Seahawks @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread - Wild Card Rd

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

tmscr
Transition Player

Re: Seahawks @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread - Wild Car

Post by tmscr »

The coaches change, the players change, the stadium changes....but everything else remains the same. Can't get out of their own way and win a big game. All the talent in the world can't save a team that can't handle the pressure. I can't even begin to imagine how many things would have to go out way in order to win a super bowl. Cursed.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

[quote="DK Sweets"]I needed some time to breathe after the end of the game. I haven't read any posts in here yet, but here are my thoughts:

SKOL Vikings.

That really all I need to say right now. I don't need to explain to any of you how much that game hurt. I don't need to focus on the bad plays or point fingers at certain players (there is one player who I think needs replaced, but I've felt that way all year long. Respecting the "grieving" process, if you will, I'll touch on that further into the offseason).

This team didn't achieve the ultimate goal, but this season was a success. Every team has to start somewhere, and I feel like this is a loss that can be learned from (don't mistake this as a moral victory. It's not. But it is a teaching moment).

I'm so proud of this team, and there's not another team I would rather cheer for in the league.

Thanks for sharing this season with me, guys.

SKOL VIKINGS[/quote

Agree 100% :pour: :beerock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

tmscr wrote:The coaches change, the players change, the stadium changes....but everything else remains the same. Can't get out of their own way and win a big game. All the talent in the world can't save a team that can't handle the pressure. I can't even begin to imagine how many things would have to go out way in order to win a super bowl. Cursed.
You can leave this board anytime now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: You can leave this board anytime now
Sorry, bud. I think I'll stay. Been a fan my entire life and I am in my 30s. Maybe someday the planets will align and the football gods who have been making sure the vikings lose in fantastic, gut-wrenching fashion year after year will be asleep and somehow the team will get to, let alone win, a super bowl. Until that time, I will continue to watch and have Lucy pull that football away as I watch the team invent yet another embarrassing way to lose a game. Eventually, they will have lost in every way conceivable, so maybe they will be prepared and finally win a big game. It might take the ghosts of Gary Anderson, Blair Walsh, too many men in the huddle Childress, josh mccown, Brett favre, bud grant, Tavaris Jackson and whoever else has conspired to make my football life a misery. But it WILL happen.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

This is one playoff game folks. One. It's not like we lost the Super Bowl. How many people here can honestly say they even had an inkling that this team would make the playoffs this year? I know a few of us did. I did not expect them to win this game. And it's not because they don't have the talent. It's because they don't have the experience. This is a learning experience for everyone on the team that has not been in a playoff game before. And there are many of them. Considering it was colder than Hell, (really it was, http://www.wunderground.com/us/mi/hell?MR=1 ) they played a good game. They hung with a team that has been in the Super Bowl the last two years that was on a hot streak coming into the game.

Believe me when I tell you, this is nothing like the sting of losing a Super Bowl. Not even close. Next year, the players will be another year older, wiser and hopefully better. This is just one step on the ladder to the big game.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

What a great season.
We were expecting nothing close to this. An NFC North title. A playoff game we should have won.
They played a hard fought game and took arguably the hottest team in football to the end and should have won.
Cannot say that the outlook is bad anymore. This young team is going to gain a lot from this game.

I for one am really looking forward to this offseason.
Our holes are few. We have excellent player leadership and a great HC. Hopefully somebody hires Norv away !!!
I really hope Spielman and company find the right fits. I also think that we get some top FA to show up here because we're so close !

Skol Vikings !
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He shanked it. Missed it completely. He choked. God, why make excuses for a professional NFL player? He chocked.
LOL, no no, but if he had a chock built into his left cleet he could swing his kicking leg more accurately.

i started to well up with tears when we were showing promise of pulling out the victory, but when ol boy missed the kick, they dried right up.

can somebody commemorate the missed kick by creating a .gif that shows the goal post sliding side to side so when he misses it actually looks like it would have required a little bit more skill?

