Week 10 Predictions: Vikings at Raiders

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Week 10 Predictions: Vikings at Raiders

Post by DK Sweets »

Can you believe we're halfway done with the regular season?

Late afternoon game this week. That should help out our Hawaii fans and be an adventure for our UK brethren.

I don't know how you can get and accurate gage of this game wihout knowing if Teddy or Barr can play, but it looks like Teddy should at least be good to go.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Week 10 Predictions: Vikings at Raiders

Post by Mothman »

This will be another tough game to predict. The Raiders offense should provide a strong test for the Vikes defense but Oakland's defense looks pretty vulnerable. Hopefully, the Vikes offense can put up more points than usual.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:This will be another tough game to predict. The Raiders offense should provide a strong test for the Vikes defense but Oakland's defense looks pretty vulnerable. Hopefully, the Vikes offense can put up more points than usual.
It'd be great to see Peterson go for 250 and 3 scores :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

This will be the toughest passing game we've seen this year. They have a very good pass blocking offensive line and great pass catchers - not to mention, Carr is playing lights out right now. Need Barr, need Kendricks.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Yeah, having Barr healthy is a must, and getting Kendricks back would be nice too.

Xavier Rhodes hasn't played all that great this year, and this will be a big test for him.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the game or not. I live in Fairfield, about an hour away from Oakland. I missed the San Fran game because I couldn't get Tuesday off of work. Thank god I didn't go to that one though. But I'm not finding any decent to good seats at a reasonable price.

Living in the Bay Area, I see a lot of the Raiders. They are a team that can put up a lot of points, but they also give up a lot of them. Carr is a decent QB. If we are going to win this game, the defense has to hold their offense in check. AD and Teddy need to chew up clock and have long drawn out drives. This is a very winable game. And I believe the Vikings will walk away with a win.

Vikings: 23
Raiders: 17
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

I'm predicting a competitive game (unlike the last game I recall us traveling to Oakland, in 2003 when a 6-3 Vikings lost to the then 2-7 Raiders). That year we lost 4 games to teams that wound up 4-12-- the Chargers, Oakland, NYG and Noo! Nooooooo! The Arizona Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs! I'm so glad the last few eras are gone.

I'm really enjoying the Zimmer era and I hope it continues an upward trajectory. Time will tell.

I'm predicting that they will come ready to play, not like game 1. Not like 2003. I hope I'm right on that prediction.

Sure hope they can go 7-2. I know they *can*, but will they?
Craig S
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

cstelter wrote:I'm predicting a competitive game (unlike the last game I recall us traveling to Oakland, in 2003 when a 6-3 Vikings lost to the then 2-7 Raiders). That year we lost 4 games to teams that wound up 4-12-- the Chargers, Oakland, NYG and Noo! Nooooooo! The Arizona Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs! I'm so glad the last few eras are gone.
That was the year I wrote off Daunte Culpepper as a QB who was going to have good stats but not lead us to any deep playoff runs. Those were the four worst teams in the league, and we couldn't beat any of them.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

John_Viveiros wrote: That was the year I wrote off Daunte Culpepper as a QB who was going to have good stats but not lead us to any deep playoff runs. Those were the four worst teams in the league, and we couldn't beat any of them.
Me too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

I remember that game, I think Culpepper threw a pick 6 on his first throw.

I really really really hope we at least get shariff back this week. With the way Linval has been beastin I think Floyd will be able to get some much needed pressure up the middle on Carr.
RIP Sean Taylor
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Linval was playing against a backup last week. Don't get me wrong, the guy was a beast last Sunday, but you have to consider the circumstances. I doubt the Raiders will be foolish enough to allow him to beat up on them the way the Rams allowed it.

I am going to predict a Vikings victory. The Raiders passing attack has mostly been against suspect defenses. When they played Denver they were significantly slowed down, they also lost at Chicago and against the Steelers. Carr wasn't QB when they got beat by the Bengals. When they've played a better defense they haven't done nearly as well. In their three losses they scored 13, 20, and 10 points respectively. My guess is they are likely a 8-8 to 9-7 team. OK Offense with rising young QB, but defense needs to improve. Their record against strong competition/ teams with sound defense is poor.

The matchup that concerns me is Crabtree/Cooper vs. our #2 CB. Playing on the road is also an issue. Finally, Charles Woodson is a old, but he is also extremely savvy. He could make Teddy pay with an INT on a bad throw, he is leading the league with pick offs.

That being said, AP could take over this game and despite Woodson, Teddy should have some opportunities against a weak pass defense. There is potential for AP to blow up here, he is hitting his mid-season stride. I think if MN can score 20 points they'll win this one.

24-17 Vikings.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:Linval was playing against a backup last week. Don't get me wrong, the guy was a beast last Sunday, but you have to consider the circumstances. I doubt the Raiders will be foolish enough to allow him to beat up on them the way the Rams allowed it.
The Raiders' center (Rodney Hudson) has been doing pretty well from what I've seen, primarily better in pass protection than run blocking. On either side of him is LG Gabe Jackson, who PFF ranks as I believe a top-5 guard but things fall off dramatically on the other side with J'Marcus Webb, who has been one of the poorest guards in the league. If we can get Floyd back, that tandem may not be as dominant as Floyd-Johnson vs. the Rams but should be stout, particularly if Latavius Murray isn't cleared to play. Del Rio said he expects Murray to "bounce back fine," but he took a big hit and the last time he suffered a concussion he missed a game. Marcel Reece and Taiwan Jones would likely split time if Murray misses, in which case I wonder if the Raiders go pass-heavy.
The matchup that concerns me is Crabtree/Cooper vs. our #2 CB. Playing on the road is also an issue.
Hopefully that's Newman if he can pass his own concussion protocols. For the most part Newman has been relatively solid. If he misses, I would hope Munnerlyn would be the choice as he's had a great season thus far (granted, in the slot). I'm not sure I'd trust Waynes to hold up for an entire game and not be a consistent liability. Of course, he'd likely man the outside on three-wide sets, pushing Munnerlyn to the slot. Ugh. We need Newman back up.
Finally, Charles Woodson is a old, but he is also extremely savvy. He could make Teddy pay with an INT on a bad throw, he is leading the league with pick offs.
I was kind of hoping Woodson's shoulder injury would keep him out of this one but that doesn't look to be the case. I feel you on this one.
That being said, AP could take over this game and despite Woodson, Teddy should have some opportunities against a weak pass defense. There is potential for AP to blow up here, he is hitting his mid-season stride. I think if MN can score 20 points they'll win this one.

24-17 Vikings.
Once again it'll likely come down to the Vikings rush and their defense (really, that's who they are this season). If the defense can make the Raiders one-dimensional and get to Carr consistently early, I like our chances. Carr has unfortunately shown that if he gets time, he can make plays. Time to show him what a Mike Zimmer defense feels like. Nice analysis!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

who amongst our LBs is actually ready to play? I feel like the whole group is injured.......
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

chicagopurple wrote:who amongst our LBs is actually ready to play? I feel like the whole group is injured.......
Greenway and Watts.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Ouch...

That hurts.

The good news is the Raider Rushing attack is not very strong.

Just looking at the Raiders's record, their offense has been slowed down considerably when playing against tougher defensive opponents. At this point in the season it is safe to say the Vikings are fielding one of the top 5 and arguably top 3 defenses in league. So outside of the injury bug at #2 CB, I like our chances defensively to shut this team down. I think Waynes can play, the issue that will hurt us with him is he is still adjusting to the NFL game and will likely be good for 2-4 nasty PI / Holding penalties due to his being a rookie. That isn't great, but that is better than a guy who will get burned. Still, would rather see Newman at this stage. Woe unto the league next season when Waynes is ready to start. :rock:

This is another game we "should" win, but could lose. It's on the road and if our defense doesn't show up I'm not sold our offense can dig us out of the hole. That being said, I think our defense will show up at this point. I can see a scenario where we blow them out also. Shut down that passing attack and then AP punishes a gassed lack luster defense. It's possible.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi