Greenway has a broken hand

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Greenway has a broken hand

Post by Mothman »

More good news for the Vikings!
Chad Greenway broke his left hand in Sunday’s 30-7 loss against the Patriots, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Wednesday.

The veteran linebacker, who wore a splint around the hand, was one of three players who did not participate in practice. Right tackle Phil Loadholt (ankle) and defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (shoulder) also were held out.

“It just started to really bother me swelling up, and something happened in the game,” Greenway said.
Zimmer says they're not sure to what extent the injury will effect Greenway. It's not clear if he will play against the Saints on Sunday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 43331.html
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Greenway has a broken hand

Post by DK Sweets »

Wait, dude broke his hand in the first quarter and played the rest of the game? What a boss.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

he will probably be sporting the club hand sort of like Clay Matthews did a couple seasons ago. Not to uncommon for DB's and LB's since they just need to tackle and swat the ball around.
Purple Pride till the end.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

It's just a flesh wound! Come back here and fight, you coward!...............
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

I think we see a changing of the guard this week as Hodges takes over for Greenway at WLB. Hodges has been great and needs to be on the field more. Greenway will be a salary cap casualty at the end of the year as we continue to get rid of aging players with big contracts so it is better to get Hodges as much experience this year. Sucks we had to say goodbye the last couple years to Hutch, Winfield, KWill, and Jared Allen for salary cap reasons and now probably Adrian Peterson and Greenway at the end of this year.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Beo wrote:I think we see a changing of the guard this week as Hodges takes over for Greenway at WLB. Hodges has been great and needs to be on the field more. Greenway will be a salary cap casualty at the end of the year as we continue to get rid of aging players with big contracts so it is better to get Hodges as much experience this year. Sucks we had to say goodbye the last couple years to Hutch, Winfield, KWill, and Jared Allen for salary cap reasons and now probably Adrian Peterson and Greenway at the end of this year.
Boy, it's going to be different without all those guys.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Kinda bummed. Kinda not. I'm really excited to see what Hodges can do. He's looked really well in the few times I've seen him out there.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Kinda bummed. Kinda not. I'm really excited to see what Hodges can do. He's looked really well in the few times I've seen him out there.
I like Hodges alot and as much as I like/respect Greenway it is obvious to me that he doesnt fit into the younger attacking Defense Zimmer wants to run. Getting rid of Peterson and Greenway's contracts next year saves us alot of money to sign some free agents to help our secondary and maybe another weapon or 2 for Teddy.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Boy, it's going to be different without all those guys.
Yeah we as Vikings fans have said goodbye to alot of stars in the past but this last couple years with the guys I mentioned above and the impending release of Greenway and Peterson hurts alot. For me it is probably because the stars that have been cut the past couple of years were in my mind cheated out of a Super Bowl appearance the 2009 season.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Beo wrote: I like Hodges alot and as much as I like/respect Greenway it is obvious to me that he doesnt fit into the younger attacking Defense Zimmer wants to run. Getting rid of Peterson and Greenway's contracts next year saves us alot of money to sign some free agents to help our secondary and maybe another weapon or 2 for Teddy.
ADDRESS THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!! OFFENSIVE LINE!!! PLEASE!!!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

fiestavike wrote: ADDRESS THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!! OFFENSIVE LINE!!! PLEASE!!!
I agree with you! Was looking at a couple sites about unrestricted free agents for next year and the Offensive line free agents looked a bit weak. Looked like a bunch of 30+ year old OT's like Michael Roos. Mike Iupati was a G who I would have some interest in. He is 25/26ish and has played pretty well for the 49ers.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Per ProFootballTalk, Greenway has been ruled out for Sunday. It's now or never for Gerald Hodges. I am excited to see what the young guy has got.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Beo wrote:
I agree with you! Was looking at a couple sites about unrestricted free agents for next year and the Offensive line free agents looked a bit weak. Looked like a bunch of 30+ year old OT's like Michael Roos. Mike Iupati was a G who I would have some interest in. He is 25/26ish and has played pretty well for the 49ers.
If we picked up Iupati, our O-line could be really good. I would trade our current tandem of Greenway/Charlie Johnson for Gerald Hodges/Iupati very quickly, even though I like Greenway quite a bit.

He's awesome as a human, but I feel like he's always been a bit overrated as a linebacker.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

DKSweets wrote:If we picked up Iupati, our O-line could be really good. I would trade our current tandem of Greenway/Charlie Johnson for Gerald Hodges/Iupati very quickly, even though I like Greenway quite a bit.

He's awesome as a human, but I feel like he's always been a bit overrated as a linebacker.
We may disagree on Kalil but I agree with you 100% on this one. Hodges and Iupati would both be upgrades.