SI Article about shutdown / me

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

glg
Site Admin

SI Article about shutdown / me

Post by glg »

I figure it's better if I post this myself than have someone else find it first.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/18/minnes ... e-football

Please know that I did not in any way do the shutdown or the message in order to generate publicity for myself. What's in the article about my reluctance to talk with him is true. That aside, I think the end result is a pretty accurate picture of what's happened with me. I also can't deny that it's quite flattering to be written about by a writer as good as George.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: SI Article about shutdown / me

Post by chicagopurple »

Wow!...our little Purple Party made the national spotlight! Pretty sad that it took this instead of a super bowl victory.....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Overall, it's a good,well-written article that asks some important questions and gives us a better picture of how you felt/feel, Geoff.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm still not happy with what you did...and I think it's fitting that much in the same way Adrian will be remembered more for these accusations than his on-field triumphs, you will be remembered not for the great administrator that you were, but as the guy who almost killed our board. But the article does humanize your decision, and it's easier to forgive you and appreciate the work you did to help Cliff fix things.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I thought that article was well-written.

Geoff,

I wish you nothing but the best as you move forward in your life. I was more surprised at your decision to shut the board down than I was angry. In the end, it was never my call, so I have no right to fault you for doing what you did.

All is well now. The board is back and so is our community. I feel as though I speak for most when I say that you will always be welcomed here if your views on football change.

- Justin (HardcoreVikesFan)
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

That was a good read. It outlines the problems that I wrestle with myself. Though I did feel displaced when the board went away, I understood why you did what you did. I'm glad you came to realize the community is more than just about football.

I'm not sure what my future holds as far as how I feel about this sport and the people who play it/run it. Right now I'm still following things and watching games. It's definitely a hard time to be a football fan.

It also explains what I already knew; it wasn't your intention to get this much spotlight on the matter or make it seem as if the community as a whole made the decision. It's good to get that out there.

I understand your decision, Geoff. I hope you stay in touch.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

It's a good read, Geoff. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of in any possible way.

I fully understand your sentiments and why you did what you did.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Geoff. Thanks for posting that. I can at least appreciate and understand what got you to the point of pulling the plug. We all make rash decisions that we probably wouldn't make again if we had the choice to go back and have a do-over.

You'll have no hard feelings from me! Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and thanks for helping me take an honest look at how I feel about this game.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Ohhh the times, they are a changin'

Perhaps community is the most important thing of all.

I don't think the NFL is a legit community....maybe more a mirror for the carnal entanglements of our culture. It is a highly specific, in your face, paradoxical b!tchslap revealing the all-consuming nature of the roots, of reaping what you sow.

The quantum deprivation of men in "power" dressed in the guise of a billion dollar "non-profit" entity for the whole world to see. It works endlessly to make sure as many people as possible are watching and paying for the education it delivers. Udder madnes. (I know how to spell it)

Finally some heads are being pulled out of the sand....maybe.

Great communites begin when old men plant trees they know they will never sit in the shade of.

Anyway Geoff, I applaud the way you've embraced your sensitivity even if some out there consider it meek.

Hail the mighty meek?
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

glg wrote:I figure it's better if I post this myself than have someone else find it first.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/18/minnes ... e-football

Please know that I did not in any way do the shutdown or the message in order to generate publicity for myself. What's in the article about my reluctance to talk with him is true. That aside, I think the end result is a pretty accurate picture of what's happened with me. I also can't deny that it's quite flattering to be written about by a writer as good as George.

Well if anyone knows about the "I'm shutting my site down, oops that was a mistake" situation, it's me. Welcome aboard Geoff, it's been lonely in this room. :wink:

Seriously Geoff, the article was great and thanks for all you have done over the years and for your friendship. Hope you still stay in contact.
Mike

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

It's funny, but I just took it for granted that this board would always be here. I never gave it a second thought that it might not, and in some ways Geoff pulling the plug on it reminded me of how fragile things can be. There are no givens, no certainties, and along that line, often little appreciation for the sacrifices others make on our behalves. We only realize that when the thing we take for granted is no longer there, and only then do we pause to think about the effort and sacrifice that it took to give us that thing we didn't take a second to think about.

Geoff, you deserve a lot of credit for making this site what it was over the years. I know you only as GLG and the site admin, but hopefully you'll continue to post here at least on occasion and, as far as I'm concerned, your action was not only a statement that should send a message to the NFL, but also to those of us who value having a place like this to come and discuss the Vikings. I, for one, won't take it for granted again.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote:It's funny, but I just took it for granted that this board would always be here. I never gave it a second thought that it might not, and in some ways Geoff pulling the plug on it reminded me of how fragile things can be. There are no givens, no certainties, and along that line, often little appreciation for the sacrifices others make on our behalves. We only realize that when the thing we take for granted is no longer there, and only then do we pause to think about the effort and sacrifice that it took to give us that thing we didn't take a second to think about.

Geoff, you deserve a lot of credit for making this site what it was over the years. I know you only as GLG and the site admin, but hopefully you'll continue to post here at least on occasion and, as far as I'm concerned, your action was not only a statement that should send a message to the NFL, but also to those of us who value having a place like this to come and discuss the Vikings. I, for one, won't take it for granted again.

Nice post.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote:
Nice post.

I liked Breeze's observations up thread too.

The reasons I was missing this community are evident in this thread.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

VikingLord wrote:It's funny, but I just took it for granted that this board would always be here. I never gave it a second thought that it might not, and in some ways Geoff pulling the plug on it reminded me of how fragile things can be. There are no givens, no certainties, and along that line, often little appreciation for the sacrifices others make on our behalves. We only realize that when the thing we take for granted is no longer there, and only then do we pause to think about the effort and sacrifice that it took to give us that thing we didn't take a second to think about.

Excellent post. I'm far from the most active poster over the last several years, but I faithfully lurk everyday here keeping tabs on the conversation, looking for the place where I think I have something to add. I was at work when the news of them reactivating him broke, and had been checking in on things when I saw that blank white screen. Some might think I'm horrible for saying this, but it's true, I was more sad at the thought of this place being gone than I was about the impending S@#tstorm that I knew the Vikes had (rightfully)just opened themselves to.

To Geoff: I don't blame you for what happened, I know from your retirement post you were starting to move on. I understand the turmoil you've been experiencing over Football and the Vike's actions. As a Lifelong WWF/WWE fan I've seen tragic story after tragic story drag the ugly reality of the business into the limelight. Each instance would leave me shocked and wondering if I was bad because I still love it. Even after knowing the awful bleak future many of these people were setting themselves up for, I couldn't help but be entertained by the action.

Eventually I realized I'm just a fan. These guys do what they do willingly. Along the path they chose they had the ability to shift gears and move on at anytime. I understand things were hidden or just turned a blind eye to in the rush for profit, but even those old guys had to have moments where they had to think this can't be right or good for me.

I don't have any sage words that can help you or any others who are feeling the same way how to deal with these feelings. In truth I don't think there are any. Everyone is different. I guess I've just become conditioned to the reality myself, able to Compartmentalize the good from the bad. Maybe I'm the sucker the NFL makes it's money from, maybe I have A.D.D and am easily distracted by shiny objects... I don't know why, I just know I can't stop loving the Vikings and Football. I admire your ability and willingness to take stand and cut it out because of these strong feelings you've developed. Maybe I'll get there one day, maybe one day I'll be the old guy with the white beard 30 years from now talking about how the players were so much better in my day. Maybe I just found a really long way of saying "I don't know".
Last edited by nightowl on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Southsider1979
Waterboy

Post by Southsider1979 »

It was a selfish move shutting down the site. Glad it's back and hopefully here to stay. SKOL VIKINGS! :v):