WR Depth Chart

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: WR Depth Chart

Post by Purple bruise »

I would have said Wes Welker was the #1 guy in New England for years even though he primarily played in the slot, for instance.[/quote]

I guess you could always look at it that way too. It depends on what kind of offense you run as well. In an offense like Turners, your #1 is usually the X WR. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

As for Thielen, I don't see any way he could make the roster this year with Diggs now in the mix. Diggs offers a lot more than Thielen and could be an eventual replacement for Wallace (because they are similar in skill set). Thielen isn't going to offer anything offensively. Maybe special teams but thats about it.[/quote]

I would wager that with his special team skills alone and with his hustle and desire he will easily make this year's roster.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple bruise wrote:I would have said Wes Welker was the #1 guy in New England for years even though he primarily played in the slot, for instance.
I guess you could always look at it that way too. It depends on what kind of offense you run as well. In an offense like Turners, your #1 is usually the X WR. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

As for Thielen, I don't see any way he could make the roster this year with Diggs now in the mix. Diggs offers a lot more than Thielen and could be an eventual replacement for Wallace (because they are similar in skill set). Thielen isn't going to offer anything offensively. Maybe special teams but thats about it.[/quote]

I would wager that with his special team skills alone and with his hustle and desire he will easily make this year's roster.[/quote]

Then we will be going with 6 WRs if that's the case. No way any of the other 5 end up cut.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Then we will be going with 6 WRs if that's the case. No way any of the other 5 end up cut.
This is my main point. I'm not convinced he will make the roster, but if he does, I will SHOCKED if he makes it over Wallace, Johnson, Wright, Patterson, or Diggs.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I guess you could always look at it that way too. It depends on what kind of offense you run as well. In an offense like Turners, your #1 is usually the X WR. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

As for Thielen, I don't see any way he could make the roster this year with Diggs now in the mix. Diggs offers a lot more than Thielen and could be an eventual replacement for Wallace (because they are similar in skill set). Thielen isn't going to offer anything offensively. Maybe special teams but thats about it.

I would wager that with his special team skills alone and with his hustle and desire he will easily make this year's roster.[/quote]

Then we will be going with 6 WRs if that's the case. No way any of the other 5 end up cut.[/quote]

Whoa! Diggs hasn't even played a down of preseason football and he is already better than Adam and eventually replacing Wallace? I think we should see if he can play in the NFL before we make him our future #1 receiver. :-)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:On Facebook someone asked who is the Vikings #1 WR... Charles Johnson or Mike Wallace. Is it just me, or is this a really dumb question... And even more questionable is that some people were saying Johnson is #1 and Wallace is #2... Am I missing something? When did Johnson make the quantum leap to #1 on the depth chart??? :confused:
I don't know if they even have a #1 WR on the depth chart. If they do, it's probably Wallace but they may not look at it that way.

The whole notion of a "#1 receiver" is ill-defined. As DK said above, it usually seems to refer to the most productive receiver on the team (ie: the "go to" guy). I don't know how many coaches even use the term. I suspect they see the WRs, and the WR depth chart, more in terms of who fits what role. In other words, there's probably a top-of-the-depth-chart player at split end, one at flanker, etc.

The split end/X receiver is often the biggest, most productive receiver on the team and consequently, he often ends up being the "#1 receiver" but the latter term isn't simply a synonym for the X receiver. The X receiver isn't the #1 receiver by default (sorry, Charles Johnson).

