Why is this Zimmers defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Why is this Zimmers defense

Post by jackal »

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/6/8/8 ... er-defense

Great article on Zimmer's coaching history and dynamic style
The big jump in defensive performance last year is not so much about Zimmer's scheme, as it is about Zimmer's coaching. Zimmer has said he wants good teachers as coaches.
In Dallas, Cincinnati and Minnesota, team defense improved dramatically in the first years under Mike Zimmer. The only exception was Zimmer's one-year stint in Atlanta, which was aborted with Bobby Petrino's quick abandonment which drew the expletive-laced ire of Zimmer - and for good reason.
But disguising coverages and being able to play either effectively on a given play is important, and that was not the case so much in previous years. It was often very frustrating to watch a quarterback skilled at exposing the weaknesses of the zone defense, such as Aaron Rodgers, complete seam routes effortlessly it seemed at one point, and at another take advantage of a big CB cushion to complete an easy out route for a first down.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Why is this Zimmers defense

Post by losperros »

Excellent article on Zimmer's defense, both in the past and what he's doing currently with the Vikings.

I believe Zimmer was a great hire for the Vikings. He can't change things overnight, but I think the guy has vision. I'm enjoying watching him build the team that he wants.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link, Ken. That was an interesting read. I'm inclined to attribute more credit for the defensive improvement we saw last year to personnel changes, good health in the secondary and the players themselves than the author did. However, I don't disagree at all that coaching had something to do with it too. After all, Zimmer has a strong track record as a defensive coach and it seemed like the players responded well to the new staff. Regardless of how the credit gets divided up, we saw a welcome step forward for the defense and hopefully, they'll take another one this season. With a year of experience in the system and the addition of some more young talent, that should be possible.

Craig mentioned vision above and I think we're already getting a pretty good idea of Zimmer's vision for the defense. I don't know if that's true for the offense yet. Hopefully, with Peterson back and everybody healthy, we'll get a better idea of Zimmer's vision for that unit this season.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Zimdiggety!!!! :thumbsup: Coach was the best hire for a struggling team. I am so glad that Zimmer lasted until the Vikings needed him. His style and vigor are just what the doctor ordered. :D
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Surprising Joseph didn't buy into the scheme last year. First I've heard of this. Well, that's how I interpreted
Joseph said near the close of the year that, "it was hard to do what they asked me to do" when the season began, so that explains some of his regression- of course getting shot in the leg didn't help either- but he thinks things are coming together and this year will be a great year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Surprising Joseph didn't buy into the scheme last year. First I've heard of this. Well, that's how I interpreted
It may not mean that he didn't buy into the scheme but rather that it was a difficult adjustment for him because he was being asked to handle his position differently than he did with the Giants. It's hard to tell exactly what he meant from that brief quote.
esox07
Practice Squad

Post by esox07 »

This is clearly Zimmer's defense. He is even going to call defensive plays this year.
============================================
Zimmer still plans on calling defensive plays next season, which is
important in these first few years of turning around a franchise that
has finished below .500 in four of the last five seasons -- a first in
53 years that includes Zimmer's head coaching debut. It's important
because of the coach's track record when calling the shots. In his two
longterm stops as defensive coordinator, in Dallas and Cincinnati, Year
2 culminated in top 5 defenses in terms of yards allowed per game and
yards allowed per play for both franchises.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Kram ... _why060915
Transplant stuck in the middle of enemy territory!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: It may not mean that he didn't buy into the scheme but rather that it was a difficult adjustment for him because he was being asked to handle his position differently than he did with the Giants. It's hard to tell exactly what he meant from that brief quote.
I think you're exactly right about that, Jim. At least that's how I read it since the quote ends with Joseph thinking this year will be great.

Besides, no one said Zimmer's scheme is easy. I imagine there had to be some difficult transitions for many of the D players.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

that's got to be hard for players .. to buy in to a new coaches play style. Think of Oakland guys they might
have four of five coaching changes in their career easily. I'm sure some of the long term Vikings had three
coaching staff changes.

It wouldn't surprise me for us to be top defense this next season (top five would be awesome)
We have the talent, but injuries, schedule , and a little luck play into a great season.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
esox07
Practice Squad

Post by esox07 »

I think we are a little young to become the TOP defense this year. But give it another season or two and just maybe?
I don't think the offense will be too far behind either. Maybe not even top 5 but getting there.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

What does george edwards do if Zim is essentially the defensive coordinator.
esox07
Practice Squad

Post by esox07 »

There is a lot more to being a coordinator than calling plays. Not much different than a HC calling offensive plays. The coordinator still coaches, coordinates, and does all the other day to day duties. Probably not an ideal situation for a coordinator though. It is almost like have a RB in the game for all the plays until the team is inside the 10 yard line and then bringing in a "goal line" RB to get the TD.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

esox07 wrote:There is a lot more to being a coordinator than calling plays. Not much different than a HC calling offensive plays. The coordinator still coaches, coordinates, and does all the other day to day duties. Probably not an ideal situation for a coordinator though. It is almost like have a RB in the game for all the plays until the team is inside the 10 yard line and then bringing in a "goal line" RB to get the TD.
Although it is great for the fans when the team scores.

Or in this case, stops them from scoring!! :smilevike:
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

losperros wrote: I think you're exactly right about that, Jim. At least that's how I read it since the quote ends with Joseph thinking this year will be great.

Besides, no one said Zimmer's scheme is easy. I imagine there had to be some difficult transitions for many of the D players.
Yeah, I believe you're right Moth. When they talked about Munnerlyn not listening to Zimmer right before talking about Joseph, I just assumed Joseph struggled for the same reason.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014