So, who's the man at RB now?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

So, who's the man at RB now?

Post by soflavike »

I sure wish we still had Toby, but we don't.

Can Asiata really carry the load or will McKinnon or Banyard emerge as the featured back... or are we going to see RB-by-Committee for the rest of the season?

What about trading for a better RB? Perhaps someone desperate for a QB might need Ponder?
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: So, who's the man at RB now?

Post by Mothman »

soflavike wrote:I sure wish we still had Toby, but we don't.

Can Asiata really carry the load or will McKinnon or Banyard emerge as the featured back... or are we going to see RB-by-Committee for the rest of the season?
I think we'll probably see a committee approach unless Peterson returns, with an early emphasis on Asiata because he's the most experienced player of the bunch (which isn't saying much).
What about trading for a better RB? Perhaps someone desperate for a QB might need Ponder?
It's possible they would do that but they've made an investment in the RBs they have so I think those players will get a shot before the Vikings would trade for an RB. I imagine all options are on the table.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

soflavike wrote:I sure wish we still had Toby, but we don't.

I agree about still wishing TG was here. He always did a good job filling in for AD. As far as a running back, I think the Vikes will cut all ties with AD and be looking to trade for or draft a back.
My bigger concern is to see if TB is the franchise QB that we all have been waiting for. If not then the Vikes will be needing to go after another QB (draft/trade). The sooner they find out the better. It is an absolute waste to be spinning their wheels with Cassel.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I think we'll probably see a committee approach unless Peterson returns, with an early emphasis on Asiata because he's the most experienced player of the bunch (which isn't saying much).
Yeah, it probably will be a RB-by-committee approach, unless one of the RBs really shows something special. I don't think Asiata is the answer, though he's proven that he can get into the end zone during goal line situations. Both McKinnon and Banyard showed speed and moves in college. Who knows? Maybe it will happen now for the Vikings.

Man, I'm concerned about this offense right now. How can even Norv Turner get much from Cassel at QB, the present RBs, and an inconsistent OL? Seems to me that both Jennilngs and Patterson need to step up big time. One cool thing about Patterson is that he can also add some horsepower to the running game, though I sure don't want to see him used more as a RB than a WR.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

After today's loss to the Saints, I ask the question again.... but, I don't think "the man" is currently on the roster.

Asiata: 12 for 35 yds.
McKinnon: 2 for –1 yds.

34 yds from our RB's is not gonna work.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

soflavike wrote:After today's loss to the Saints, I ask the question again.... but, I don't think "the man" is currently on the roster.
Certainly not a guy you can build an offense around but we'll see how they adapt. It's likely going to take a number of players stepping up to fill the role and not just RBs. Guys like Wright, Thielen, maybe even Gray need to start getting involved.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

RB is a HUGE need now
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Banyard needs to start, kid has some wheels. Asiata doesn't know how to run to be honest. Doesn't scare anybody
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

What if the Vikings just forget about RB for a while and try more intermediate and deep passing attempts? Sure, run to keep the defense honest and maybe throw in a little Patterson to knock them off balance, but why not try testing defenses a bit more through the air?

I'm of the opinion that RB is only a huge need because the Vikings make it one. Shift the offensive philosophy a bit and it isn't nearly as huge a need. Get in line with what the rest of the offenses in the NFL are doing at RB. Give Bridgewater a chance to show what he can do and, if nothing else, learn from his mistakes so he can do it better next year when he will likely be the de facto starting QB for this team.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

VikingLord wrote: I'm of the opinion that RB is only a huge need because the Vikings make it one. Shift the offensive philosophy a bit and it isn't nearly as huge a need. Get in line with what the rest of the offenses in the NFL are doing at RB. Give Bridgewater a chance to show what he can do and, if nothing else, learn from his mistakes so he can do it better next year when he will likely be the de facto starting QB for this team.
I like this idea. Asiata can get you 2 if you need it. Let's use him for that and a checkdown when it's needed. Stop trying to force the run on the early downs.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Crax wrote: I like this idea. Asiata can get you 2 if you need it. Let's use him for that and a checkdown when it's needed. Stop trying to force the run on the early downs.
I would like to see Patterson in the backfield more than what he was today, and I think McKinnon isn't an up-the-middle guy, he is more of an on-the-edge guy. Play to their strengths for God's sake. This offense feels way too much like Childress 2.0 and Musgrave 2.0.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Guess drafting Gerhart was not so out there, huh?

:gone:

Seriously, though, do we have an RB that can make things happen after the catch? I would hope McKinnon might be that guy, but seeing as Asiata is still getting the start, that seems like a pipe dream.
Last edited by BGM on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:Maybe Jacksonville will loan us Gerhart?

His value to the team the last few years should certainly be more apparent now.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

BGM wrote:Guess drafting Gerhart was not so out there, huh?

Seriously, though, do we have an RB that can make things happen after the catch? I would hope McKinnon might be that guy, but seeing as Asiata is still getting the start, that seems like a pipe dream.
It wasn't that Gerhardt was merely *drafted* - it was that they traded up to draft him.

Going further, do you really think Gerhardt could replace AD's contribution if he were still with the team? Do you think that would make the difference?
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I think he would be a better option than any player we have now. But then, I was always a fan of Toby, so I am biased. Would he see success in Norv Turner's scheme? I truly don't know. Said it primarily as a little nudge, but truthfully, I would be happier with Toby back there. He does not seem to be making much difference in Jacksonville, admittedly.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa