Vintage

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vintage

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Thanks. That was very informative!
Made a ton of sense.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Yeah, I'm kind of tired of the whole "we're jinxed" manifesto.

I've been a fan of this team since 1969, and I've seen plenty of absolutely fantastic moments. We've won 19 division titles and have been to four Super Bowls. I've seen incredible comebacks, such as the Tommy Kramer coming out party when the Vikes overcame a 27-point 4th quarter deficit, or the Miracle at the Met game from 1980, another Kramer classic. There have been SO MANY memorable victories, many in huge games.

It just hasn't happened in a few years.

The Seattle loss sucks. It just does. But it does not, by any stretch of the imagination, represent some kind of curse or jinx. This team has won big games before, and they will again. We have the right man at the helm in Mike Zimmer. This ship is headed in the right direction.
Excellent post Kapp......
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote:
Who said anything about a curse? or a jinx? I think you're the first one in this thread to use those words.
Not the first.

All I'm saying is that a team has to play awfully well to have the kind of success our team has enjoyed. I want to see us win a championship as bad as the next guy, but I will never call this organization a bunch of chokers or give up on them. If I go to my grave never having tasted a championship, I'll still be proud to call myself a loyal fan of the Minnesota Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Not the first.

All I'm saying is that a team has to play awfully well to have the kind of success our team has enjoyed. I want to see us win a championship as bad as the next guy, but I will never call this organization a bunch of chokers or give up on them. If I go to my grave never having tasted a championship, I'll still be proud to call myself a loyal fan of the Minnesota Vikings.
The two posts immediately after mine (DK's and yours) are the first to bring up a curse/ jinx and it felt to me like you were implying that I was a proponent of that kind of thinking. I dislike having my views misrepresented, especially when I'm in a sour mood and it's coming from fellow suffering Vikings fans. No one had mentioned the idea of a curse except DK, who made an inference that was erroneous (if it was aimed at my post).

I agree with your thoughts on not giving up on them. I don't think that's a choice for me. I will admit that I do contemplate whether I want my son pulled into this unique form of annual suffering, but in my own case, I will stick by their side all the way. This one is easier to bounce back from anyways, since it feels like the team is trending upward.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: The two posts immediately after mine (DK's and yours) are the first to bring up a curse/ jinx and it felt to me like you were implying that I was a proponent of that kind of thinking. I dislike having my views misrepresented, especially when I'm in a sour mood and it's coming from fellow suffering Vikings fans. No one had mentioned the idea of a curse except DK, who made an inference that was erroneous (if it was aimed at my post).

I agree with your thoughts on not giving up on them. I don't think that's a choice for me. I will admit that I do contemplate whether I want my son pulled into this unique form of annual suffering, but in my own case, I will stick by their side all the way. This one is easier to bounce back from anyways, since it feels like the team is trending upward.
Obviously, by the bold type in the quote I referenced, it wasn't aimed at you. It also wasn't aimed at DK. It was aimed at the general idea that because the Vikings have had some disappointing losses to end their seasons, they're somehow destined to lose every important game this way. I happen to disagree with this notion. I go into every game believing they can win.

As for me, I WANT my sons to be Vikings fans, and they are. I'm so proud of this franchise. The team has given me so much over the years. And even with this disappointment, I believe they're going to win the Super Bowl at some point. Been believing that for nearly 50 years, and I ain't gonna stop now.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Texas Vike wrote:This one is easier to bounce back from anyways, since it feels like the team is trending upward.
That's my main consolation here. Vikings are just setting it up so they are playing the super bowl at home in a couple years.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Obviously, by the bold type in the quote I referenced, it wasn't aimed at you. It also wasn't aimed at DK. It was aimed at the general idea that because the Vikings have had some disappointing losses to end their seasons, they're somehow destined to lose every important game this way. I happen to disagree with this notion. I go into every game believing they can win.
I disagree with this notion too, which is why it bothered me to have other posters imply that I was a proponent of it.

I enjoy your posts, Kapp, and respect your takes, so I just wanted to clarify this point.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Crax wrote: That's my main consolation here. Vikings are just setting it up so they are playing the super bowl at home in a couple years.
THAT's the attitude!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Texas Vike wrote:The two posts immediately after mine (DK's and yours) are the first to bring up a curse/ jinx and it felt to me like you were implying that I was a proponent of that kind of thinking. I dislike having my views misrepresented, especially when I'm in a sour mood and it's coming from fellow suffering Vikings fans. No one had mentioned the idea of a curse except DK, who made an inference that was erroneous (if it was aimed at my post).
You took my post too literally. I doubt there are too many people who truly believe in curses or jinxes, it was just an offhand way of saying that many fanbases expect the worst possible outcome in any given situation. I wasn't speaking of literal sorcery at work, I was just trying to say heartbreak isn't patented by Minnesota.

It also frustrates me to no end to hear the implication that the past, present, and future are all connected to inevitable futility/choking, which is why I made my post to begin with, but that's just my opinion and I'll leave it at that.

For what it's worth, my first post (or the last line of this one) was not directed at you specifically and I apologize if that's how it came across.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

tmscr wrote:I wish someone with time on their hands would research who has had the most difficult postseason/win and in losses. I simply cannot imagine there has been a worse team than the Vikings. Teams like the lions barely make it. The only ones who may be close could possibly be the Browns and bengals.
The Bills also to a certain extent, I suppose. I mean they lost that one Super Bowl because Scott Norwood missed a FG. They subsequently went on to lose the next three, although there was probably little sense of sudden agony/heartbreak because the other years were lopsided scores (although they led Dallas in that last game). The team was also the victim of the Music City Miracle and has not even made the playoffs since that point, and it serves them right for starting Rob Johnson instead of the greatest QB of all-time (up in Canada at least) in Doug Flutie.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

vikesfan87 wrote: The Bills also to a certain extent, I suppose. I mean they lost that one Super Bowl because Scott Norwood missed a FG. They subsequently went on to lose the next three, although there was probably little sense of sudden agony/heartbreak because the other years were lopsided scores (although they led Dallas in that last game). The team was also the victim of the Music City Miracle and has not even made the playoffs since that point, and it serves them right for starting Rob Johnson instead of the greatest QB of all-time (up in Canada at least) in Doug Flutie.

That was my other team in the 90s!
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Texas Vike wrote:
That was my other team in the 90s!
I guess you have a very good threshold for pain and heartbreak :lol: . I rooted for the Bills myself for a couple of years because Flutie was playing there, but put them aside when Wade Phillips decided to start Johnson.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:You took my post too literally. I wasn't speaking of literal sorcery at work

For whatever reason your choice of wording made me lmao, so thanks for that. :lol:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Speaking of pain, it happens to everybody.

Play `Hurt' by Nine inch Nails on a loop for four hours and you will begin to understand how last years NFCCG felt.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Jordysghost wrote:Speaking of pain, it happens to everybody.

Play `Hurt' by Nine inch Nails on a loop for four hours and you will begin to understand how last years NFCCG felt.

Hey now, You know the rules. You can either

A. Rub your history of championships in our face whenever we get uppity but use them to balance out the pain of loss

OR

B. Never mention your history of winning ever again, but be allowed to lament heartbreaking losses.

:tongue: