Rick Spielman's Post Draft interview

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rick Spielman's Post Draft interview

Post by The Breeze »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
This is exactly why it drives me nuts when guys basically call Spielman an idiot for drafting Kalil.....the real idiot is anyone that said he shouldn't have drafted Kalil!! He was a must pick no matter what way you look at it.

guess who made those posts? :rofl:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The Breeze wrote:
guess who made those posts? :rofl:
:lol: I think I have an idea
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Problem with that draft is the 4 players around our pick were trent richardson, morris claiborne, justin blackmon, and matt kalil. Well Richardson is AWFUL, Claiborne's a bust, and blackmons suspended indefinitely I believe. As bad as Kalil's knee's look now a few years down the road in hindsight, you can't argue he should have taken one of those other guys.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mondry wrote:Problem with that draft is the 4 players around our pick were trent richardson, morris claiborne, justin blackmon, and matt kalil. Well Richardson is AWFUL, Claiborne's a bust, and blackmons suspended indefinitely I believe. As bad as Kalil's knee's look now a few years down the road in hindsight, you can't argue he should have taken one of those other guys.
Exactly what I'm saying!! But for some reason guys want to still criticize Spielman for it. Like anyone would have done any better :roll:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

DK Sweets wrote:I'm not going to quote the whole post, but that link didn't clarify anything other than anecdotal evidence that the Vikings liked Manziel. It still doesn't mean that they were targeting him in a potential trade.
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/5/8/5 ... hia-eagles
It looks like the Vikings were poised to make a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles for the #22 pick and select Johnny Manziel with that pick. But the Browns pulled a page from the movie Draft Day and got their guy at the last second by coming in with a better offer.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ng-manziel
NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Thursday that the Vikings tried to trade with the Philadelphia Eagles at No. 22 to draft Manziel, but the Cleveland Browns made a better offer. The Vikings rated the Texas A&M signal-caller as the top quarterback on their board, according to team sources.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/ ... ny-manziel
A coach who had seen the team's draft board told ESPN's Bob Holtzman that Manziel was Minnesota's top-ranked quarterback, followed closely by Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, for whom the Vikings eventually traded up to take at No. 32.

A team source confirmed to Holtzman that the Vikings did try to trade up to take Manziel, and Fox Sports reported on Thursday that the team nearly had a deal in place for the Philadelphia Eagles' pick at No. 22 before the Cleveland Browns came in to trade for the pick and take Manziel.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

cleveland has really helped our cause for a few seasons now. :thumbsup:
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Exactly what I'm saying!! But for some reason guys want to still criticize Spielman for it. Like anyone would have done any better :roll:
I don't blame Rick for the Kalil issues. He was the consensus best LT in the draft, we had a GLARING need at that position. He even started off his initial season very strong, just for whatever reason hasn't fully blossomed into what we felt like we were supposed to be getting their.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

KSViking wrote: I don't blame Rick for the Kalil issues. He was the consensus best LT in the draft, we had a GLARING need at that position. He even started off his initial season very strong, just for whatever reason hasn't fully blossomed into what we felt like we were supposed to be getting their.
I'm not blaming Rick for picking him, I agreed with the pick. My point was people who feel Rick is untouchable. And who give him credit for a guys good season, and then make excuses for bad seasons. A top 5 pick could potentially be off the team after his rookie deal is up, and despite giving the team one good season, was still a good pick? People say you need 3 years to judge a draft class, and after three years, make excuses.

"You can't judge until you know how it plays out"
it plays out
"You can't judge because look at the situation at the time!"

You know why we needed a left tackle? Because the team asked their left tackle to take a pay cut to get under the salary cap, and when he didn't, they cut him...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: I'm not blaming Rick for picking him, I agreed with the pick. My point was people who feel Rick is untouchable. And who give him credit for a guys good season, and then make excuses for bad seasons. A top 5 pick could potentially be off the team after his rookie deal is up, and despite giving the team one good season, was still a good pick? People say you need 3 years to judge a draft class, and after three years, make excuses.

"You can't judge until you know how it plays out"
it plays out
"You can't judge because look at the situation at the time!"

You know why we needed a left tackle? Because the team asked their left tackle to take a pay cut to get under the salary cap, and when he didn't, they cut him...
Nobody is saying he's untouchable. There was no better pick at the time so are you really going to sit here and criticize him for making the pick when you say you agree with it. Any GM in his spot probably would have made that pick or busted on Blackmon or Claiborne so what are you really getting at?? You're drawing dead once again. Injuries and mental issues aren't really excuses. That actually happened. So we aren't making excuses for it we are just stating the obvious and it's not on Spielman that it actually occurred. It happens, its the NFL
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If you're going to judge Spielman on his draft it should be whether or not you agree with his approach more than the actual players he drafts, I think. Someone like Kalil who is a consensus "good pick" on draft day (that he traded down for more picks and still got the player they wanted) isn't a black mark on his record to me even if he doesn't work out.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote:If you're going to judge Spielman on his draft it should be whether or not you agree with his approach more than the actual players he drafts, I think. Someone like Kalil who is a consensus "good pick" on draft day (that he traded down for more picks and still got the player they wanted) isn't a black mark on his record to me even if he doesn't work out.
I completely agree. If we are to believe that his knees have been the primary issue in his struggles as a pro, any blame to be handed out for picking a guy who can't compete would be more properly assigned to the medical evaluation. If it was not foreseeable then its just a matter of bad luck. Either way, it seems to me that the GM made a good value pick in selecting Kalil. I know I wanted them to take Kalil.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins