Roster Cuts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Roster Cuts

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Never understood why he went there anyways. They are ridiculously deep at WR. Would have had a much better chance here
I'm guessing Andrew Luck and the fact that they're a playoff team probably had something to do with it.
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

Mothman wrote:It's not official but...
Bums me out. :(
It's time to take back what was rightfully ours in '98....and '09!!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Carter's son will be claimed. Panthers?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Carter's son will be claimed. Panthers?
Maybe. The Bears might be interested in some WR help too.
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

So...who are the last three? I know this is likely to change as we pick up/drop some more over the next few days, but this is it for right now:

QB 3, RB 3, FB 1, WR 6, TE 4, OL 10, DE 6, DT 5, LB 6, CB 5, S 4, ST 3
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Off topic but Reggie Wayne released.
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

halfgiz wrote:Off topic but Reggie Wayne released.
Heard that he may have asked for his release. Interesting. His career may be over?
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

Spielman has a flair for the dramatic - I keep waiting to hear about a big, last-second trade. Probably not likely, but you never know with Rick.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
I'm guessing Andrew Luck and the fact that they're a playoff team probably had something to do with it.
He's a fringe NFL player. He should have went where he had the best chance to make the team not where the best QB was. As a player like Carter, you have to do everything in your power to find a way to make it into the NFL. Yet, he chooses possibly the deepest WR team in the NFL to go to?? Now he's back on the street. Just doesnt add up to me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:He's a fringe NFL player. He should have went where he had the best chance to make the team not where the best QB was. As a player like Carter, you have to do everything in your power to find a way to make it into the NFL. Yet, he chooses possibly the deepest WR team in the NFL to go to?? Now he's back on the street. Just doesnt add up to me
But it's his life, not yours or mine, so it only has to add up for him. I don't think it's our place to say what choice he should have made. Signing with the Colts offered real benefits for him. He got the experience of working with a successful organization, that deep WR corps you're talking about, presumably he got at least some time to play with Luck in practice, etc. I think all of that's likely to help him. From what I understand, he put some good work on tape this preseason. I doubt this was his last opportunity to make an NFL roster. Heck, it's possible he'll be on another one tomorrow and he could still end up on the Colts practice squad if they liked enough of what they saw.
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

Mothman wrote: But it's his life, not yours or mine, so it only has to add up for him. I don't think it's our place to say what choice he should have made. Signing with the Colts offered real benefits for him. He got the experience of working with a successful organization, that deep WR corps you're talking about, presumably he got at least some time to play with Luck in practice, etc. I think all of that's likely to help him. From what I understand, he put some good work on tape this preseason. I doubt this was his last opportunity to make an NFL roster. Heck, it's possible he'll be on another one tomorrow and he could still end up on the Colts practice squad if they liked enough of what they saw.
Agreed. There's something to be said about going for the "home run", so to speak. Teddy Roosevelt once talked about someone who "If he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls...who know neither victory nor defeat."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

denburch wrote:Agreed. There's something to be said about going for the "home run", so to speak. Teddy Roosevelt once talked about someone who "If he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls...who know neither victory nor defeat."
I like that quote! Roosevelt was an incredible person.

This is WAY off topic for a football forum but if anybody's looking for a good non-fiction read, The River of Doubt by Candice Millard is terrific. It chronicles Roosevelt's 2 year journey into the Amazon, a journey he undertook after serving as president. Can you imagine a former president in our lifetimes doing something like that?
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

Mothman wrote: I like that quote! Roosevelt was an incredible person.

This is WAY off topic for a football forum but if anybody's looking for a good non-fiction read, The River of Doubt by Candice Millard is terrific. It chronicles Roosevelt's 2 year journey into the Amazon, a journey he undertook after serving as president. Can you imagine a former president in our lifetimes doing something like that?
Wow! Thanks for the reading tip. Will see if my library has it. :D
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

denburch wrote: Wow! Thanks for the reading tip. Will see if my library has it. :D
It's worth your time. :) Now back to football!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I like that quote! Roosevelt was an incredible person.

That's immediately on my reading list! Thanks.