I'd say as things stand now, the Vikings don't have a #1 receiver. Wallace is the most likely candidate, because his resumé suggests he's likely to be the team's most productive WR. However, since he's new to the team and nobody else has clearly established themselves as a #1 receiver", I'd say the Vikes don't really have one. That designation is available for someone to seize!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mmvikes wrote:

Whoa! Diggs hasn't even played a down of preseason football and he is already better than Adam and eventually replacing Wallace? I think we should see if he can play in the NFL before we make him our future #1 receiver. :-)
Thielen doesnt really offer a whole lot outside of special teams play. Diggs was talked up pre-draft, during mini camp, and recently by DB coach Jerry Gray for running exceptional routes and having great hands and saying he's going to surprise a lot of people. Granted, we have to see him on the field, but by the looks of it, he'll be much better than Thielen. And I'm not saying he will definitely replace Wallace but he has a very very similar skill set so it's definitely very possible.

Do you actually think Thielen has more to offer than Diggs?? I sure hope not. We had pretty weak WRs last year before Johnson came along and he hardly saw the field. Now you add Wallace and Diggs to the mix along Johnson and with CP sprinkled in, Thielen's hope of seeing the field is as low as it gets from a WR stand point. i think that's pretty clear
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Thielen doesnt really offer a whole lot outside of special teams play. Diggs was talked up pre-draft, during mini camp, and recently by DB coach Jerry Gray for running exceptional routes and having great hands and saying he's going to surprise a lot of people. Granted, we have to see him on the field, but by the looks of it, he'll be much better than Thielen. And I'm not saying he will definitely replace Wallace but he has a very very similar skill set so it's definitely very possible.

Do you actually think Thielen has more to offer than Diggs?? I sure hope not. We had pretty weak WRs last year before Johnson came along and he hardly saw the field. Now you add Wallace and Diggs to the mix along Johnson and with CP sprinkled in, Thielen's hope of seeing the field is as low as it gets from a WR stand point. i think that's pretty clear
Nothing wrong with a guy that is a special teams boost, kinda guy

Diggs isn't nearly as fast as Wallace though? Going to have to look at his forty time ?? 4.46 40yard /4.32 20 yard shuffle 7.03 Cone drill

Wallace times 4.33 40 yards 6.90 three Cone drill/ 4.27 20 yard. shuffle

I think Wallace in a straight foot race, would win... Diggs might be more instinctive at making guys miss and football field related speed.
Some guys just have different gears when they play the game..Jerry Rice was this way..No I am not saying Diggs is Jerry Rice. I do
believe the Spielman/Zimmer brain trust is doing a very good job at getting football, team oriented guys in the last few years. IMO
teams that are full of these guys win Championships ...AKA NY Giants ...they overachieved and beat the Pats twice
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thielen doesnt really offer a whole lot outside of special teams play. Diggs was talked up pre-draft, during mini camp, and recently by DB coach Jerry Gray for running exceptional routes and having great hands and saying he's going to surprise a lot of people. Granted, we have to see him on the field, but by the looks of it, he'll be much better than Thielen. And I'm not saying he will definitely replace Wallace but he has a very very similar skill set so it's definitely very possible.

At this point, yes. Thielen has more to offer than Diggs. Diggs has the potential to become a good weapon for us, but he hasn't seen any game action yet. I hope he becomes great, but the NFL is littered with guys who had potential and did not pan out. (And, no I am not saying that is what will happen with Diggs) Hell, right now I would put Thielen in front of Patterson. Patterson has great potential, but as of yet, has not reached that potential. Adam was not supposed to make it two years ago but made the PS. Adam was not supposed to make it last year, but made the roster. Don't count him out. After losing Jennings, Thielen is the only receiver on our roster that is a good route runner. We are loaded with speed, but it would be nice for Teddy to have that possession guy who will always be in the right spot on the field. Adam has not had much opportunity to show us what he can do in game action. Maybe that is because the coaches see, based on practices, that he is too limited. I don't know. I am not privy to those practices. I trust the staff and Rick, so whatever they decide is best for the team, is best for the team. I would not be as quick as most on here to throw Adam out with yesterdays bath water yet. Hopefully the roster spot they saved with Felton is used for a 6th WR and they all make the squad.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote: Nothing wrong with a guy that is a special teams boost, kinda guy

