T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive lin

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive lin

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/t-j-clemming ... 322120001/
Clemmings cited Loadholt as one of the veteran linemen who took him under his wing. Loadholt invited the 23-year-old to plop down in the chair next to him in meetings and advised him on what to expect as he transitioned to pro football.

That’s why Clemmings is saddened that his first chance to start in the NFL comes at the expense of his injured teammate.

“I just told him that I’m praying for him and to keep his head up,” he said. “He said that whatever I need, he’s always going to be there for me. Just give him a call.”

Clemmings, who got the first-team reps Monday, feels he is off to “a solid start” in his first few months with the Vikings. He admits that he isn’t ready to be a starter quite yet. But he believes he has enough time between now and Week 1 to do something about that.

“I’d say I feel like I’m getting ready,” he said. “I’m getting there.”
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: T.J. Clemmings steps into big shoes on Vikings offensive

Post by jackal »

I'm not saying I am not nervous about this; however, Clemmings held up very well the last two weeks.
In fact i didn't notice any drop off from when Loadholt was in there. It will be interesting to see
how the next few games go.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

Wasn't he going to be playing right guard after Fusco has moved to the left?

Who is going to fill that spot now? David Yankey? Tyrus Thompson? Austin Shepherd?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

sonicology wrote:Wasn't he going to be playing right guard after Fusco has moved to the left?
They experimented with idea briefly this summer but then moved him back outside. Apparently, he wasn't much of a fit at guard.
Who is going to fill that spot now? David Yankey? Tyrus Thompson? Austin Shepherd?
Mike Harris is currently atop the depth chart at right guard and it's looking like he'll be the starter going into the season. Berger is probably the primary backup at that position.
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

Mothman wrote:Mike Harris is currently atop the depth chart at right guard and it's looking like he'll be the starter going into the season. Berger is probably the primary backup at that position.
Ah okay, I must have missed that somehow; good to see we've got someone with game experience (even if it is at tackle) on that side of the line, would be a bit nervous if both our right OLs were rookies.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

T.J. has some big shoes to Phil
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

At this time, this is probably the biggest issue facing the team.

In terms of performance, Loadholt always struggled to a degree in the passing game, so the loss might not be as bad here over time. There is no substitute for his experience. In the running game Loadholt was a monster, there will definitely be a drop off here.

The fact that our right side is entirely new and untested is a reason for skepticism. My guess is that this will increase the pressure on Matt Kalil. Protection will likely need to shift to support the younger guys on the right side, meaning he will get more difficult blocking assignments. Hopefully the article about his good health and renewed vigor is true.

What a bummer to lose Loadholt this way.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Truly sorry about PL, NEXT LOADGRADER UP!!!
Hit the ground running TJ.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

as of know its Kalil Fusco, Sullivan Harris, Clemmings

Harris likes the guard spot and fusco and Kalil seem okay together..

They signed an EX Giant Tackle who didn't catch on with cowboys a season ago
or two
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pseudo Everything wrote:T.J. has some big shoes to Phil
:rock: >rimshot< :rock:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Went back to the pre-draft stuff to read some more scouting reports on him and I came across this tweet:
Doug Farrar @SI_DougFarrar
I'm comparing T.J. Clemmings to Tyron Smith. Am I nuts? Perhaps. But after further review, I believe he could be that good over time.
https://twitter.com/si_dougfarrar/statu ... 5602052097

:shock:

Hopefully he's a quick learner.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Granted, Clemmings was playing against Tampa-grade backups most of the time, too. Hope he keeps it up - otherwise, Mike Harris wasn't too bad when he played in place of Load last season. Not sure who'd move up to take that RG spot, though. Probably the new guy they just signed, maybe Tyrus.

Replacing Loadholt is an awfully difficult task for a rookie, though, considering that he graded out as the best lineman in a lot of games over the past couple years. If he can do it, though, that bodes awfully well for the team in the future, even if Loadholt makes a full recovery and comes back in 2016. Nice to have options.
-Rus
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Rus wrote:Granted, Clemmings was playing against Tampa-grade backups most of the time, too. Hope he keeps it up - otherwise, Mike Harris wasn't too bad when he played in place of Load last season. Not sure who'd move up to take that RG spot, though. Probably the new guy they just signed, maybe Tyrus.
I'm guessing Berger would start at RG in that scenario.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Nobody has mentioned how well Bykowski has played this preseason. I won't be surprised to see him get some second team reps at RT at some point against the Raiders. He could be a legitimate option there if Clemmings struggles.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

fiestavike wrote:Nobody has mentioned how well Bykowski has played this preseason. I won't be surprised to see him get some second team reps at RT at some point against the Raiders. He could be a legitimate option there if Clemmings struggles.
He had shoulder surgery. Possible season-ender.