB that the Vikings could possibly draft or sign that would take his place. Can he fix what supposedly is wrong with him? I don't know. Can he bring his game to the next level? I don't know. What I do know is this, we can complain about him all we want, he's not going anywhere. And if you really don't like him, fine. I have yet to see anyone come up with a viable alternative to Bridgewater at QB.

So, if you want Teddy gone, answer this question. Who is going to replace him that can and will do a better job? Not woulda, coulda shoulda's. Give us a viable QB that the Vikings could actually have a chance of bringing in.
And a reminder, Zimmer has stated publicly, more than once, that he loves Teddy and Teddy is the Viking's QB and will continue to be the Viking QB , without question.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:Teddy Bridgewater: All his 2015 touchdown passes ranked

There's video of each play so whether you care about the rankings or not, it's a chance to re-watch the TD plays, which is fun. :)
Definitely fun, I love that play Wallace scored his 2 TD's on, that's what I'm talking about when running horizontally away from coverage can be just as effective as going vertical behind coverage with our "track team" of WR's. Great play design and execution of it.

It'll be nice when we don't have to leave Rudolph in to block all the time, so many of TB's nice throws throughout the year where to Rudolph, a guy he obviously trusts a lot.

Can't wait to see what we look like next year, I'm already excited and the superbowl hasn't even been played yet!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mondry wrote:
Can't wait to see what we look like next year, I'm already excited and the superbowl hasn't even been played yet!
Yeah, the superbowl can't come soon enough. I just want it over with so we can move on to next year.

But I am hoping to see AZ and DEN, mainly because I don't like the other two teams.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings’ GM: Teddy Bridgewater going to be ‘something special’ down the road

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... -the-road/
“Teddy, he’s just so calm through the ups and downs as he’s growing as a young quarterback,” Spielman told SiriusXM on Thursday night. “His demeanor never changes and the one thing I know is he’s always the first one in the building and the last one to leave the building. That resonates down through that locker room and all those guys see that. I think the key to that position is showing your teammates you’re willing to do everything you can to give them the best chance to win.

“And I know our team and our coaches and myself really believe this kid is really going to be something special down the road here.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings’ GM: Teddy Bridgewater going to be ‘something special’ down the road

Thanks for the link. I heard a sound clip of that statement from Spielman a little while ago. Of course, he said the same sort of things about Christian Ponder... :whistle:

I'll probably get more grief for saying this but I can't be the only one who would feel a lot better about Bridgewater if, two years into his career, there was more positive talk about his actual performance and production and less about his calm demeanor and work ethic. Maybe that demeanor should change a little more often. A little more passion and fire on the field might be good for his game.

That said, his calm attitude certainly serves him well at times. It was evident in the composure he showed at the end of the playoff game, leading the Vikes downfield into scoring position.

Ultimately, I have to disagree with Spielman that the key to the QB position is showing teammates a willingness to do everything you can to give them the best chance to win. That seems like part of the equation but the other part, the biggest part, is performance on the field. As the article said:
Spielman holds optimism in his young quarterback despite the Vikings’ passing attack rarely getting off the ground last season. Head coach Mike Zimmer, the play caller on defense, openly wondered if he was involved enough on offense, and hasn’t hesitated to make changes this offseason.

Zimmer was clear when asked about new faces at quarterbacks this month.

“I think that we always want to look to bring quarterbacks in,” Zimmer said at his season-ending press conference. “Not necessarily to compete with Teddy. Teddy is our quarterback, he’s going to be our quarterback and there’s no doubt about that going forward. But we’re always going to be looking for quarterbacks. I think it’s an important position that whether it be in the draft or free agency or wherever, that we continue to have guys at that position.”
Zimmer doesn't want a QB controversy and I think he's smart enough to back Bridgewater until he either has a strong alternative or it's too detrimental to continue doing so (I also think he genuinely believes in the kid). Neither of those situations exist yet. Bridgewater has another offseason in which to grow and the work ethic to take advantage of it. Hopefully, he will and other changes made around him will allow him to take a big step forward next year.

If that doesn't happen, I'm guessing the tone of the comments from both coach and GM will be very different at this time next year.

I will now prepare to be slammed for the thoughts expressed above. :)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings’ GM: Teddy Bridgewater going to be ‘something special’ down the road

I like that article a lot, I think the idea of going after the physically talented dudes with good heads on their shoulders and then letting Zimmer and co mold them into good football players is great. Those types of players will pretty much always have a lot of upside and a high ceiling. Clearly we can do that on defense but I still worry about the offense. The one sample we have of a guy like that (Patterson) is not even being developed by Norv and that's not going to work out. Another move that's a bit of a head scratcher was Norv banging the table for a guy like Teddy who doesn't really fit his offense. Norv's a good X's and O's guy but he doesn't really seem capable of elevating his players the way Zimmer does nor having the ability to identify the type of players he REALLY needs to make his offense work.

Given the moves Zimmer made I think he really does realize there is a problem over there and has taken steps to address it and upgrade the coaching. My guess is he probably wants to upgrade the O-line and listen to what Sparano and Shurmur have to say about the offense and see how Norv reacts and responds before out right changing coordinators. Hopefully we can get that same dynamic that's worked on defense with picks like Barr and Hunter to start working on offense.

I've read good things about Tony Sparano in that sense, that he's usually made the right personnel moves and the guys he picks out tend to have success under him so that's got me excited for this upcoming draft and FA. The more coaches on the team that can identify what they need and then coach the players to be successful on the field the better and I believe that's why Spielman has been a much "stronger" drafter recently. The whole dynamic between GM and coaches worked out really well last draft.
Last edited by mondry on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the link. I heard a sound clip of that statement from Spielman a little while ago. Of course, he said the same sort of things about Christian Ponder... :whistle:

I'll probably get more grief for saying this but I can't be the only one who would feel a lot better about Bridgewater if, two years into his career, there was more positive talk about his actual performance and production and less about his calm demeanor and work ethic. Maybe that demeanor should change a little more often. A little more passion and fire on the field might be good for his game.

That said, his calm attitude certainly serves him well at times. It was evident in the composure he showed at the end of the playoff game, leading the Vikes downfield into scoring position.

Ultimately, I have to disagree with Spielman that the key to the QB position is showing teammates a willingness to do everything you can to give them the best chance to win. That seems like part of the equation but the other part, the biggest part, is performance on the field. As the article said:
Zimmer doesn't want a QB controversy and I think he's smart enough to back Bridgewater until he either has a strong alternative or it's too detrimental to continue doing so (I also think he genuinely believes in the kid). Neither of those situations exist yet. Bridgewater has another offseason in which to grow and the work ethic to take advantage of it. Hopefully, he will and other changes made around him will allow him to take a big step forward next year.

If that doesn't happen, I'm guessing the tone of the comments from both coach and GM will be very different at this time next year.

I will now prepare to be slammed for the thoughts expressed above. :)
He said the same things about Ponder eh. I would love to see that clip cause I doubt it very seriously. But you usually are right so if you could find it I would like to see it.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'm definitely geeked about the Sparano hire for the reason Mondry highlighted. The guy seems to have an eye for talent in the trenches. Which literally makes him the only guy in the building, IMO.
-
I found it very telling the article commented on Zimmer openly questioning whether he was involved enough on offense. That fact that he questioned it himself suggest to me that Norv has been the offensive head coach to some degree...rather than coordinator.
I'm hoping Shurmur will be a boon for the TB/Norv relationship in some form or another.
And I definitely agree that it's time to get serious about bringing in another quality QB. Not so much because there are questions marks about TB, and there are, IMO, but this team has shown that it's good enough to need another guy who can come in and win games if TB should get injured. Just like McCarron, Osweiler, Cousins, etc....
If they continue to be blase about depth at QB and O-line....they'll continue paying for it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:He said the same things about Ponder eh.
Just to be clear, I wrote "the same sort of things". I wasn't suggesting he said the exact same things.
I would love to see that clip cause I doubt it very seriously. But you usually are right so if you could find it I would like to see it.
I recall Spielman citing some specifics about Ponder's game, work ethic, etc. in an interview that I think was posted on KFAN's site but I can't find it now and it looks like they don't maintain an online archive of articles that goes that far back. However, here's an example similar to the "“And I know our team and our coaches and myself really believe this kid is really going to be something special down the road here" comment about Bridgewater above:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-gm-b ... 179319781/
“I know everybody in this organization believes Christian Ponder is our guy,” Spielman said. “And I have full, 100 percent belief that Christian Ponder's going to be our quarterback heading into the future.
He must have made similar statements at least half a dozen times during those relatively rare occasions when he addressed the media. There's no doubt that, at one point, he was fully backing Ponder, just as he's fully backing Bridgewater.

It's not that relevant anyway, He's naturally going to back these young QBs when the organization is still counting on them.