PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Once again, my addiction to mock off-seasons has hit as soon as ever. I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Munnerlyn, Hill and Jennings in FA, Waynes, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith and Floyd (at the time I had us getting Floyd in the 2nd before he shot up draft boards)) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

I must say, I do a lot of research on these guys and if you look at my previous mocks, many of the guys I have us selecting may not be making an impact for us but they are making a big impact elsewhere. Last year, I had us getting Devonte Parker, Denzel Perryman, Tevin Coleman, Tre Jackson, Jamon Brown, etc. All who are either starting or making some noise as rookies this year. I also had us getting Zach Zenner in UDFA and he made some noise in Detroit.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!

The Vikings finish 11-5 and receive the 26th overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft

2016 Vikings Free Agents

OG - Mike Harris - Three Year Deal
CB - Terence Newman - One Year Deal (Takes a backseat to Waynes though)
LB - Chad Greenway - One Year Deal
TE - Rhett Ellison - Three Year Deal
SS - Andrew Sendejo - Two Year Deal
RB - Matt Asiata - One Year Deal
DT - Kenrick Ellis - One Year Deal
DE - Justin Trattou - One Year Deal
CB - Marcus Sherels - Two Year Deal
LB - Audie Cole - One Year Deal

WR - Adam Thielen - UFA
OL - Carter Bykowski - UFA
LB - Jason Trusnik - UFA
LB - Casey Matthews - UFA
SS - Robert Blanton - UFA
CB - Josh Robinson - UFA

RFA's Retained

FB - Zach Line - Two Year Deal

Retired

QB- Shaun Hill

Restructured Contracts

WR- Mike Wallace- He's clearly overpaid so we restructure his contract. He has been a pretty solid teammate all year and enjoys being here. He is given another year in Norvs system

C- John Sullivan- Injuries are starting to become an issue. I almost had him retiring but I held off. However, we find a way to make him for affordable.

Contract Extensions

FS- Harrison Smith- Five Year Deal- The best safety in the NFL right now. He deserves every penny

LT- Matt Kalil- Maybe? We could hold off for now, who knows.

Spielman continues to go after youth and limit spending in free agency

OLB- Vincent Rey- Three Year Deal

Zimmer mentioned looking into Rey last offseason but he was a restricted FA. Now he is an unrestricted FA and played very well under Zim in Cincy. He can plug in at WLB along with Greenway. Also provides depth at the LB spot which we need right now.

OG/OT- Jeff Allen- Two Year Deal

Allen was a 2nd round pick by KC that has had a few injuries but when healthy, has been very effective. If I'm Spielman, I'm looking to get a reasonable amount of potentially good offensive lineman and letting the coaching staff decide who are the best 5. Allen could very well be one of them. He can play BOTH guard and tackle and provides us with a young versatile OL. He's only 25 years old.

CB- Morris Claiborne- One Year Deal

Some might not like this signing but I love it. Claiborne has been labeled as a bust but we all know he has the tools to be a good CB. And guess who the CB GURU is?? Coach Zim. Claiborne provides great depth. Newman played well this year but he's still not someone you can rely on going into the following season. Waynes will take over as the starter opposite Rhodes but if Waynes or Newman ever went down, our depth would be awful on the outside. Claiborne gives us that depth. I truly believe Claiborne could be a guy that revives his career under Zim.

QB- Matt Moore- One Year Deal

He takes over backup duties behind Teddy. With Hill retiring, we need a veteran to fill that void.

.......Other cheap one year deals are made. Possible PS guys or could squeeze on the final roster

Round 1 (26th)

SS/LB- Su'a Cravens- USC

-Cravens is this years Deone Bucannon who has been an absolute beast in Arizona. Zim loves agility and versatility and Cravens has every bit of it. He can play safety and cover, and he is dangerous when blitzing and against the run. A guy like Cravens can fill a SS and WLB weakness all at the same time. It is exactly what Bucannon did in Arizona. I just have a feeling Zim will fall in love with this kid. Watch the highlights and you'll understand.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5nDbHv_gM

TRADE- The classic Spielman trade up never fails (even though it's not in the first round). The Vikings trade their 2nd round pick and their 5th round pick to the Baltimore Ravens

Round 2 via Baltimore (Top 7 pick)

WR- Tyler Boyd- Pittsburgh

It is completely worth the trade up. This kid reminds me of Randy Moss from a build/athletic standpoint. He is EXTREMELY long and can be a true #1. Pairing him with Diggs, we could have one of the better WR corps in the NFL in a few years. Boyd has crazy length, crazy speed, crazy hands, crazy versatility, etc. One of my man crushes of this year (last years was Coleman and Perryman). We need another WR with Wallace taking a cut and being a suspect WR in this offense. Boyd is a guy we need in this offense. Has Pattersons ability WITH the WR skills needed for the NFL. These highlights will make you :shock:

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAoHquMRlJA

Round 3

OG- Joshua Garnett- Stanford

6’5”, 325 pounds. 54 games played in 4 seasons. Team Captain, 1st-Team All American, and Outland Trophy (best IOL in the nation) winner. Ate seven pieces of 24-ounce prime rib at 2012 Lawry’s Beef Bowl :lol: He's got Yankey's credentials with much more strength and athleticism. Provides a lot more depth along the OL and can eventually start for us.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyhsCki3neg

Round 4

OT- Halapoulivaati Vaitai- TCU

Good luck pronouncing this name :lol: However, he's a 2nd team Big 12 selection and an absoulute mauler. Has a big time mean streak to him that we could use on this OL. He will compete for backup duties at both LT and RT and could be a potential starter down the road.

Round 6

DE/DT- Adam Gotsis- Georgia Tech

Gotsis can play both spots and will provide more depth along the defensive line.

Round 7 via Buffalo

RB- James Conner- Pittsburgh

Conner is a Shaq Thompson type player that could do it all but suffered a knee injury this year. He will compete in camp.

Round 7

OLB- Kevin Anderson- Stanford

Anderson is strong against the run and has upside as a pass rusher.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: PHP's "Way Too Early But I Love It" 2016 Mock Offseason

Post by Jordysghost »

You say 'Spielman continues to go after youth and limit spending in free agency, but not only does it not seem like that has been his MO to this point, it also doesn't seem like what you present in your mock offseason.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:You say 'Spielman continues to go after youth and limit spending in free agency, but not only does it not seem like that has been his MO to this point, it also doesn't seem like what you present in your mock offseason.
How do you figure?? We sign a good to average LB and OL, a "bust" CB and a backup QB. None of them will cost enough to say so. If anything, Rey will be the "priciest" FA which would only be a couple mill a year. Bottom line is, we didnt overpay a "big time FA" and had nothing more than a 3 year deal. Also, every FA is well under 30 except a veteran QB which we would need if Hill retired.

And how has it not appeared that way. Of course he is going to find some veterans along the way but he still goes after younger players in FA. So yeah, Spielman not over-spending and going after youth in FA is exactly what I projected.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
English_Viking
Waterboy

Post by English_Viking »

Love reading these! Alsays good to see how they progress over the offseason. For our 1st round pick i quite like Kearse ?FS). I would have him and Sendejo competing in camp for the FS role but would obviously Kearse wins the position.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

You don't think they draft or sign another safety?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think they need more OL help than that... I would not mind seeing them trade a pick or two to someone for an established OL. I've never been a big Sullivan fan despite his high rankings, and Loadholts injury is a really bad one for an lineman to have. Dallas is going to have to start getting younger soon, so I can see them interested in trading one of theirs for a decent pick.
I like the Moore and Claibourne signings though.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I salute the amount of work and effort you put into these, it is not easy to make a post with that many photos and that much research.

I disagree with your 1st round pick. LB depth is an issue, but OL depth, especially interior OL depth is the biggest weakness of the roster. I think they've reached critical mass and will likely sign somebody in FA as well as invest a high draft pick. I do admit that finding a stud to replace "the other safety" would be tantalizing.

That being said, this might be year where contrarions have the upperhand as OL play has been abyssmal in the NFL so chances are FA guys are going to be OVERPAID and there may be a run in the draft. Also, we should not underestimate how much of a step up getting Loadholt and Sullivan back will be. We have to keep in mind that Harris is technically a starter and he is a rookie. Functionally our starting line was down 3/5 starters given the experiment at RG. From that point of view the performance isn't entirely a surprise.

I wonder if the "market" I mention above will lead to Kalil getting a contract that everyone will complain about for years to come.

IMO, an interesting debate is whether they go OG or OT early. I think getting athletic at Guard is important, but given the way Clemmings has played it seems like adding help at Tackle could be important. My sense is they'll try to go guard early and tackle later.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Another great job, PHP! I love these mocks that you do. Fascinating stuff.

