Thoughts on Disappointing Seasons & Blair Walsh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Thoughts on Disappointing Seasons & Blair Walsh

Post by PurpleMustReign »

beerfan wrote:I think part of the problem is there is no better options at kicker. I know people will call for Gould but he's not as good as he once was, and we still need someone to handle kickoffs. At least Blair Walsh has a strong leg. I may be missing someone who's decent and available, but I didn't see any free agents who would actually be an upgrade.
Gould would still be good inside 50. Walsh can kickoff and the do the long FGs.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Gould would still be good inside 50. Walsh can kickoff and the do the long FGs.

Just remember, Gould missed some key FGs last year. He's been a great kicker over the course of his career but at this stage, it's not entirely clear that he would be an upgrade.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

[quote="Mothman"

Just remember, Gould missed some key FGs last year. He's been a great kicker over the course of his career but at this stage, it's not entirely clear that he would be an upgrade.[/quote]

That's the issue.......do you trade (not actually trade) one inconsistent kicker for another? If there is not a clear upgrade available then we are forced to stick with Walsh.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

autobon7 wrote:[quote="Mothman"

Just remember, Gould missed some key FGs last year. He's been a great kicker over the course of his career but at this stage, it's not entirely clear that he would be an upgrade.
That's the issue.......do you trade (not actually trade) one inconsistent kicker for another? If there is not a clear upgrade available then we are forced to stick with Walsh.[/quote]
I can't believe that anyone is on worse shape than Walsh right now. There has to be someone who can make fgs more consistently.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Not to mention that we know that Walshs peak is literally perfection. I think as long as Preifer is here and Walsh doesn't lose us a game hell stay.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

They're stuck with Walsh for the season like it or not. There aren't better options currently.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:
Was that in Soldier Field? I can see missing a few out there with the winds. I was hopeful kicking indoors would help Walsh but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Was that in Soldier Field? I can see missing a few out there with the winds. I was hopeful kicking indoors would help Walsh but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.
At least one of them was in Soldier Field.

Is Walsh's problem all in his head? Is there an issue with his mechanics or have yet to truly develop the necessary chemistry between snapper, holder and kicker to make most kicks automatic?

Kickers miss. They all miss so it's really a question of how many/what kind of misses are acceptable. Missing 2 extra points already is clearly unacceptable, even though they've been moved back. Missing from 56 yards against the wind in week 1? that's understandable.

His other 2 misses this season have been from 37 yards in week 1 and 46 last night. 37 yard FGs need to be close to automatic. A 46 yard miss shouldn't happen often but that's not really a "gimme". even a good kicker will miss from that distance once in a while.

He's clearly still struggling and after such a huge miss in the playoffs, it's hard not to be nervous about him but I'm not ready to replace him yet either. Hopefully, he'll get it together soon and go on a nice long streak of successful kicks.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: At least one of them was in Soldier Field.

Is Walsh's problem all in his head? Is there an issue with his mechanics or have yet to truly develop the necessary chemistry between snapper, holder and kicker to make most kicks automatic?

Kickers miss. They all miss so it's really a question of how many/what kind of misses are acceptable. Missing 2 extra points already is clearly unacceptable, even though they've been moved back. Missing from 56 yards against the wind in week 1? that's understandable.

His other 2 misses this season have been from 37 yards in week 1 and 46 last night. 37 yard FGs need to be close to automatic. A 46 yard miss shouldn't happen often but that's not really a "gimme". even a good kicker will miss from that distance once in a while.

He's clearly still struggling and after such a huge miss in the playoffs, it's hard not to be nervous about him but I'm not ready to replace him yet either. Hopefully, he'll get it together soon and go on a nice long streak of successful kicks.

Like I said above. he has been perfect before. Not saying that he has to be all the time but that, to me, proves this is in his head.

He always misses left. At this point he should just try to shank it right, he'll make it 19/20 times then
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:Like I said above. he has been perfect before. Not saying that he has to be all the time but that, to me, proves this is in his head.
I get what you're saying: he's set and achieved a higher standard in the past. However, he's never been perfect. Even in his best pro season, he missed 3 FGs.

Whatever the problem is, I hope they can correct it.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: I get what you're saying: he's set and achieved a higher standard in the past. However, he's never been perfect. Even in his best pro season, he missed 3 FGs.

Whatever the problem is, I hope they can correct it.

I thought he hit every FG his first year?

My bad.

Either way though, his bar is high, you don't bail on what you know works until its totally untenable. I don't think the Vikings are there and like you have all pointed out, no viable alt
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Walsh is 28th place in the league with 73% overall accuracy over the last 4 games.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Cliff wrote:Walsh is 28th place in the league with 73% overall accuracy over the last 4 games.

See it could be worse. :thumbsup:
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

IrishViking wrote:
See it could be worse. :thumbsup:
Wait... there's 4 kickers worse than Walsh?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: At least one of them was in Soldier Field.

It's been a while but I feel like one of the scouting reports coming out of college was he had a great season followed up by a really poor one. Or vice versa. In any case, kicking slumps may not be something new for him.