Diggs isn't nearly as fast as Wallace though? Going to have to look at his forty time ?? 4.46 40yard /4.32 20 yard shuffle 7.03 Cone drill

Wallace times 4.33 40 yards 6.90 three Cone drill/ 4.27 20 yard. shuffle

I think Wallace in a straight foot race, would win... Diggs might be more instinctive at making guys miss and football field related speed.
Some guys just have different gears when they play the game..Jerry Rice was this way..No I am not saying Diggs is Jerry Rice. I do
believe the Spielman/Zimmer brain trust is doing a very good job at getting football, team oriented guys in the last few years. IMO
teams that are full of these guys win Championships ...AKA NY Giants ...they overachieved and beat the Pats twice
Listen, there aren't many WRs in the entire NFL that are as fast as Wallace let alone anyone on our team. So comparing 40 times doesn't really show much. A 4.46 is still a very fast WR. It's just that nobody really compares to Wallace's speed.

Diggs: 6'0
Wallace 6'0

Diggs: 195 lbs (as a rookie)
Wallace: 205 lbs (was 199 coming in as a rookie)

Diggs: Good speed, instinctive route runner, high points the ball, does a great job of creating separation, dangerous with the ball in space, impressive acceleration and change of directions (from his scouting profile on NFL.com)

Wallace: Great speed, reliable route runner and pass catcher, does a good job sinking hips and getting separation, makes defenders miss in space, great acceleration (from his scouting profile on NFL.com as a rookie)

Side note on Diggs: He was a 5 star recruit that stayed home to help build a local program.

.....As you can see, they are very, very similar in a lot of areas. I understand Diggs hasn't seen an NFL snap, but if you don't see the "possibility" of him replacing Wallace down the road or if Wallace doesnt pan out, then there is something wrong here.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mmvikes wrote:
At this point, yes. Thielen has more to offer than Diggs. Diggs has the potential to become a good weapon for us, but he hasn't seen any game action yet. I hope he becomes great, but the NFL is littered with guys who had potential and did not pan out. (And, no I am not saying that is what will happen with Diggs) Hell, right now I would put Thielen in front of Patterson. Patterson has great potential, but as of yet, has not reached that potential. Adam was not supposed to make it two years ago but made the PS. Adam was not supposed to make it last year, but made the roster. Don't count him out. After losing Jennings, Thielen is the only receiver on our roster that is a good route runner. We are loaded with speed, but it would be nice for Teddy to have that possession guy who will always be in the right spot on the field. Adam has not had much opportunity to show us what he can do in game action. Maybe that is because the coaches see, based on practices, that he is too limited. I don't know. I am not privy to those practices. I trust the staff and Rick, so whatever they decide is best for the team, is best for the team. I would not be as quick as most on here to throw Adam out with yesterdays bath water yet. Hopefully the roster spot they saved with Felton is used for a 6th WR and they all make the squad.
Ok, I am from New York and do not follow any teams in Minnesota other than the Vikings and T'Wolves. I understand the fact that Thielen is a local kid and everyone wants to see him do good. I played against Latavius Murray in high school (starting RB for the Raiders) and I always root for him to do good because you like seeing local products make it big.

However, I just feel like I see too much "homer" perspectives when it comes to Thielen on here. I don't want to sit here and sound like I don't like the guys because I do. Yet, there were times last year where guys were saying he was so much better than WR's that were starting when nobody every saw him play a snap at WR. This year rolls around and he had 8 catches and a lone TD in a meaningless game and we had pretty weak WRs on this roster.

ONCE AGAIN, how can anyone sit here and say Adam Thielen (FROM A WR STANDPOINT) has more to offer than guys like Patterson and Diggs when he only has 8 career catches. You say I basically can't use Diggs because he has never played a snap but you're going to say Thielen is better because he has 8 career catches?? 8 catches is what you're going on?? That isn't much of a backing in an argument like this.
If you saw the practice video that leaked out of Minnesota Vikings minicamp about a month ago, then you saw something electric — Stefon Diggs returning a punt. But Diggs did more than just return a punt; he caught the ball like a seasoned veteran, made two defenders look silly with lightning-quick jukes, and sped toward the end zone while making fans' jaws drop everywhere.
Just by the way Diggs has looked in camp and based on the reports coming out of camp, he has been very impressive. DB coach Jerry Gray said he is going to surprise a lot of people. Last time I checked, I haven't heard a word regarding Thielen and for a guy that didnt offer much from a WR standpoint last year, I can't imagine it will take Diggs too long to surpass him on the depth chart, if he hasn't already.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Perfectly stated and agreed 100%.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Thielen is better than CP and Diggs because CP and Diggs haven't proven theirselves?

What has Thielen done in game action, again?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

DK Sweets wrote:Thielen is better than CP and Diggs because CP and Diggs haven't proven theirselves?

What has Thielen done in game action, again?
Exactly what I'm saying!! There have been a few on here that have said, "Thielen is better than this guy and Thielen is better than that guy", but HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW??!!! He doesn't get enough playing time to say so, so I find it odd when people criticize me for mentioning Diggs when Thielen has made 8 career catches and hasnt proven a thing
-Chazz Palminteri
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Ok, I am from New York and do not follow any teams in Minnesota other than the Vikings and T'Wolves. I understand the fact that Thielen is a local kid and everyone wants to see him do good. I played against Latavius Murray in high school (starting RB for the Raiders) and I always root for him to do good because you like seeing local products make it big.

However, I just feel like I see too much "homer" perspectives when it comes to Thielen on here. I don't want to sit here and sound like I don't like the guys because I do. Yet, there were times last year where guys were saying he was so much better than WR's that were starting when nobody every saw him play a snap at WR. This year rolls around and he had 8 catches and a lone TD in a meaningless game and we had pretty weak WRs on this roster.

ONCE AGAIN, how can anyone sit here and say Adam Thielen (FROM A WR STANDPOINT) has more to offer than guys like Patterson and Diggs when he only has 8 career catches. You say I basically can't use Diggs because he has never played a snap but you're going to say Thielen is better because he has 8 career catches?? 8 catches is what you're going on?? That isn't much of a backing in an argument like this.
Just by the way Diggs has looked in camp and based on the reports coming out of camp, he has been very impressive. DB coach Jerry Gray said he is going to surprise a lot of people. Last time I checked, I haven't heard a word regarding Thielen and for a guy that didnt offer much from a WR standpoint last year, I can't imagine it will take Diggs too long to surpass him on the depth chart, if he hasn't already.

Quote; I do. Yet, there were times last year where guys were saying he was so much better than WR's that were starting when nobody every saw him play a snap at WR.

This is exactly what I am saying about the many people writing off Thielen for Diggs. Your point of discussion made my point for me. Look, I also think Diggs may be special and I really hope he is. It would be nice if he did show enough to replace Wallace and we could shed Wallaces cap number next year. My point is simply, there are many people writing off Thielen because of the expectations for Diggs yet Diggs has only been in shorts so far. Adam has proven us wrong before so don't kick him out the door yet.
BTW, I have lived in Chicago for 35 years and the Vikes are my Minnesota team. I do love when a home grown player makes it with the team. That is not why I am pulling for Adam to make the team. I really love guys who work hard and play above expectations rather than resting on their ability. All things being at least close, I will take that player every time. The drive and hunger to make yourself better just appeals to me. I really hope CP shows that this year. He seems to have worked hard in the offseason and I hope it pays dividends.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

And PHP, I did not mean for this to sound like an attack on you, if that is the way it came across. Just think Adam could surprise us again. Truth be told, he is the likely candidate to draw the short straw, but you never know what is going to happen when we start playing other teams in preseason, and Thielen is not one to lay back and let someone take his job.