WR Mike Wallace traded to Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: WR Mike Wallace traded to Vikings

Post by HornedMessiah »

The Breeze wrote:I would not be surprised to see CP84 traded now.
For what, a 5th rounder maybe? Why not just swap him for Wallace with Miami? Sure CP was a first round pick but I doubt they can get much for him on the trade market right now. Might as well hang onto him for at least one more year, they invested quite a bit into him and it's not exactly a "sell high" situation. If he looks like garbage again next season, will he really lose that much value if there wasn't much value there to begin with?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

saint33 wrote:
I'm still not buying those rumors.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/832 ... -patterson

Everything Zimmer's said about Patterson suggests that they want to give him more time and that they're making an effort to help speed up the process of his development, including altering their approach to using him in the offense.

If anything I think this may suggest that Greg Jennings could be asked to restructure his deal, assuming that Wallace isn't. Otherwise Jennings could be gone. I don't see us paying two WRs as much as Jennings and Wallace make, especially considering the recent production out of the pair.
You may be right. I'd hate to see Jennings go at this point. He finally has a chance to do something here with Turner and TB.
I see issues with the salaries too. Not with the overall cap but the WR position. Still, they can wait and deal with it next year too.
I haven't given up on CP...but it just got even harder for him to get on the field in spite of his talent. I know they weren't shoppig him...but at least one team inquired....just wonder i his value goes up or down this year in that regard.
Even if he is stuck as the #4 or 5 guy..there's still kick returns for him... i guess.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero · 3m 3 minutes ago
One more thing I'm hearing on Mike Wallace traded to Minny: No, he's not thrilled by it.
I would have hoped that they learned this while they were on the phone for an hour with him.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Chances are Wallace has already agreed to alter his deal or I don't think we make that deal ... I think We dump either Patterson or Jennings
before the season....Wallace is more of a number one than anything we had ..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

jackal wrote:Chances are Wallace has already agreed to alter his deal or I don't think we make that deal ... I think We dump either Patterson or Jennings
before the season....Wallace is more of a number one than anything we had ..
I consider Wallace a complementary pieced. If he's the #1 the Vikings are in trouble. Charles Johnson is more of the do-it-all-type that fits the mold of a #1. He showed flashes last year, so it's natural that he steps up next season.
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

This was a good trade for the cost. We can absorb the cap hit this year. My only concern is giving up on patterson to early. Clearly he's being shipped or they are seriously considering it given that we have Charlie Johnson Jarius wright greg Jennings and now Wallace ahead of him on the depth chart.

I'm excited to see what teddy can do with a true number 1. And this frees us up to focus on defense or oline in the draft.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

kurtkeoki wrote: I would have hoped that they learned this while they were on the phone for an hour with him.
lol

Wondering if they are trying to get him to take a bit less then he thought.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

This may actually work out to be a good trade. It allows MN some leeway in the draft for the first few rounds. They really don't have worry about his contract until next year. Yes it's high, just under $10 million. But right now the Vikings are only on the hook for $3 million cap charge if they cut him after tomorrow. So it's a win win.

Cutting Jennings I think is out of the picture, $6 million in cap charge if they did. Save $5 million over all.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I like it.

Jennings
Wallace
Johnson
Patterson
Wright

That's pretty solid. It'd be great if Patterson makes some strides this year into being a legitimate receiver, but if he doesn't, we have Wallace now to fill that void. I still wish we had a WR over 6'3" for those endzone/deep throw jump balls so I hope we still grab a big WR in the draft who Teddy can trust and grow with. Johnson is young and showed a ton of promise last year so he could still turn into something special, too.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I consider Wallace a complementary pieced. If he's the #1 the Vikings are in trouble. Charles Johnson is more of the do-it-all-type that fits the mold of a #1. He showed flashes last year, so it's natural that he steps up next season.
Johnson has a better attitude and wider skill set, but struggled with breaking free from coverage at the end of the year...

If we have Peterson next year .. Wallace, Johnson and Rudolf should a field day...

Defenses needed to fill the whole box to slow him down... I wanted Peterson gone and made that clear.. it looks like
he is here to stay barring something really weird happening. As a Viking I will support him, but not as a person.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

We gave up a 5th, so it's not like we gave up much for him. I would think Miami could have gotten at least a 3rd, but hey :confused:

Don't see us drafting a wide receiver @ 11 and look for us to draft an OL or BPA on defense.

Would hate to see Patterson go; would expect him to be used more on returns(which he was an All-Pro KR/PR his rookie season) and hopefully some more Percy Harvin like plays where he gets a short pass and uses his speed. We will see...

Also, I expect us to trade with the Pats for their 1st in the draft :mrgreen:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 7m7 minutes ago
There have been no alterations to Mike Wallace's contract I'm told. Looks like that trade goes down as-is in terms of his contract
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Vikings

Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson's agent tells CBSSports's Jason La Canfora his client is not being shopped by the Vikings.

Long rumored to be on the trade block, the rumblings around Patterson have grown louder following the Vikings' acquisition of Mike Wallace. Patterson does not appear to be well liked by Minnesota's coaching staff, and he would not seem to have a role in the Vikings' re-shaped offense. Even if he sticks with Minnesota, Patterson's inability to run routes will limit his opportunities in OC Norv Turner's offense.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Thielen could be the odd man out now, unless the Vikings decide to part ways with Jennings.

Getting rid of Patterson would be monumentally stupid at this point. Too much natural talent. I don't know about the other coaches, but unless he's lying, Zimmer put Patterson on an off-season plan and is pleased with the results. Speaking of bad attitudes (and I don't think CP has one), what about Wallace? If Wallace had a hissy fit about being traded to Minnesota (as has been reported), that's not a good sign.

Jarious Wright is a very good 3rd WR. I believe he will stay.
Last edited by losperros on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

losperros wrote:Thielen could be the odd man out now, unless the Vikings decide to part ways with Jennings.

Getting rid of Patterson would be monumentally stupid at this point. Too much natural talent. Zimmer put Patterson on an off-season plan and is pleased with the results. Plus he likes Patterson's attitude, which may not be the same story for Mike Wallace, especially if Wallace has a hissy fit about being traded to Minnesota (as has been reported).

Jarious Wright is a very good 3rd WR. I believe he will stay.
Plus Patterson is on a 4 yr rookie contract and he can return kicks well regardless of how good of a WR he is.