1.11 Vikings select CB Trae Waynes, Michigan St.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 1.11 Vikings select CB Trae Waynes, Michigan St.

Post by mosscarter »

overrated just like the rest of this entire draft. i believe the second cb drafted had 1 whole interception last year? are you kidding me? this pick means nothing at this point. why not reunite teddy with his number 1 receiver in college? it doesn't make sense to me, but then again rooting for the vikings doesn't either.
Last edited by mosscarter on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

frosted wrote: It was self evident that they were combine results - It appeared you had ordered them from highest to lowest times..sorry, I misunderstood.
No worries. I'm too tired to order them by time, which would've made sense.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Duron Carter might become a Viking yet. He probably doesn't make the 53 now.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

mosscarter wrote:overrated just like the rest of this entire draft. i believe the second cb drafted had 1 whole interception last year? are you kidding me? this pick means nothing at this point. why not reunite teddy with his number 1 receiver in college? it doesn't make sense to me, but then again rooting for the vikings doesn't either.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:overrated just like the rest of this entire draft. i believe the second cb drafted had 1 whole interception last year? are you kidding me? this pick means nothing at this point. why not reunite teddy with his number 1 receiver in college? it doesn't make sense to me, but then again rooting for the vikings doesn't either.
Well there is 31 other teams you can go root for
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We not only didnt take the BPA, we didnt take the best corner. Gotta hope Zimmer knows what he's doing, dont want another bust or so -so first round pick.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

To be clear, I don't dislike Waynes or think he's bad. I just preferred other corners and IMO traditionally a top-11 corner is a better overall talent than Waynes (and at least from my evaluation, the others in this class as well). I think he can be a good corner with the right coaching. He seems to have the right attitude and various measurables. I'm willing to be patient and see what Zimmer can do with him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We not only didnt take the BPA, we didnt take the best corner. Gotta hope Zimmer knows what he's doing, dont want another bust or so -so first round pick.
I'm not sure what other CBs you guys are talking about that are supposedly "better" than Waynes??

The next CB taken after Waynes was Johnson. IMO, both are somewhat similar players that are taller with a slight build. However, Waynes is more of a press man/ shut down CB than Johnson is.

Following that was Marcus Peters who could possibly be the only one better than Waynes but is an absolute idiot. I hope that isn't the one you guys are talking about. He was kicked off the team, has major off the field issues, and supposedly "thinks he's never wrong and will battle with coaches". If you guys wanted him over Waynes then you're out of your mind IMO.

After that was Byron Jones who was a no-name before the combine. Basically shot up draft boards because he is an athletic freak. He is extremely raw.

......andddd that was it. So what CB did we supposedly "miss out" on?? None of them are nearly as appealing to me as Waynes. I just find it odd that Waynes is the #1 CB on every analysts draft board and Spielman/Zimmer's draft board but fans think he isn't the best CB. How do you even come to that conclusion??

Waynes and Parker were my #1 choices for months now. I actually mocked Waynes to us in one or more of my more recent mocks. After White was drafted by Chicago, it sealed the deal for me when it came to us taking Waynes. It was a MUST IMO. I'm just baffled with the assumption of Waynes not being the best CB. The guy has allowed 2 TD's IN TWO YEARS!!! He's hands down the best press man CB out there which is exactly what Zimmer wants and he has size. What more could you ask for???
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Waynes was the logical choice and the only other guy on the board that I could have seen them going with was Parker. In my view it was a wash between the two. Zimmer has proven he knows how to get the best out of defensive players and I doubt he'd agree to take a player if he had doubts.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Satisfied with the pick. It all goes back to my full confidence and support for Zimmer.

The rest of the draft should be interesting.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

I'm good with it. Might not be your typical 11th overall pick but this wasn't a typical draft. Spielman said there isn't much of a difference between 7 to 20 on their board. The Seahawks GM said they only gave 16 players 1st round grades. Waynes has some issues but they should be fixable. They obviously wanted to move down but didn't find a good deal and just took their guy.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I wasn't opposed to Waynes but I was hoping for trade back on more picks..

IMO our O line was the biggest worry last season and still might be now.

We picked up a monster tackle who a lot of people seem to love (including me)
but his skill set good enough for NFL?? question mark

LT Kalil question mark pro bowler or swiss cheese tackle

LG we have no idea on this will be

C solid but getting older

RG Fusco injury concerns

RT Loadholt injury concerns ?? and motivational level IMO

That's a lot of concerns and question marks
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

jackal wrote:I wasn't opposed to Waynes but I was hoping for trade back on more picks..

RG Fusco injury concerns

Thats what I was hoping for too. Parker would have been the better choice, because I dont think Patterson will amount to anything. We could have gotten a number of CBs later. Even Rick said Waynes is going to take 2 years. Now if he ends up like Rhodes, that would be great. If he ends up like Cook, it wont be. I must be missing something, because he really was the one guy whose name I didnt want to hear. Ever since every mock draft had us picking him, and everyone at the draft knew thats what we were going to do. I hope Im wrong, I love the idea of our secondary getting better.
Xivios
Practice Squad

Post by Xivios »

jackal wrote:I wasn't opposed to Waynes but I was hoping for trade back on more picks..

RG Fusco injury concerns

Totally agree. Trading down was also First Option for Spielman (and for me and my own mock), but Trade offers were not better than the advantage taking Waynes. Now we have big holes to fill for OLine and LB.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's a link to Wobby breaking down film of Waynes:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 6b8363cb16