This is unrealistic, but somehow wouldn't surprise me.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

This is unrealistic, but somehow wouldn't surprise me.

Post by cstelter »

7 weeks of NFC games remaining. This is just one of the many unlikely scenarios, but bear with me:

Code: Select all

MIN    W    W    W    W    W    W    W    14-2
GB     L    L    L    L    W    L    L    8-8
ATL    W    L    L    L    W    L    L    8-8
SEA    L    L    L    L    L    W    W    6-10
AZ     L    L    L    L    L    W    L    8-8
NYG         L    L    L    W    L    W    7-9
DET    W    W    W    W    W    L    W    8-8
PHI    L    L    L    L    W    L    L    5-11
STL    L    L    W    L    L    L    L    5-11
NO          L    L    W    L    L    W    6-9
SFO    W    W    W    L    L    W    W    8-8
CHI    L    W    L    W    L    w    L    6-10
DAL    L    L    W    W    L    L    L    4-12
WAS    W    W    L    L    L    W    W    7-9
TB     W    L    W    L    W    L    W    8-8
CAR    L    W    W    W    L    W    L    13-3
The upshot here is that with the above scenario, or many other similar scenarios, the Vikings opponents turn out to be:
8-8,8-8,x-x,10-6,x-x,8-8,6-10,5-11,x-x,8-8,8-8,6-10,8-8,6-10,7-9,8-8

I didn't figure in the AFC West potentials, but so long as you rig it so that only Denver ends up with a winning record, you end up with scenarios where the vikings could end up 14-2 with a 12 game winning streak and everyone being able to say

"Well, they didn't beat a single team with a winning record".

I guess we could respond that 6 of those teams *would* have had wining records if we hadn't beaten them, but still. I'm getting tired of this. Even beating the pack this week will likely not dismiss naysayers due to GB going through a 'rough patch'.

Best plan? Just win 'em all!
Craig S
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: This is unrealistic, but somehow wouldn't surprise me.

Post by DK Sweets »

Interesting. I like your plan, though!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I like that the Vikings would end up as the number one seed.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

unrealistic might not be the word. we have a qb who can barely throw for 175 yards each week and we have the toughest remaining schedule. 14-2? that is more like a dream you must have had.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

mosscarter wrote:unrealistic might not be the word. we have a qb who can barely throw for 175 yards each week and we have the toughest remaining schedule. 14-2? that is more like a dream you must have had.
A guy named Russell Wilson won a ring while averaging 209 yards through the air a week.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

We complain so much about Teddy not putting up huge passing numbers but he averages 1 yard less per attempt than Aaron rodgers, Tom Brady and Andy Dalton, all of these guys have about 150 extra attempts on them than Ted, Derek Carr for example has .5 yards per attempt more than Ted, All of these QB's dont hand the ball off, dont have the defense that we have and pass the ball more.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Allow me to clarify. The 14-2 finish wasn't at all required for the point I was trying to make. My point is that even if we won the rest of the games, events could transpire such that we hadn't beaten a single team with a winning record. That's unrealistic. One could probably contrive a scenario where we are only 12-4 or 11-5 and still had not beaten a team with a winning record, but that scenario lends more credence to the 'but you haven't beaten anyone' claim. The most ludicrous scenario that still allows that clam is a 14-2.

I wasn't talking about or offense or QB situation. I wasn't predicting 14-2 so much as we may end up doing well and still have naysayers due to things we have no control over (such as how our strength of schedule will have turned out).

Sorry if my subject was misleading-- I was thinking 'this scenario is unrealistic' but the naysayer's 'you haven't beaten anyone' wouldn't surprise me regardless of where we end..

My conclusion is to cheer them on to win all the game *despite* how unrealistic the top line may be. It's the best plan.
Craig S
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

this would suit me. Being 14-2 and still the underdogs sounds like heaven!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

cstelter wrote:Sorry if my subject was misleading-- I was thinking 'this scenario is unrealistic' but the naysayer's 'you haven't beaten anyone' wouldn't surprise me regardless of where we end...
I very much agree with that part. Given what was expected from the Vikings earlier this year, the team has done a heck of a job. Teams in the NFC have been taking turns beating each other all season long. For the Vikings to be 7-2 counts for something, regardless the naysayers griping about the team's supposed lack of quality opposition.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think the Thursday Night Game in AZ is going to be a tough one. It is too bad really, that game could be pivotal for deciding #2 vs #3 cede unless Carolina starts stinking it up. Home team has a huge advantage on Thursday Night Football.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi