Film Cut Ups - Vikings @ Saints

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Film Cut Ups - Vikings @ Saints

Post by frosted »

I have NFL Game Rewind this year, and as such, I have access to full TV broadcasts as well as coaches film for every NFL game. Since it is a little bit of work and sort of time consuming, I am not sure how much I will be able to cover, but I could post some cut ups of specific plays, if people are interested in that sort of thing. It gives you a much better look at why plays happened the way they did and how specific players are performing. Here's an example. This is the first offensive play from scrimmage on Sunday.

1st and 10 at MIN 20 (9:30) M.Asiata left tackle to MIN 22 for 2 yards (B.Bunkley; J.Galette).

The play was obviously designed to go through the '3' hole, between Kalil and Charlie Johnson. 8 men in the box for the Saints on this one, as they are in a 4-3, with the ROLB down on the line of scrimmage. Johnson did a good job on his down block, picking up the MLB, while Kalil was responsible for blocking the defensive end, and Felton was leading through the hole, a 'power' blocking scheme, which had him picking up Kenny Vaccaro, who was essentially an OLB on this play. Sully had a really tough assignment here, blocking the tackle, who did a good job disrupting this play. Kalil and Sully both got beat by their man. Fusco and Loadholt both did a great job on the backside of this play. Asiata didn't really have much of a chance - I don't believe AD would have hit that hole in time either, it closed up very quickly. There may have been a lane to cut back into off of Sullivan's right hip.

Guys, let me know if you have a specific play you'd like to see, and I will do what I can, time permitting.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Film Cut Ups - Vikings @ Saints

Post by dead_poet »

Thanks.

How about a post that helps Zimmer's case that 93% of Kalil's plays are positive. Particularly looking for a great play in pass defense. You may have to look for awhile to find. :evil:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for posting that, frosted21. I have NFL Game Rewind too so I'll be able to do some cut-ups this season too. You;re right, they're time-consuming but they're fun too!

Anyway, thanks for this one. I think your take on it was right on target.

I'll second dead–poet's request for a nice, positive Matt Kalil play. :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:Thanks.

How about a post that helps Zimmer's case that 93% of Kalil's plays are positive. Particularly looking for a great play in pass defense. You may have to look for awhile to find. :evil:

I love cut ups like this. Initially it looked like Felton was going to make the hole, and Asiata would have a nice 10 yard run or so.

edit: found Zimmers quote.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I found one - he shows a nasty steak here, even. Oddly enough, I didn't have to go far to find this one - 3rd play from scrimmage:

3rd and 8 at MIN 22 (8:46) (Shotgun) M.Cassel pass incomplete short right to K.Rudolph.

The nastiness is in the 2nd set of cut ups, from the top view - it looked BAD #### in real time, on film. He just decleated Gilette, it was like a giant shoving a dwarf, sadly, as we saw Sunday, that wasn't always the case.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote:Thanks for posting that, frosted21. I have NFL Game Rewind too so I'll be able to do some cut-ups this season too. You;re right, they're time-consuming but they're fun too!

Anyway, thanks for this one. I think your take on it was right on target.

I'll second dead–poet's request for a nice, positive Matt Kalil play. :)
No problem! They are fun, it compels me to analyze a bit more, which can reveal some stuff I normally wouldn't be aware of.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Thanks.

Related that you might want to take a look at on the first couple of drives:
@DarrenPage -- Big reason Saints marched down for 2 TD's right away, Vikings bad down the middle. Joseph and Brinkley victimized.
Worth noting Joseph walked off field today early with Sugarmiyagi. He's not 100%. Not sure what's up with Brinkley.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Related that you might want to take a look at on the first couple of drives:
Worth noting Joseph walked off field today early with Sugarmiyagi. He's not 100%. Not sure what's up with Brinkley.
Was the last part of your comment a joke? :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Was the last part of your comment a joke? :)
Joseph didn't practice today. That's no joke. It was reported he walked off to the trainer's room with Sugarman. I call him Sugarmiyagi after his work with Peterson. I'm sure he just rubs his hands together quickly and places them on whatever injury there is and it's healed.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote:No problem! They are fun, it compels me to analyze a bit more, which can reveal some stuff I normally wouldn't be aware of.
That's why I enjoy it too. Thanks for posting the second set of cut-ups. It's cool to see the way Kalil stuck with that play and really finished it!

Dead_poet, that's bad news regarding Joseph but I had a good laugh at "Sugarmiyagi"!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

1st and 10 at NO 30 (14:25) K.Robinson left end ran ob at NO 41 for 11 yards (R.Blanton).

No Brinkley on this play, but it was the very first run of the game, and it is a blocking clinic by the Saints, so I wanted to highlight this play. One thing I will note, the Vikings are in the Nickel, with only Barr and Greenway on the field for LBs, and the Saints are in a big set, with two tight ends.

Linval gets blocked handedly on this play, with the Saints perfectly executing a 'combo' block - the center and left guard both engage him, and as soon as he is controlled, the left guard scrapes off and executes a down block on Barr, who is slow to react to the play, and was taken completely out of it. On film, the combo block is flawless - great technique. Greenway and Griff both get sucked down inside, and taken out of the play by the left tackle and the tight end (not Graham, Watson?) and Khiry Robinson bounces it outside pretty easily. Meachem does a terrific job blocking on Captain in the slot, and Blanton ends up cleaning it up after an 11 yard gain.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

*sob* I remember when the Vikings blocked like that.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

frosted21 wrote:[

Meachem does a terrific job blocking on Captain in the slot,
This was a huge block on that play for the Saints, and a good example of how important blocking by receivers is.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
44crm
Backup

Post by 44crm »

I went back and watched the whole game and to be honest I see what Zimmer is saying with Matt Kalil, he honestly was good or great in pass coverage except for about 10 plays, Run blocking was a little harder to tell as I can't tell what his assignments are. but he actually does not look bad at all.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

44crm wrote:I went back and watched the whole game and to be honest I see what Zimmer is saying with Matt Kalil, he honestly was good or great in pass coverage except for about 10 plays, Run blocking was a little harder to tell as I can't tell what his assignments are. but he actually does not look bad at all.
I agree here as well. Kalil is still a solid LT. He makes his mistakes thats for sure. But overall, he's still a solid tackle to have on the blindside. I feel like everyone is expecting him to never allow a sack because he was picked 4th overall. Is he an all-world tackle? No. When he messes up, he messes up. But he is still good, there is no doubt about that. He's just not a "Joe Thomas" type OT. I'm really not worried when it comes to LT and I don't believe it is a need.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri