Week 2 Predictions: Vikings vs Lions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Week 2 Predictions: Vikings vs Lions

Post by DK Sweets »

At this point I think we've discussed every possible viewpoint looking backwards, so I'd say it's about time to get over last week's loss and start talking about the week ahead.

I expect both teams to show a lot better than they did last week. The Lions will be a lot more consistent on offense and the defense won't be the absolute sieve that it was in the second half.

The Vikings are going to get back to what they do best and reflect more closely the team we saw in the preseason.

I expect the Lions ground game to get killer yardage, but the defense will hold the passing game in check and stop the Lions when it counts.

Vikings hold off the Lions, but just barely, in a game where both teams end up scoring around 20 points.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Week 2 Predictions: Vikings vs Lions

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:At this point I think we've discussed every possible viewpoint looking backwards...
That sounds like a challenge to me! :)
... so I'd say it's about time to get over last week's loss and start talking about the week ahead.
DK has spoken.
I expect both teams to show a lot better than they did last week. The Lions will be a lot more consistent on offense and the defense won't be the absolute sieve that it was in the second half.

The Vikings are going to get back to what they do best and reflect more closely the team we saw in the preseason.

I expect the Lions ground game to get killer yardage, but the defense will hold the passing game in check and stop the Lions when it counts.

Vikings hold off the Lions, but just barely, in a game where both teams end up scoring around 20 points.
That sounds like a pretty reasonable prediction to me.

I usually prefer to wait for more injury reports and news developments to roll in before making a prediction but what the heck, I'll make one now...

I think we'll see a better performance from both teams this week too but unfortunately, I don't think that bodes well for the Vikes, who will fall to 0-2 in a close game at home, 24-17.

I just don't think the Vikes offense will get on track fast enough to score more than that. :( I hope I'm wrong.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think we'll win, but we won't run away with it. Detroit lost Suh and Fairely and replaced them with an aging Hlote Ngata. (Sp?) That should help our struggling OL to some extent.

I think the D will step up in this game, probably playing with a chip on it's shoulder.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Mothman wrote: DK has spoken.
That sounds like a pretty reasonable prediction to me.

I usually prefer to wait for more injury reports and news developments to roll in before making a prediction but what the heck, I'll make one now...

I think we'll see a better performance from both teams this week too but unfortunately, I don't think that bodes well for the Vikes, who will fall to 0-2 in a close game at home, 24-17.

I just don't think the Vikes offense will get on track fast enough to score more than that. :( I hope I'm wrong.
Hey, after last week, I can't argue. I can easily see the Vikings dropping this one. I'm attempting to be a voice of optimism this week, though, and I'm hoping two major factors work in our favor:

1) Homefield advantage/noon game. I'm hoping the environment is more suitable to a young team looking to make a name for themselves. In other words, I hope the game isn't bigger than the players this week, which I think was a big problem last week (and looking forward will still be a problem, but that is a problem to address later).

2) Both teams will be a bit desperate, but the Vikings REALLY crapped the bed. I think our team has more to prove this week, an that's always a nice motivator.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I don't think it is possible for the Vikings to play that bad twice in a row.

Bridgewater should be better, and I think Zimmer and Turner will make sure AD doubles his touches. Vikings have to get untracked on offense eventually, and what better time than at the home opener?

The Lions will be a solid test, but the Vikes simply can't keep losing to divisional opponents like they did last year. Vikes take a close one 21-14. Lions get one last chance to drive to tie it, but Stafford's arm gets hit while throwing and Griffen gobbles up the fumble to seal the deal.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

16-27 Det
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We are lacking talent, or have serious lack of execution on almost the entire team. I'm hoping its the later. That being said, Vikes 17-Lions 27. Lions beat us easily. But Teddy shows up to play.

Man, would I love to hear Zimmer's and Ricks explanation of why Waynes was picked over Peters. And please no one say character issues. Please. A good GM should be able to find a way to fix them AND get the better player.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

BTW, what does the POOP KAKA mean 84? I mean I know what they mean, but why are the words in your sig?
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We are lacking talent, or have serious lack of execution on almost the entire team. I'm hoping its the later. That being said, Vikes 17-Lions 27. Lions beat us easily. But Teddy shows up to play.

Man, would I love to hear Zimmer's and Ricks explanation of why Waynes was picked over Peters. And please no one say character issues. Please. A good GM should be able to find a way to fix them AND get the better player.
Totally agree. peters is looking like a perennial,all pro at times...

Poop and kaka means I was drunk on photoshop and disgusted with our putrid performance..
And I'll change it when we start playin up to our damn potential, gosh danggit
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We are lacking talent, or have serious lack of execution on almost the entire team. I'm hoping its the later. That being said, Vikes 17-Lions 27. Lions beat us easily. But Teddy shows up to play.

Well, I wanted Peters over Waynes... I was salty when we took Waynes over Peters and Danny Shelton.

I don't agree with your stance that a GM should be able to fix a guy's character issues. These issues are intrinsic and sometimes, innate characteristics. No one person can change how someone behaves. It is a process that involves many entities AND change needs to occur within the individual who expresses the character issues.

However, character issues are not always black and white. Just because a guy has them in college doesn't necessarily mean he will continue to have them in the NFL. Look at Tyran Mathieu. Conversely, however, character issues in college can show that a guy is predisposed to making poor choices in the NFL. It is really a slippery slope that at the end of the day, comes down to risk over reward. I cannot really blame Spielman for red flagging Peters (if he did so) for 'character issues' - especially considering what happened last year (and the NFL's new emphasis on behavior). Nevertheless, there was no debating that Peters was a superior prospect to Trae Waynes talent wise.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Well, I wanted Peters over Waynes... I was salty when we took Waynes over Peters and Danny Shelton.

I don't agree with your stance that a GM should be able to fix a guy's character issues. These issues are intrinsic and sometimes, innate characteristics. No one person can change how someone behaves. It is a process that involves many entities AND change needs to occur within the individual who expresses the character issues.
Agreed. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not (see Blackmon, Justin). As fans, we really don't know the extent of the red flags so we speculate. But on pure football talent, Peters seems like the real deal. That's not to say Waynes won't be able to catch him but right now Peters certainly is in the lead and it's not close.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I believe that Zimmer alone will not allow this team to put out a performance like it did last Monday. I do not know if that equals a win, but this defense with less talent than it has now held them to 17 points last season and our offense was horrible in that game. I think Detroit on defense got worse last year, so we should have an opportunity to win this game.

The Vikings have to show up first though...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Vegas still has the Vikes favored in this game by 2.5. Which seems weird. After watching the entirety of both the Lions and the Vikes games, my head would bet on the Lions.

My heart always bets on the Vikes, though.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This is not an easy one to predict.

I get the feeling that Zimmer will have lit their backsides up pretty good after Monday's showing. Playing at home at noon in a non-primetime game should also help. On the other hand, we aren't always strong in division rivalry games, so there's that.

I suspect we still have some serious problems on D and along our OL. These are not minor issues. The media (and fans) seemed to have bought into the notion that the Vikes were a dark horse contender because of Teddy's strong finish to last season and the addition of an angry AD and some new pieces on D. They overlooked our poor line play on both sides of the ball. Another problem: our LBs aren't thumpers. Barr and Kendricks can pressure the QB and are good in pass coverage... but we needed a guy like CJ Mosley IMO. Someone to crush RBs.

I think it'll be close. If they lose, it'll be ugly around here. I'll go with the Vikes 20-19, last second safety wins the game. Walsh misses 4 FGS.
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

This is one of those games that will be close. The story of these game will be walsh and his inability to help us win a close game. Lions win 28-26, but only because walsh misses multiple kicks, causing us to go for two in certain situations and failing. After the game Zimmer stands by Walsh (again) and we are now 0-2 and fans liken Zimmer's weird confidence in Walsh to Leslie Frasier's confidence in Ponder. We at this point know, we are f*cked royally.
RIP Sean Taylor