Jerick McKinnon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Jerick McKinnon

Post by jackal »

For me its a matter of bone density and ability to heal and recover as a back.

I would like to see McKinnon tear up the league, but I also would like the Vikings
to have a big guy that generate offense as well. Asiata IMO, can only be useful in
goal line settings; due to lack of burst and speed.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:For me its a matter of bone density and ability to heal and recover as a back.

I would like to see McKinnon tear up the league, but I also would like the Vikings
to have a big guy that generate offense as well. Asiata IMO, can only be useful in
goal line settings; due to lack of burst and speed.
Really :?: just goal line situations? He actually came through time and time again on crucial, short yardage 3rd down situations. He is pretty tough to stop in any short yardage situation. IMO.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... 9-yard-run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGlSNizkkAU
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Personally, I just can't see him being a legitimate workhorse. We don't even know if the guy can stay healthy. He hurt himself lifting weights for gods sake. I want a guy that can step in and pound the rock 25 times a game. Sorry but I just can't see McKinnon do that.

Also, by having no clue what his durability will be like if he were to carry the load, we would basically be going in blind next year. If he was to get hurt early in the season, we are once again stuck with Mr. 3.2 yards per carry, Matt Asiata. Sorry but I do not want to endure the pain of watching that guy carry the ball all game again.

We need to draft a big back like Coleman of Ajayi and let them pound it. And if they were to get hurt, now we have McKinnon as insurance. Rolling into next year with McKinnon and Asiata is the complete opposite of providing depth at a position. I also feel like most everyone on here would be the first to jump down Spielmans throat when McKinnon gets hurt and we have to watch Asiata gain 3 yards a carry.

I'm not saying take a RB in the first but the 2nd and 3rd rounds are going to have very, very good RBs in them. Plus if we trade AP we will probably have at least an extra second this year which makes it much easier to now take a RB within rounds 2-3
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I agree that the Vikes should pick up a rb later on in the draft but if AD is gone, I think Assiata and Mckinnon are a formidable 1-2 punch.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Personally, I just can't see him being a legitimate workhorse. We don't even know if the guy can stay healthy. He hurt himself lifting weights for gods sake. I want a guy that can step in and pound the rock 25 times a game. Sorry but I just can't see McKinnon do that.
You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, but in light of everything we've just said, it kind of feels like you've arrived at a conclusion and you're unwilling to change your mind.

If the injury is the only reason you think that, then I can understand to a point, but I feel like with as dynamic as he was as a rookie we could gamble a bit and wait to draft a RB until round 4 or 5. But that's just my opinion, and it's no more probable than anyone else's.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

I'm not worried at all about the RB position. We'll likely have AP, with McKinnon as a change of pace back. If we don't have AP back, we'll likely have an extra draft pick or two, and can take a back to complement McKinnon in the 3rd. There is very little chance that our backfield next year consists of McKinnon and Asiata. That only happened last year because we got blindsided by the AP situation.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm not worried at all about the RB position. We'll likely have AP, with McKinnon as a change of pace back. If we don't have AP back, we'll likely have an extra draft pick or two, and can take a back to complement McKinnon in the 3rd. There is very little chance that our backfield next year consists of McKinnon and Asiata. That only happened last year because we got blindsided by the AP situation.
To be honest I think Slick Rick already has offers in place for A.P.

I agree it should give us a few extra picks... I'm really worried about our Offensive Line. IMO it is our biggest's
weakness, by far. We should know a lot more about our team and next season by Saturday night.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't think AP will be traded. Complex trades like this take time to hash out salary stuff etc. I don't see one getting done on draft day. We will have ap and the best running game in the nfl.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I really feel like this is going to happen like the Jared Allen trade happened in '08. Right before the draft somebody is going to budge and both parties are going to know exactly what they're working with come draft day.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

DK Sweets wrote:You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, but in light of everything we've just said, it kind of feels like you've arrived at a conclusion and you're unwilling to change your mind.

If the injury is the only reason you think that, then I can understand to a point, but I feel like with as dynamic as he was as a rookie we could gamble a bit and wait to draft a RB until round 4 or 5. But that's just my opinion, and it's no more probable than anyone else's.
I hear ya Dakota. It's just I want something more than McKinnon. This is too good of a RB class to just pass up on if we don't have AP. I'm not saying draft one in the first but the 2nd-3rd round is going to have plenty of gems in it IMO. Asiata should be getting nothing more than goal-line carries and some short yardage work. That's the max for him. That guy should not be seeing the ball at the 50 when it's 1st and 10. So I don't buy the 1-2 punch thing.

McKinnon needs to be paired with a guy that is elusive but can pound it as well. A guy like Jay Ajayi, Coleman, etc. Matt Asiata should be a non-factor next season. If he's gettkng legitimate carries then we did something seriously wrong. You need someone back there that can put fear into opposing defenses and take pressure off of Teddy.

It was so easy to blitz us last year because our line was terrible and we had no running game. Now with all of our line back healthy and we soon fill the LG spot, we need a workhorse RB out there (which I don't believe is McKinnon) and have McKinnon play a Chester Taylor type roll
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

If you're going to count two things as negatives about him, it's clearly his blocking and vision.

Both can improve with reps. Unless you're so good as a ball carrier that you don't get a lot of reps blocking. The vision part is probably a byproduct of having been a quarterback instead of running back. In an option scheme, you're going to run against a different look from h-back or quarterback and work different holes than an I formation back.

He'll be fine. Actually, I think he may have a longer career than Adrian will, even though AP is a physical freak of nature. He hasn't been taking quite the beating pre-NFL and with a lower center of balance, might do less damage long term to his knees...knock on wood.

Considering Spielman is stubbornly not addressing that guard position in free agency, and everyone seems to feel that Zimmer needs two first line physical corners to execute his offense to perfection, the chance of the Vikings drafting Todd Gurley (whom is the only player right now worth drafting at 11, including Melvin Gordon) would be pretty low. BUT, they drafted a top back (at the time) in the second when they had AP, so you never know. If they can't get a very high second rounder in an Adrian Peterson trade, they aren't going to be in a good spot to draft Gurley. Gordon would be an immediate improvement, but I'm not sold yet that down the line he'd be much better than McKinnon.
-Rus
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PHP, you were one of the biggest fans of McKinnon, when we picked him in rd. 3. Now you think he cant even run the ball on half of the plays? I still think he was a bad pick in the 3rd. round, but I cant be sure because he hasnt even played a year. I do know his size is perfect, and he has great speed. Put him behind a decent line, and we wont have to waste another pick on a RB in the first 3 rds. And Im not really fond of Asiata, but mainly because he doesnt put the fear of god in the opponents D. But he has a knack for scoring TDs. And I like the screen passes he gets.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jerick McKinnon has quick feet

https://instagram.com/p/4UKAaXp2Pd/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

And for fun.

Play Breakdown: Deuce Trips Right Tight 2 60 Press Force

http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-v ... force-r585