I don't really disagree with any of the draft picks. Not at this point, anyway. And I understand why you chose the picks that you did.

If the Vikings can get Tyler Boyd, that would be great. But I imagine they might have to trim their WR roster. I just don't see them keeping seven WRs around. And I wonder if that would affect Mike Wallace, given his contract. Even if they restructure his deal, the Vikings will be paying big money for a receiver that doesn't seem to have great chemistry with Bridgewater.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:Another great job, PHP! I love these mocks that you do. Fascinating stuff.

I don't really disagree with any of the draft picks. Not at this point, anyway. And I understand why you chose the picks that you did.

If the Vikings can get Tyler Boyd, that would be great. But I imagine they might have to trim their WR roster. I just don't see them keeping seven WRs around. And I wonder if that would affect Mike Wallace, given his contract. Even if they restructure his deal, the Vikings will be paying big money for a receiver that doesn't seem to have great chemistry with Bridgewater.
That is very possible that they don't keep 7. This mock is no indication of who makes the final 53. Wallace could very well be cut.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

The Breeze wrote:You don't think they draft or sign another safety?
Cravens plays safety. They then have Smith, Harris, Sendejo and Exum. How many safeties do you want? :D
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:I think they need more OL help than that... I would not mind seeing them trade a pick or two to someone for an established OL. I've never been a big Sullivan fan despite his high rankings, and Loadholts injury is a really bad one for an lineman to have. Dallas is going to have to start getting younger soon, so I can see them interested in trading one of theirs for a decent pick.
I like the Moore and Claibourne signings though.
I understand where you're coming from with the OL but we're getting a current starter from KC and drafting a 3rd and 4th round OL. PLUS we get Sully and Phil back. That would currently give us:

LT:
Kalil, Vaitai, Shepherd

LG:
Fusco, Garnett

C:
Sullivan, Berger, Easton

RG:
Harris, Allen, Kerin

RT:
Loadholt, Clemmings, Sirles, Bykowski

.....With this you also have plenty of versatility. Allen can play both RG and RT. Berger can play both OG and C. Garnett can play both RG and LG. Vaitai can play both LT and RT.

With that current OL roster, Zim needs to simply start the 5 best OL. If Garnett is better than Fusco, start him. If Allen is better than Harris, start him. Somehow out of that lineup, we need to start the best combination of 5
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:I salute the amount of work and effort you put into these, it is not easy to make a post with that many photos and that much research.

I disagree with your 1st round pick. LB depth is an issue, but OL depth, especially interior OL depth is the biggest weakness of the roster. I think they've reached critical mass and will likely sign somebody in FA as well as invest a high draft pick. I do admit that finding a stud to replace "the other safety" would be tantalizing.

That being said, this might be year where contrarions have the upperhand as OL play has been abyssmal in the NFL so chances are FA guys are going to be OVERPAID and there may be a run in the draft. Also, we should not underestimate how much of a step up getting Loadholt and Sullivan back will be. We have to keep in mind that Harris is technically a starter and he is a rookie. Functionally our starting line was down 3/5 starters given the experiment at RG. From that point of view the performance isn't entirely a surprise.

I wonder if the "market" I mention above will lead to Kalil getting a contract that everyone will complain about for years to come.

IMO, an interesting debate is whether they go OG or OT early. I think getting athletic at Guard is important, but given the way Clemmings has played it seems like adding help at Tackle could be important. My sense is they'll try to go guard early and tackle later.

Well we did sign a FA in this situation and he starts in KC. I hope everyone starts to realize that overpaying for the best OL in FA almost NEVER works out. Last year it was Iupati, who was awful earlier this season but got a little better toward the end. The year before that it was Asamoah who has been benched in Atlanta. The year before that it was Levitre who has been benched in Tennessee. They just don't work out. I would much rather sign an under the radar guy and draft a couple. Garnett is an absolute stud and could start day 1. Vaitai is just as good or better than Clemmings when he was coming out
-Chazz Palminteri
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

would love to see what zimmer could do with clairborne
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Cravens plays safety. They then have Smith, Harris, Sendejo and Exum. How many safeties do you want? :D
I didn't realize he played safety....I was viewing him primarily as a linebacker. I would like to see Sendejo replaced vs re-signed if at all possible. ;)

What on your feelings about drafting a center....even if Sully appears good to go?
I know having Berger can offset the need for another season perhaps.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

vatusay wrote:would love to see what zimmer could do with clairborne
same.....he would be fairly cheap too, IMO