Until next year,
PEACE B
Last edited by purpletinted66 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Raptorman wrote:This is one playoff game folks. One. It's not like we lost the Super Bowl. How many people here can honestly say they even had an inkling that this team would make the playoffs this year? I know a few of us did. I did not expect them to win this game. And it's not because they don't have the talent. It's because they don't have the experience. This is a learning experience for everyone on the team that has not been in a playoff game before. And there are many of them. Considering it was colder than Hell, (really it was, http://www.wunderground.com/us/mi/hell?MR=1 ) they played a good game. They hung with a team that has been in the Super Bowl the last two years that was on a hot streak coming into the game.

Believe me when I tell you, this is nothing like the sting of losing a Super Bowl. Not even close. Next year, the players will be another year older, wiser and hopefully better. This is just one step on the ladder to the big game.
They will certainly benefit from having played in a close playoff game. I just hope the gut-wrenching way in which they lost doesn't put into place any kind of mental block that you do sometimes see (hello cincy). Let's face it, the vikings clubs have been mental midgets for decades. Think there won't be a big time FG attempt next year or whenever they make the playoffs again? Even if they lost against Arizona, a win in this game would have been exponentially beneficial. The pregame prognostications mattered not when it was 9-0 going into the 4th. They choked. Again. Not a good first playoff experience for this new regime.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

tmscr wrote: They will certainly benefit from having played in a close playoff game. I just hope the gut-wrenching way in which they lost doesn't put into place any kind of mental block that you do sometimes see (hello cincy). Let's face it, the vikings clubs have been mental midgets for decades. Think there won't be a big time FG attempt next year or whenever they make the playoffs again? Even if they lost against Arizona, a win in this game would have been exponentially beneficial. The pregame prognostications mattered not when it was 9-0 going into the 4th. They choked. Again. Not a good first playoff experience for this new regime.
I don't see it as choking. I see it as the ball just not bouncing their way. Yeah, I know.........but every game is won or lost on a few big plays. Win those and you win. The play were Wilson is running backwards to get the ball, who left a WR out there by himself to go chase Wilson? Someone did. Had they played their man until the whistle blew, it might have a different ending. Someone dropped coverage.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

tmscr wrote: Sorry, bud. I think I'll stay. Been a fan my entire life and I am in my 30s. Maybe someday the planets will align and the football gods who have been making sure the vikings lose in fantastic, gut-wrenching fashion year after year will be asleep and somehow the team will get to, let alone win, a super bowl. Until that time, I will continue to watch and have Lucy pull that football away as I watch the team invent yet another embarrassing way to lose a game. Eventually, they will have lost in every way conceivable, so maybe they will be prepared and finally win a big game. It might take the ghosts of Gary Anderson, Blair Walsh, too many men in the huddle Childress, josh mccown, Brett favre, bud grant, Tavaris Jackson and whoever else has conspired to make my football life a misery. But it WILL happen.
Well dude I think it's the last thing anyone wants to hear right now. It's a new regime and we are the 3rd youngest team in the NFL. I'm really not worried about us choking in the future like you are and how its "guaranteed" to happen.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

It's been about 5 hours since the game ended. Perfectly fine to blow off some steam.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

I am not sure what you call it. Choking? Karma? Jinx? Curse? Bad Luck? Evil Spell? I have been a die hard fan for over 40 years and all I know is when the chips are down we seem to step on our own dick and come out on the short end of the stick. That is all. See you guys in September. :govikes:
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

purplehaze wrote:I am not sure what you call it. Choking? Karma? Jinx? Curse? Bad Luck? Evil Spell? I have been a die hard fan for over 40 years and all I know is when the chips are down we seem to step on our own dick and come out on the short end of the stick. That is all. See you guys in September. :govikes:
Vikings now have 28 playoff losses. Most in nfl history.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

tmscr wrote: Vikings now have 28 playoff losses. Most in nfl history.
That also means they have been in the playoffs more than most teams in the NFL.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That also means they have been in the playoffs more than most teams in the NFL.
That and a few quarters will get you a call to your mother.