Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater needs to refine mechanics

Post by autobon7 »

losperros wrote: The Vikings already have competent receivers that get open and can catch. Now what they need are passes that can be caught, especially on the deep routes. The quality of this group of receivers is the last thing I worry about when compared to the #### pass blocking and some of Teddy's shortcomings that need fixing.
Agree 100%....thank you for some well timed logic losperros :appl: I sure hope we DO NOT waste a high pick for a WR when the obvious deficiencies are at OL and S.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote: Nobody has said or intimated he needs to "make major changes" to his mechanics except Ben Goessling and several people on this board.

Its a false perception.
So if Bridgewater just keeps playing the way he played to end this season you'd be OK with that?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

losperros wrote: The Vikings already have competent receivers that get open and can catch. Now what they need are passes that can be caught, especially on the deep routes. The quality of this group of receivers is the last thing I worry about when compared to the #### pass blocking and some of Teddy's shortcomings that need fixing.
From what I've seen and what the stats indicate, the Vikings do have receivers who can get open and (mostly) catch the ball, but they aren't very dynamic once it is in their hands. Diggs was the only WR I saw that consistently seemed to be a threat to break away after making a catch. The others guys were capable of getting open, but didn't seem to present many problems beyond that.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IrishViking wrote: 1 passing touchdown in 3 games is pretty poor but it has a lot more to do with the pressure he was under than anything else.
Hopefully Spielman can help get that resolved over the offseason. I personally am not convinced that Bridgewater will be more aggressive simply because he has more time. He seemed to struggle with his downfield recognition all year regardless of whether he had time in the pocket.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

VikingLord wrote: Hopefully Spielman can help get that resolved over the offseason. I personally am not convinced that Bridgewater will be more aggressive simply because he has more time. He seemed to struggle with his downfield recognition all year regardless of whether he had time in the pocket.
What play was it that he had time in the pocket :?: :wink: Was there one of those :? I remember him and Ponder running for their lives on most passing downs. This o-line blatantly sucks/sucked over the last several years when it comes to pass protection. To me, revamping that o-line will make a tremendous difference.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

VikingLord wrote:From what I've seen and what the stats indicate, the Vikings do have receivers who can get open and (mostly) catch the ball, but they aren't very dynamic once it is in their hands. Diggs was the only WR I saw that consistently seemed to be a threat to break away after making a catch. The others guys were capable of getting open, but didn't seem to present many problems beyond that.
Some of that would probably change with different scheming and including Johnson and Patterson in the passing game. I agree that Diggs runs well after the catch. Actually, I think Wright does too, depending on what kind of pass is thrown to him.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

losperros wrote: Some of that would probably change with different scheming and including Johnson and Patterson in the passing game. I agree that Diggs runs well after the catch. Actually, I think Wright does too, depending on what kind of pass is thrown to him.

Agreed, I think Bridgewater IS the answer for us but even I agree when the Defender is wrapping you up as you catch or you have to break stride to catch the ball, you aren't going anywhere.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

losperros wrote: Some of that would probably change with different scheming and including Johnson and Patterson in the passing game. I agree that Diggs runs well after the catch. Actually, I think Wright does too, depending on what kind of pass is thrown to him.
Diggs, Wright, Johnson and Wallace have all shown decent run after the catch ability. Cordarelle Patterson has shown exceptional RAC ability, unfortunately he hasn't shown the "catch" ability effectively.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

anyone who is satisfied with how Teddy is performing has already conceded that we will NEVER be a contender. He is NOT good enough, yet. Not by a long shot. Its time for him to show his stuff or become a back up. The TEAM is obligated to provide him an new OL and maybe one more good receiver.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

chicagopurple wrote:anyone who is satisfied with how Teddy is performing has already conceded that we will NEVER be a contender. He is NOT good enough, yet. Not by a long shot. Its time for him to show his stuff or become a back up. The TEAM is obligated to provide him an new OL and maybe one more good receiver.

I don't think anyone is suggesting his current level of play is "good enough". However, I think many are satisfied with Teddy as the QB because he has shown a number of positive traits that go beyond just pure statistics. They also acknowledge the severe deficiency we are currently working with on the offensive line, and the simple understanding that Teddy is young and should continue to make strides moving forward. On top of that, I myself believe that a large part of Teddy's lack of numbers comes from a philosophical strategy which our coaches incorporated, that being that Teddy was not asked to force the ball down the field, nor was he asked to pass the ball in high quantities. This was due to the effectiveness of our running game and a great defense. Essentially, if we asked Teddy to do more, we may have had more passing TDs and yards, however we would have more turnovers and shorter drives when the passes were not completed, putting more stress on our defense. Our team was built to play low scoring football, that means our offense was better off to take care of the ball, try to keep time of possession on our side and play a game of field position. I know that's not a strategy many fans like, but it is an effective strategy and got us into the playoffs and in position to keep our playoff push going had we kicked a chip shot FG.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: I think you're right to be concerned. We have a thread on the board right now about Adrian Peterson being the "elephant in the room" but that idiom might be even more appropriate for Bridgewater. His disappointing second season strikes me as an uncomfortable truth many are understandably reluctant to discuss. As another saying goes, winning covers up a lot of flaws. It helped cover Bridgewater's in 2015. His mechanics and, indeed, his overall performance should be a legitimate concern to the Vikings going forward. I think you raised a good point with the "confidence curve" that could accompany a change in mechanics too. Bridgewater has also acknowledged that he needs to be aggressive next year but a change in mindset like that might be very difficult for a QB who clearly prefers to make the safe throw.
You know Jim, Teddy being aggressive and having confidence that there is NOT a throw that he cannot make is a big difference. Coaches start monkeying with his mechanics along with his lack of confidence in it could be a recipe for disaster.
I am for anyone on this team to succeed to their highest level while they are in Purple. I am most critical of the most critical position of the team. If any position is in need, it is in need. Not only would it be nice to have a capable backup at QB but to have one to push the incumbent would even be better. I see how people can want for TB to succeed but I have seen enough so far that I don't see investing long term. He will have to make a huge leap as far as his development this year. If that doesn't happen as far as better throws and recognition, the experiment should be over.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Purple Reign wrote: I am also concerned. Isn't this pretty much the same thing Fraiser said about Ponder after about every game, that most of Ponder's issues were just some minor mechanics that could be corrected with practice? Look how that turned out.
:lol: :lol:
With Ponder it might have been minor and if he couldn't and LF and whoever else threw in their two cents couldn't fix his "minor" problems, it would be close to a biblical miracle to fix a blaring mechanics issue like TB has. But we have no choice in the matter. All we can do is hope for the best and better luck next time.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

how can you say he isn't bad irishviking? how many field goals did walsh kick in the giants game and then he was asked to kick 4 more two weeks later and missed a crucial one. when you put that much pressure on your kicker throughout the season he's bound to miss some. great golfers miss short putts all the time. i'm simply trying to look down the road i want to see this kid do well (believe it or not), but i haven't seen one single sign of improvement. someone said i'm not contributing to the board, well explain to me how teddy bridgewater improved at all this season because i didn't see one area. really, enlighten me as to how he's gotten better. the line stunk last year and he did a better job then (and without wallace or diggs).
and i have to be honest i don't buy the fact that wallace, johnson, and patterson are all basically useless. mike wallace did well with every other team he was on and yet didn't have a single 100 yard game the entire season? he's one of the fastest players in the league and people are saying he can't get open? he wasn't the problem. either way, this season seriously hurt him financially he won't make half of what he was making.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I watch all the games and most of all the other teams in the league also ,and before they start screwing with his mechanics ,get him some O linemen that give him at least the league average in protection time to throw.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mosscarter wrote:how can you say he isn't bad irishviking? how many field goals did walsh kick in the giants game and then he was asked to kick 4 more two weeks later and missed a crucial one. when you put that much pressure on your kicker throughout the season he's bound to miss some. great golfers miss short putts all the time. i'm simply trying to look down the road i want to see this kid do well (believe it or not), but i haven't seen one single sign of improvement. someone said i'm not contributing to the board, well explain to me how teddy bridgewater improved at all this season because i didn't see one area. really, enlighten me as to how he's gotten better. the line stunk last year and he did a better job then (and without wallace or diggs).
and i have to be honest i don't buy the fact that wallace, johnson, and patterson are all basically useless. mike wallace did well with every other team he was on and yet didn't have a single 100 yard game the entire season? he's one of the fastest players in the league and people are saying he can't get open? he wasn't the problem. either way, this season seriously hurt him financially he won't make half of what he was making.
Dude, did TB pee in your wheaties? He is the best young QB the Vikes have had since Cullpepper. His improving record speaks for itself. Zimmer has recently said that he LOVES TB and that TB is this teams QB. His team mates all seem to respect him and accept him as their QB. If somehow writing a 1000 posts about how much you hate him helps you, then rant on. But rest assure TB is and will continue to be the Viking's QB for a very long time. Get used to the idea or get over it would be my best advice.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.