Giants @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Giants @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

Post by yezzir »

Good morning and Skol!!!
:govikes: :smilevike: :v):

Night game.

After beating the Chicago Bears last week, the Minnesota Vikings are almost assuredly headed to the postseason, holding a two-game lead in the wild card race with two games remaining. They can guarantee a coveted playoff spot by beating the New York Giants at TCF Bank Stadium on Sunday Night Football.

The Vikings also could have a trip to the postseason clinched before they step on the field Sunday night, if the Atlanta Falcons lose or the Seattle Seahawks win in the afternoon. Even though they are on the doorstep of their first playoff berth since 2012, however, the Vikings have greater aspirations for this season — their first division crown in six years.

At 9-5, they are still within striking distance of first place in the NFC North standings, and a Vikings win (or a loss by the Green Bay Packers) would then set up a de facto divisional title game in Week 17 at Lambeau Field. A victory in the season finale would make Minnesota the division champ, plus give them the No. 3 seed and a home playoff game on the second weekend of January.

The Giants saw their faint postseason hopes extinguished Saturday night when Washington beat the Philadelphia Eagles to win the NFC East title. This will be their fourth straight playoff-less campaign, their longest drought since the current playoff format was established in 1990. They are also the only NFL team in that span to win a Super Bowl and then miss in the postseason in the next four years.

The Giants certainly had their chances to avoid this disappointing outcome. They're masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, thanks to some questionable late game play-calling and a dreadful defense that's been unable to get stops in the two-minute drill. They've been this close to owning the two biggest wins of any team this season: they lost on walk-off field goals to the two best teams in the NFL — the Patriots and Panthers.

But the reality is that the Giants are 6-8 and staring at their fourth straight sub-.500 campaign if they don't win out. That would be the team's longest such streak since the dark days of the mid-to-late 1970s. Getting there would require the Giants to beat a team with a winning record (Vikings) for the first time this season, and also beat an Eagles team that has won four of their five matchups at MetLife Stadium (where they play in Week 17).

Digits

For much of the season, the Vikings' winning formula has been simple: Give the ball to Adrian Peterson and let him run. Rinse, repeat. Minnesota is third in percentage of called rushing plays, and is 9-0 when it runs the ball at least 25 times. While that strategy is often good enough to beat mediocre teams, it's not a solid game plan against the league's best. The Vikings are 1-4 against teams with a current winning record and 8-1 against everyone else.

The key to the Vikings' success down the stretch — and whether they can make some noise in the playoffs — is a more diversified offense that is rounding into form. While Peterson is still the team's most important offensive weapon, Bridgewater also needs to be able to make plays with his arm in order to keep opposing defenses honest.

Over the last two weeks, Teddy Bridgewater has shown that he can be more than just a passenger in the Vikings offense. Against Arizona and Chicago, Bridgewater completed 75 percent of his passes for 566 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions. If he can continue this career-best stretch of football, the Vikings will be a tough out in January.

The story of the Giants season has been their inability to finish games. No club has suffered more heart-breaking defeats than the G-men, and they've done it in historic fashion. The Giants are the first team since 1970 with five losses where the game-winning score came in the last 10 seconds or in overtime. Their six losses by four points or fewer are the most in the NFL this season.

While the blame has to spread among the team's three units, their late-game defensive issues are particularly glaring. In the fourth quarter when the score is within eight points, the Giants have given up the most touchdowns and the second-most first downs in the league, and rank 29th in yards per play allowed.

Who to watch

After Rashad Jennings' best performance of the season last week, it appears that the Giants have ditched their ineffective running back by committee approach. He rushed for 107 yards on 16 carries, and became the first Giant to eclipse the century mark on the ground this season. Odell Beckham Jr.'s suspension leaves the Giants' passing attack short-handed, making it more likely that they'll lean heavily on Jennings to move the ball.

For Minnesota, the emergence of rookie Stefon Diggs has been crucial to the success of the Vikings passing game. Even though he's missed three games, Diggs leads the team in targets and receiving yards. He's also averaging a whopping 14.7 yards per reception and good things happen when he reaches the end zone: the Vikings are 3-0 in games when Diggs scores a touchdown.

How to watch

When: 8:30 p.m. ET

Where: TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis

TV: NBC

Announcers: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya

Online: NBC Sports

Odds

The Vikings are 7-point favorites and the over/under is 46, according to OddsShark.com.

