PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
A certain Vikings fan who dwells in Texas and posts on this board might be happy to hear that...
I'd rather find a way to get Boyd. He's the best vertical WR in this draft IMO which fits Turner's offense well. He's a poor mans Randy Moss. Does a great job high pointing the ball and is extremely long and shifty like Moss was. Good route runner and very good hands as well.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I'd rather find a way to get Boyd. He's the best vertical WR in this draft IMO which fits Turner's offense well. He's a poor mans Randy Moss. Does a great job high pointing the ball and is extremely long and shifty like Moss was. Good route runner and very good hands as well.
I agree, but I would be ok with Doctson.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote:It's WAY too early for this stuff...

Why is Hill going to retire when he signed a two year deal and stands to make about $3 million dollars next season?

I want no part of Claiborne and I'm guessing the Chiefs will find a way to keep Allen. If not, he's an intriguing possibility?

A 3 year contract for Harris? :shock: I hope it's cheap.

The draft ideas are interesting, although I'd be somewhat frustrated if they went with defense in R1 again. The need to improve on the o-line is beyond glaring and , as is the need to improve the downfield passing game.
It seems some of the mocks are going with WR's in the first round or defensive.
My thinking is if we don't have time to throw the ball what good is a WR..

Some first round defensive picks
USA today:
Minnesota Vikings - Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: The Vikes could be thinking about their O-line and secondary depth first. But will Mike Zimmer be able to resist stumping for a penetrator like Rankins, whose ability and size (6-2, 304) are reminiscent of Geno Atkins, who starred for Zimmer in Cincinnati.

Bleacher report:
Daron Lee OLB
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PHP-Read your post a few time, your analysis makes sense, as dies your judgement. Plus I got warned before for arguing with you. Seeing that this is the best Vikings site in the world, i can't let it happen again. Ever.

Im going to go through it I think, maybe find some stretched you too, and some I took. I love the Irish, have 3 on there now, but once the smoke clears, i think 3 will remain. 1 that wont come off any time soon is Fuller.

Anyway. We should have a fun time with this draft. We will be going most Def. Don't think Zimmer is finished, So bit upgrade to the Oline. Safety and one really special safety (and the let Rick fill in the rest of the pieces).

Sure hope greenway make it more then one more year on the vikes and retires here.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I just had to add before i really get on WR's. We can get Williams. No ones going to out leap him or out fight him for the ball. His ball skills will do the talking. We can get this guy late.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Been reading some posts and you all make very valid points.
I am a real fan of the way the Raiders handled Nate Allen..
So....
Cut Kalil, Loadholt, Wallace, Locke, Robison, Sullivan.. Obviously there are more but those are the more notable.
I would then turn around and offer new contracts, very team friendly and cap friendly, to Kalil Sullivan and Loadholt. I think that they all resign due to recovering from injury or poor play.
this gives us continuity on the OL if they are healthy and able to play, but also does not prevent us from pursuing top FA OL.
Patterson is interesting because he's not a lot of $ but seems to move to the beat of his own drum. However, he's a game changing threat.
One very interesting idea was the trade of AD to Dallas for swapping draft positions in the 2nd and 5th. That's very realistic, and I would like to add the $ to FA.

Gotta run... Will do more later....
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Saw something today about AD trying to court Megatron to the Vikings ????
Going to take AD restructuring his hefty contract.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IIsweet wrote:Saw something today about AD trying to court Megatron to the Vikings ????
Going to take AD restructuring his hefty contract.
That doesn't make any sense. The Lions still retain his rights. They would have to release him, which I would imagine is unlikely for maybe a year or more even if CJ doesn't play this year. It's a nice fantasy though.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

peterson was simply saying he didn't want johnson to retire. he said nothing about trying to recruit him.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Okay, I was on the move and didn't read it. That was quite the idea though. Can only imagine.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I know we don't need anymore "small" WRs, but Sterling Shepard out of Oklahoma really intrigues me. Granted, he's only 5'10 but they say he is hands-down the best route runner in this class. You pair him with Diggs who is a great route runner and those guys could get some great separation for Teddy. I would love to have a 6'2 or bigger WR on the outside at the same time. Thoughts?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I know we don't need anymore "small" WRs, but Sterling Shepard out of Oklahoma really intrigues me. Granted, he's only 5'10 but they say he is hands-down the best route runner in this class. You pair him with Diggs who is a great route runner and those guys could get some great separation for Teddy. I would love to have a 6'2 or bigger WR on the outside at the same time. Thoughts?
I'm all for this kind of move. I really wanted the Vikings to take Tyler Lockett last season for similar reasons. Polished with playmaking ability coming into the NFL despite a smaller stature. The only question is does he do things good enough or differentiate himself more than Jarius Wright or somebody because the last thing this position group needs is another body to stick into the logjam I think they already have.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I know we don't need anymore "small" WRs, but Sterling Shepard out of Oklahoma really intrigues me. Granted, he's only 5'10 but they say he is hands-down the best route runner in this class. You pair him with Diggs who is a great route runner and those guys could get some great separation for Teddy. I would love to have a 6'2 or bigger WR on the outside at the same time. Thoughts?
Living in OKC I've seen more than my fair share of sooner games. Shepard's solid, it looks like Walter football has him in the 3rd-5th round range and based off what I know of him I think he'd be a steal in the 5th round, a solid to great pick in the 4th, and probably a little to early for him in the 3rd although we'd be picking towards the end so it just depends what's there, it wouldn't kill me if he was the pick.

He's small and he's not terribly fast so he very well could be there in the 5th. Teams obviously emphasis size and speed for good reason but with that said I'd compare his -ceiling- to Greg Jennings with a middle of the road prediction being a slightly better Jarius Wright.

Another one of his problems is getting jammed at the line and given his comp to Jennings and Wright it shouldn't be a surprise that I think he'd have to play in the slot to maximize his ability.

I think that covers his negatives pretty well so his positives are obviously great route running, quickness, and good hands. I said he wasn't fast but that pertains mostly to what his expected 40 time will be and "Straight line" speed. Quickness is more about your acceleration and ability to maintain speed executing your route and that's where he really excels. Jennings ran a 4.48 40 and never had problems getting open because of his route running and quickness, I'd guess it'd be the same for Shepard.

Another thing to note is that in 2015 Shepard had 86 catches for 1288 while he had 51 for 970 the year before and every year he's essentially gotten better. With that said Baker Mayfield was a major upgrade at QB for the 2015 year but it shows the guy can produce in non ideal circumstances as well.

I think this next bit is important to our franchise, he's also just a good, hardworking kid.

"Shepard finished his Sooners career with 223 receptions for 3,482 yards and 26 touchdowns and was a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award as a senior. He earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl, where he earned the Practice Player of the Week award among wide receivers.
Shepard's family connection with Oklahoma football is a heart-warming tale. He wore No. 3 for the Sooners in honor of his late father, Derrick Shepard, who was a receiver for OU from 1983-86.

"That's been a lifelong goal of mine to play at Oklahoma," Shepard told Texans TV at the Senior Bowl. "I've seen a lot of great receivers go through there and seen the mark they've made for themselves and I definitely wanted to be one of those top guys. Fortunately, I was able to do that with some great coaching and a lot of guys around me that are good."

The Sooners' pass catcher also has the talent that makes it more than simply a feel-good story.

He led Oklahoma in receiving as a junior in 2014 with 51 catches for 970 yards and five touchdowns, averaging a conference-best 19.0 yards per reception."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:Living in OKC I've seen more than my fair share of sooner games. Shepard's solid, it looks like Walter football has him in the 3rd-5th round range and based off what I know of him I think he'd be a steal in the 5th round, a solid to great pick in the 4th, and probably a little to early for him in the 3rd although we'd be picking towards the end so it just depends what's there, it wouldn't kill me if he was the pick.

He's small and he's not terribly fast so he very well could be there in the 5th. Teams obviously emphasis size and speed for good reason but with that said I'd compare his -ceiling- to Greg Jennings with a middle of the road prediction being a slightly better Jarius Wright.
Wow. I can't imagine he lasts that long. Hell, Josh Norris sees Shepard as a borderline top-20 overall prospect! I know he probably won't be selected that high but if he makes it to the third round I'd be shocked. I suppose there's a lot of time left still and the combine but man...he's getting a lot of love by draftnicks.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info Mondry!

Overall, I really like the WRs in this class. I would love either Treadwell, Doctson, or Boyd. Shepard and Coleman are smaller but remind me a lot of Diggs and can find ways to separate which we need.

The one guy I'm not big on that I've seen us taking in mocks is Michael Thomas from Ohio St. For whatever reason, he's just a "meh" type WR IMO. Nothing really sticks out to me with him.

We would be in solid position to snag either Treadwell or Doctson at #23. Boyd could very well be there at #54. I would be thrilled to have any of the three. Boyd getting a DUI kind of worries me.

All in all, my WR rankings would be as follows:

1a.) Laquon Treadwell
1b.) Josh Doctson
2.) Tyler Boyd
3.) Corey Coleman
4.) Sterling Shepard
5.) Michael Thomas
-Chazz Palminteri