Vikings WRs and 2016 draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings WRs and 2016 draft

Post by Raptorman »

If the cut Johnson, I can guarantee that he will be back with the Packers.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Raptorman wrote:If the cut Johnson, I can guarantee that he will be back with the Packers.
And in the Pro Bowl :wallbang: I hope to heck they keep him and dump CP and Wallace.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

More grist for the mill.

Stats show sharp decline for Vikings WR Diggs over last four games
Rookie wide receiver Stefon Diggs got off to an explosive start with the Minnesota Vikings, but he has simmered down considerably since then. Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press took a look at Diggs' production over his first four NFL games, then compared them to his statistics in the next four games.

Chris Tomasson @christomasson
In his first 4 NFL games, #Vikings WR Stefon Diggs had 25 catches for 419 yards. In his next 4 NFL games, Diggs had 15 catches for 185 yards

Diggs no longer has the element of surprise working in his favor. Now that the fifth-round draft pick has made a little noise, teams know who he is and are able to game plan against him. He should draw a little more attention than your average rookie, considering the record-setting start to his career.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I would be very very angry if we take another WR in the first couple of rounds. You can always find guys to contribute Diggs is a diamond in the rough and wont happen much but maybe look in free agency for a WR or later in the draft.

Personally I would LOVE if our draft went something like this

Round 1, LB or Safety
Round 2, OL (Still not that weak just injury prone losing Sully and Loadholt.)
Round 3, LB or Safety whatever we didnt touch.
Round 4, Honestly after round 3 we could go BPA maybe even BPA the whole draft... very few needs on this team.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I think next year we could take a beefy MLB that stuffs the run and move Kendricks opposite of Barr and have those two in nickel like they already do.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Rather than spending a high pick on the 2016 draft I would love to see either Malcom Floyd, Alshon Jeffery, Michael Crabtree who are all free agents next year, signed to shore up the receiving corp.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I just don't see the need to go high on another WR......

1st----OL
2nd---OL or SS
3rd----SS or LB
4th----any of the above

Fix the OL and I feel our WR crew is fine. Wallace prolly will not be back but with Diggs, Johnson, Wright, AT, and maybe CP I think we are just fine. 8)

No need for a panic move during the 1st two or 3 rounds.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple bruise wrote:Rather than spending a high pick on the 2016 draft I would love to see either Malcom Floyd, Alshon Jeffery, Michael Crabtree who are all free agents next year, signed to shore up the receiving corp.
Malcom Floyd is 34 and injured. He also said this year will likely be his last. I wouldn't pay Crabtree what he's going to ask for. It would surprise me greatly if Jeffery didn't get re-signed by Chicago but he'd be the only one on this list I'd want.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

there is no great way to assess our passing game until we have a real OL. The OL MUST be addressed first. Khalil has had yrs to prove me wrong and failed miserably. Sulley is broken in an area that never heals quite right, who knows if Loadholt will eever be any better. The new kid is the only one that requires more patience, perhaps just one more year to see. Hopefully, the front office is in the mind -frame of knowing that they need 3 quality OL players before next season.......AP wont last forever so they are on the clock.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

chicagopurple wrote:there is no great way to assess our passing game until we have a real OL. The OL MUST be addressed first. Khalil has had yrs to prove me wrong and failed miserably. Sulley is broken in an area that never heals quite right, who knows if Loadholt will eever be any better. The new kid is the only one that requires more patience, perhaps just one more year to see. Hopefully, the front office is in the mind -frame of knowing that they need 3 quality OL players before next season.......AP wont last forever so they are on the clock.

Very well said...... :appl:

Plus would like to see if Kerin and Sirles develop.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

chicagopurple wrote:there is no great way to assess our passing game until we have a real OL. The OL MUST be addressed first. Khalil has had yrs to prove me wrong and failed miserably. Sulley is broken in an area that never heals quite right, who knows if Loadholt will eever be any better. The new kid is the only one that requires more patience, perhaps just one more year to see. Hopefully, the front office is in the mind -frame of knowing that they need 3 quality OL players before next season.......AP wont last forever so they are on the clock.

Agree but I like DPs idea of a big, physical WR. I think having one would help opportunities in the redzone. But you're right, OL needs to be addressed whether the draft or FA. Upgrading the FB would be nice too.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Interesting points. Its also interesting that, in those last 4 games (where Diggs' numbers have dropped significantly) , AD has had 2 of his best games of the year so far, and also a 125 yard rushing performance (his 5th best of the year).

In those 4 games he's averaged 133 yards per game and 5.5 per carry.
In the 7 previous games he averaged 90 yards per game and 4.5 per carry

I wonder if having opposing teams begin to game plan a bit for Diggs has helped AD.

He did have a poor performance against the Packers, but the refs had a huge part in that game, so hard to read too much into it.

I haven't checked on the avg Defense of the last 4 games (I know the Falcons have a good run D), but it just struck me that AD's recent surge seems to correlate with Diggs dropping off a bit

AD 2016
rush yards avg
10 31 3.1
29 134 4.6
20 126 6.3
16 81 5.1
26 60 2.3
19 98 5.2
20 103 5.2
29 125 4.3
26 203 7.8
13 45 3.5
29 158 5.4
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Vikings 1st round pick 2016 and it is a USC player...
Minnesota Vikings: Su'a Cravens, S, USC

Harrison Smith might be the best safety in the NFL. However, the Vikings have nothing else at the position, and the last time I checked, most teams start two players there. Minnesota could be searching for help next to Smith come April. It's also worth noting that Smith will be a free agent in March 2017, so some insurance isn't a bad idea.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_1.p ... luVLQQp.99

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_1.php

They have us picking 27th.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I am not understanding your take on Kahlil :confused: He played at a Pro Bowl level his rookie year, last year was injured and his played suffered to say the least and this year he is one of the top LTs in the game. So you have watched him for years :confused: This is only his 3rd season and 2 out of three years he has played he has done extremely well.

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: Malcom Floyd is 34 and injured. He also said this year will likely be his last. I wouldn't pay Crabtree what he's going to ask for. It would surprise me greatly if Jeffery didn't get re-signed by Chicago but he'd be the only one on this list I'd want.
To each their own but I would love either Jeffery or Crabtree on this team. I mentioned Floyd because he has been a proven receiver over the years. Maybe he will retire but I watched him 4 weeks ago put up nearly 100yds. and 2 tds. and he looked dam good. I did not say to trade for him. He is, like Jeffrey and Crabtree, all free agents. My first choice would no doubt be Jeffrey then Crabtree and just maybe bring in a veteran like Floyd to stem the tide while our younger receivers are developing.