Zach Line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Zach Line

Post by Mothman »

A lot of VMB fans seem down on Line so I thought this brief Star Tribune article (by Mark Craig) from mid-August might be of interest:

http://www.startribune.com/to-keep-a-fu ... 322166081/
Yes, coach Mike Zimmer said earlier in camp that it’s not essential the team keeps a true fullback on the 53-man roster. But the full context of the question and answer indicated to this observer that the intent of Zimmer’s answer was to simply to make it clear that Line would “have to earn his position, like everybody else.” And Line does appear to be a worker bee in practice.

Monday, offensive coordinator Norv Turner made his feelings known about Line’s role with the team.

“Zach Line is a very good football player,” Turner said. “He’s a very versatile football player. He can play fullback, he can play halfback, he can play on special teams. He’s having an outstanding training camp so I see him as a valuable part of our offense.”
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Zach Line

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:“Zach Line is a very good football player,” Turner said. “He’s a very versatile football player. He can play fullback, he can play halfback, he can play on special teams. He’s having an outstanding training camp so I see him as a valuable part of our offense.”

Turner's assessment of Line is important. If a player can wear different hats, including special teams, it almost always gives them an edge at making the roster.

There is so much that we at VMB can't see during camp. Sounds as if Line worked hard.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Turner's assessment of Line is important. If a player can wear different hats, including special teams, it almost always gives them an edge at making the roster.

There is so much that we at VMB can't see during camp. Sounds as if Line worked hard.
Yes, and as you said, Turner's assessment is important, all the more so because nobody would have a better idea than Turner about how Line could fit into the Vikes offensive plans.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I'll put it this way...

No one who got released is anyone that I'd beat the drum for instead of Line.

Now, if it came at the expense of Chase Ford, I'd be doing a 5 minute drum solo.
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:I'll put it this way...

No one who got released is anyone that I'd beat the drum for instead of Line.

Now, if it came at the expense of Chase Ford, I'd be doing a 5 minute drum solo.
Same, I have been a solid supporter of Chase Ford since he became a Viking. He has made a few mistakes, been then everyone has (expect Teddy hah).

I dont see the advantages of keeping Line over an Olineman. Especially, when I think Asiata can do ANYTHING line can, and then some. Even picking up Harris (RB) who we just cut, and let him split time with AD for the first half of the season. McKinnon, another player based on athletic prowess rather then performance (wanted him as a Soroles type) doesnt strike me as being all that good. Harris at least can punish the defense. And Asiata is a bit better the more he plays as a 3rd down back, and is a good screen/receiver for shortline stuff and goal line.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The guy I would have kept would have been another OL or Willams #43 he played and had
a beautiful one handed catch against the titans. I also saw some flashes of him against
Dallas.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Reminds me of that liability Tahi.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I wish they just moved Asiata to FB. I just don't trust line back there, however, it's not like we lost any valuable players in the cuts so I guess it works out in a way. Although by cutting him, we could have snagged somebody off waivers
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I like the premise of Asiata/Ellison at FB (and am not a big Line fan) but does anyone know if it's an easy transition/position? I mean, we're sitting here and saying these guys have the potential to do it but wouldn't that take snaps away from their primary role and is it a foregone conclusion they'd be able to do it better than Line?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:I like the premise of Asiata/Ellison at FB (and am not a big Line fan) but does anyone know if it's an easy transition/position? I mean, we're sitting here and saying these guys have the potential to do it but wouldn't that take snaps away from their primary role and is it a foregone conclusion they'd be able to do it better than Line?
Line may not be a great pure FB, but he adds a dimension as a runner and receiver. I'm curious to see what ways they find to use him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Line may not be a great pure FB, but he adds a dimension as a runner and receiver. I'm curious to see what ways they find to use him.
So does Asiata
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:I like the premise of Asiata/Ellison at FB (and am not a big Line fan) but does anyone know if it's an easy transition/position? I mean, we're sitting here and saying these guys have the potential to do it but wouldn't that take snaps away from their primary role and is it a foregone conclusion they'd be able to do it better than Line?
Apparently you have never played Madden...just put them in at FB and the only downside is they lose a few AWR points...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DK Sweets wrote:Apparently you have never played Madden...just put them in at FB and the only downside is they lose a few AWR points...
Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not a foregone conclusion but it seems to be one of those positions that is an easier transition. Remember D'imperio (forget exactly how it's spelled), he was a LB who I'm pretty sure had no FB experience. Looks like Line and Felton played some LB too. Lorenzo Neal was a halfback until he was injured. I think these days it's hard to find a pure FB since they're not utilized as much in college anymore.

I see it like any backup, you need to be able to play special teams or be versatile enough to play another position to add value to the team.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Norv Turner values a true fullback even if use is limited
Offensive coordinator Norv Turner didn’t sound like a guy who is going to lean heavily on a true fullback this season. But he also said Line serves an important purpose on the team.Line serves an important purpose on the team.

“One thing he’s showed us is he’s quick to the target, he’s a physical player and he’s a very good athlete so he stays on blocks,” Turner said. “There aren’t very many plays where his guy made the tackle, in terms of what we’re doing.

“We’re not a big two-back, fullback in the game team, but it’s something we need to be able to do, we need to be able to do it out of our base personnel, we have to do it out of our short-yardage and goal line. There are so many things that you end up with two tight ends and two backs in the game, backed up for a minute. There’s a lot of different times you use that different personnel group. He’s valuable to us.”