Preliminary Judgment

It's a clean sweep: All of the experts at ESPN, CBS Sports and SB Nation are picking the Vikings to win the game.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Giants @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Now that NY is out of post season contention, I wonder if they 'lay down?' Honestly, they don't have anything to play for. OBJ is out - so there is no reason to pad his stats. The only reason left to play is for financial incentive and/or pride.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

The Giants are also playing without their fullback who Coughlin says is the key to Jennings recent success. There is talk of using a TE at FB because they don't have another guy.
I'm expecting the Vikes to pound these guys pretty soundly and I'l be mostly disappoint if they don't. The only place I have to watch the game is an Applebees restaurant. No way will I be happy in that place if they lay an egg tonight.
-
If the Vikes handle their biz and win the division, the only way they won't host Seattle is if GB loses it's final two and Seattle wins out...entirely possible.
On the other hand, if AZ loses both games (GB, SEA) and the Vikes lose at Lambeau, the Vikeswill travel to AZ while GB would grab the #2 slot.....also entirely possible.
A lot of stuff at stake in these final 2 weeks. Probably the best thing about the NFL, imo.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Hey Breeze, I hope you're right and the Vikes soundly pound the G men.

I'm in the Yucatan. I have too many bad memories of the Vikes defecating the bed while I'm in Mexico: the Giants blow out in the playoffs in 2000/2001, when AZ knocked us out on the last play of the game... So I'm nervous! Watching with the in-laws is scary too... I have to hide the fact that I'm a foul-mouthed madman when the Vikes are on.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:Hey Breeze, I hope you're right and the Vikes soundly pound the G men.

I'm in the Yucatan. I have too many bad memories of the Vikes defecating the bed while I'm in Mexico: the Giants blow out in the playoffs in 2000/2001, when AZ knocked us out on the last play of the game... So I'm nervous! Watching with the in-laws is scary too... I have to hide the fact that I'm a foul-mouthed madman when the Vikes are on.
Hey! I was all set to go down there next month for the first time and play around in the cenotes. Not sure about it now. I assure you though, if you have a shot of tequila before kickoff it will ward off any bad juju you might be carrying. It's medicinal ;)
So, medicate yourself for our sake.
Plus, if you have few your in-laws won't be able to hear you....or there is at least a good chance they won't be able to understand you~
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Now that NY is out of post season contention, I wonder if they 'lay down?' Honestly, they don't have anything to play for. OBJ is out - so there is no reason to pad his stats. The only reason left to play is for financial incentive and/or pride.
They also have nothing to lose. I can see them risking more 4th down attempts, trick plays, etc...
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Now that NY is out of post season contention, I wonder if they 'lay down?' Honestly, they don't have anything to play for. OBJ is out - so there is no reason to pad his stats. The only reason left to play is for financial incentive and/or pride.
Financial/career incentive is a powerful motivater.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote: Hey! I was all set to go down there next month for the first time and play around in the cenotes. Not sure about it now. I assure you though, if you have a shot of tequila before kickoff it will ward off any bad juju you might be carrying. It's medicinal ;)
So, medicate yourself for our sake.
Plus, if you have few your in-laws won't be able to hear you....or there is at least a good chance they won't be able to understand you~

If it were that simple, I'd drink the whole bottle! I'll go ahead and take one for the team just in case... Might seek out the local Mayan chamán to get a cleansing.

The cenotes are great, by the way, worth a visit.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Win tonight, and next week's game with Green Bay is for the division.

Look for an extremely motivated Vikings squad to take the field tonight.

SKOL! :smilevike:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Our last three games against the NY Giants:
2013 Week 7: Giants won 23-7
2010 Week 14: Giants won 21-3
2009 Week 17: Vikes won 44-7 <<< corrected to reflect that the Vikes won that one. Let's win one like this tonight!

After these ####-whoopings the Vikes have suffered at the hands of the Giants (not to mention a certain NFC Championship game), it's time for some serious revenge. Nothing short of a blowout will satisfy me. :govikes:
Last edited by soflavike on Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Win tonight, and next week's game with Green Bay is for the division.

Look for an extremely motivated Vikings squad to take the field tonight.

SKOL! :smilevike:
If the Packers don't come back, and they won't, then even if the Vikings lose tonight, next weeks game will be for the division.
Win tonight and next weeks game will still be for the division.

The only way next weeks game wouldn't be for the division would be if the Packers won today and the Vikings lost, giving the division to GB.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

soflavike wrote:Our last three games against the NY Giants:
2013 Week 7: Giants won 23-7
2010 Week 14: Giants won 21-3
2009 Week 17: Giants won 44-7

After these ####-whoopings the Vikes have suffered at the hands of the Giants (not to mention a certain NFC Championship game), it's time for some serious revenge. Nothing short of a blowout will satisfy me. :govikes:

The game in 2009 was a Viking win.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
The game in 2009 was a Viking win.
You are correct sir. My mistake.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Why am I hearing that the Packers losing and the Falcons winning is bad for us?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Tonight's #Vikings inactives: Taylor Heinicke, Charles Johnson, Josh Robinson, Brandon Watts, Nick Easton, Jeremiah Sirles and Zach Moore.
Charles Johnson healthy scratch. The mystery continues.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly