Preseason Week 2- Minnesota Vikings vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: Preseason Week 2- Minnesota Vikings vs. Tampa Bay Buccan

Post by John_Viveiros »

TeddyBaller wrote:so curious what was your non-biased assessment of jameis winston
If I hadn't know where the guys were drafted, I would have taken Heineke over Winston, without too much question. I'll re-watch the game later just to re-evaluate, but our rookie seemed to have a presence and a calmness out there, and was pretty darn accurate (12-16 IIRC) while Winston was a shotgun spraying passes all over, and didn't look like he had pocket presence. Of course, Winston was going against our #1's and #2's, and Heineke was going against their #2's and #3's. And I would take Heineke's offensive coaches over anything the Bucs have, if we're really trying to cut Jameis some slack.

Still, I remember watching "he who shall not be named", who has dozens of NFL starts, play late in the preseason last year against 3rd stringers and stink up the place. So I think it's legit to say that Heineke is doing well.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

John_Viveiros wrote: If I hadn't know where the guys were drafted, I would have taken Heineke over Winston, without too much question.
It helps that Heineke has one of the top 3 offensive coordinators in football running his show and a much better system in place than Winston. Tampa is a mess aside from having a bunch of wide receivers that look like NBA small forwards.

Winston was taken highly because he has tools that Heineke cannot develop or obtain. That doesn't mean that Winston will be a better quarterback, it's just that he has the capability to be an NFL starter and Heineke has backup level ability. That's a good thing because the Vikings needed a backup. But if I were Tampa, I'd take the top rated quarterback because Mike Glennon probably isn't more than a backup.

If Winston figures things out, he could be a very good quarterback. I would have drafted Mariota purely because of Winston's off-field problems and a feeling that the collegiate system around Winston didn't develop much of a sense of accountability, responsibility, or work-ethic needed to develop smoothly as an NFL quarterback. Honestly, though, this year's draft clearly wasn't a good year for quarterbacks. The "starter" grade guys had too many questions and there were a LOT of 3rd string type guys in the draft. Good thing the Vikes took Teddy last year...this year was just a mess (and of course, we would have had to sit through watching Ponder play outdoors).

And yeah. I'll say his name. He's just a guy who didn't work out, not unlike Tarvaris Jackson and others before him. It's not like they blew everything up and caused a bunch of problems for the organization before they left or anything. They're just guys who might have been able to be starters but couldn't get themselves to be much more than backups.
-Rus
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

This is based off of very little but Winston does strike me as a "Barter"

back up starter. Shouldn't be a starter, but just passable enough to hang onto it for too long.

Much like Rus said with Jackson. It's early.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wasn't impressed with Winston but I will say he seemed to wake up after getting hit by Griffen. If he's one of those guys that plays better under adversity then he may end up having a good career.

We'll see what personnel moves the Vikings make this week, hard to believe they won't bring in competition for Clemmings. Waynes was hot and cold but to be expected. I don't know what's up with captain but there's definitely some sort of issue.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From Matt Vensel:

Vikings have time at right tackle, four other takeaways from last night's win
1. The loss of Loadholt for the season is a tough one, but at least it happened now. On an individual level, you can’t help but feel for a guy like Loadholt when he is carted off to the locker room with a towel over his head to hide his emotions. Loadholt is beloved in the locker room. One could tell by how linemen such as Matt Kalil, John Sullivan and Brandon Fusco ached along with him, especially since he had just worked his way back from a torn pectoral. On the team level, losing a projected starter at a key spot stings, but that it happened so early in the preseason means the Vikings have about a month to solidify a new plan before Week 1. Rookie T.J. Clemmings did a decent job last night, so the Vikings plan to give the fourth-round pick the first crack at replacing Loadholt. They want to take more time to further evaluate their internal options before considering going outside.
I didn't see the game yesterday or hear the news about Loadholt before watching it today. I really felt for the big guy after seeing him struggle to get off the field and hearing about his injury. That's a rotten development, especially for somebody who just worked hard to come back from an injury.

I'm pretty concerned about the impact this could have on the o-line. I was disappointed that the Vikes didn't sign a veteran o-lineman early in free agency OR spend a day or 1 or day 2 draft pick on the OL. I hope they don't end up regretting that choice.
5. Jarius Wright brings a big-play dimension to the slot receiver role that Greg Jennings couldn’t provide last year. That’s not meant to be a knock on Jennings. I’m just noting that they have different skill sets. Wright has the kind of wheels that Jennings might not have had even in his prime. On the opening drive, Wright ran a crossing route from right to left and got across the field quickly enough for Teddy Bridgewater, who was efficient once again last night, to hit him in open space. The result was a 26-yard gain. Two drives later, Wright wrestled free of a jam and slipped into a soft spot in zone coverage for a 24-yard gain that set up fullback Zach Line’s touchdown plunge. Wright probably won’t end up catching as many passes as fellow wide receivers Mike Wallace or Charles Johnson or even tight end Kyle Rudolph this season, but count on him contributing some more big plays.
I thought Wright was one of the most dynamic players on the team last year and I'm beginning to think his potential impact on this season has been somewhat overlooked. I won't be surprised if he turns out to be one of the team's very best weapons this year. He seems to fit well in Turner's offense and have chemistry with Bridgewater. I'm anticipating a big year for JW!
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I got to see the game live at TCF Bank Stadium last night. Some observation seeing things live instead of on TV.

Norv Turner's offense is heavily reliant on clearing routes. It seemed like same plays were being repeated over and over.

CP had a hard time separating himself from his DB. His head fakes wasn't really fooling anyone.

TJ Clemmings is built more like a TE. A couple of passing plays I saw him waiting for the DE to come to him instead of taking a short set and going after the DE.

Even with all the negative things listed above, the Vikings were moving the ball well, and their defense was smothering.

I still think this team will have an above .500 record this year.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

petev_sj wrote: Norv Turner's offense is heavily reliant on clearing routes. It seemed like same plays were being repeated over and over.
Dont jump to conclusions about Norvs offense, the preseason is about individual evaluation and the play calling reflects this.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

petev_sj wrote:I got to see the game live at TCF Bank Stadium last night. Some observation seeing things live instead of on TV.

Norv Turner's offense is heavily reliant on clearing routes. It seemed like same plays were being repeated over and over.

CP had a hard time separating himself from his DB. His head fakes wasn't really fooling anyone.

TJ Clemmings is built more like a TE. A couple of passing plays I saw him waiting for the DE to come to him instead of taking a short set and going after the DE.

Even with all the negative things listed above, the Vikings were moving the ball well, and their defense was smothering.

I still think this team will have an above .500 record this year.
Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to see the plays you mentioned of Clemmings. The tackles and O-line in general aren't really attackers on pass plays. RT's use a drop step with their right leg to start the formation of the pocket and basically just paddy-cake with force on pass rushers (for lack of a better description at the moment). Not saying you're wrong, just want to get a visual on what happened.

Hopefully he pans out quick.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I missed the second half. Anything or anyone stand out? Good and bad.
It was the Kendricks show in the 2nd half.

Funny. Seemed like it was just yesterday the LB position was a liability. Its now probably one of the most deepest positions on the team.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote: It was the Kendricks show in the 2nd half.

Funny. Seemed like it was just yesterday the LB position was a liability. Its now probably one of the most deepest positions on the team.

I agree. In addition to Kendricks, Cole, Hodges, and Watts have all looked solid. Even Greenway had a nice TFL yesterday.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote:
I agree. In addition to Kendricks, Cole, Hodges, and Watts have all looked solid. Even Greenway had a nice TFL yesterday.
Hodges has been awesome so far. I like what he is doing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to see the plays you mentioned of Clemmings. The tackles and O-line in general aren't really attackers on pass plays. RT's use a drop step with their right leg to start the formation of the pocket and basically just paddy-cake with force on pass rushers (for lack of a better description at the moment). Not saying you're wrong, just want to get a visual on what happened.

Hopefully he pans out quick.
I don't have videos of it, just saw with my own eyes and remember the plays.

A drop step OT will get eaten alive in the NFL. As an offensive player, you have the advantage of knowing if the next play is going to be a 3 step, 5 step, or shot gun. As an OT, you are responsible for setting the edge on each play. If the DE is an aggressive pass rusher, you take a short set and attack him so that his first step becomes useless. On a lot of the plays, I focused mainly on Clemmings. Whether the DE was taking an aggressive first step or taking a wide angle. Clemmings would just drop back, stick his palms in front of him, and wait for the DE to come to him. I didn't like seeing that.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

By week 5 Hodges, Barr and Kendricks will be the starters, mark my words. Ages 24,23 and 23, all 3 are fast as #### , have eyes for the ball and play solid at the position. Sorry greenway, I love you man but that kind of speed and fire would be stupid to not exploit. I can't remember this team having a linebacker corps that young and promising.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Boon wrote:By week 5 Hodges, Barr and Kendricks will be the starters, mark my words. Ages 24,23 and 23, all 3 are fast as #### , have eyes for the ball and play solid at the position. Sorry greenway, I love you man but that kind of speed and fire would be stupid to not exploit. I can't remember this team having a linebacker corps that young and promising.
I think Greenway will be getting the start and play on rushing downs, but I think he'll be replaced in the nickel soon.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I haven't had a chance to read through this whole thread yet but was anybody else a bit unsettled by how effectively the Bucs were running the ball against the Vikes starting defense?