Xavier Rhodes: May not be that good?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Xavier Rhodes: May not be that good?

Post by DK Sweets »

I really think Robinson has turned a corner. The guy is still young (like the rest of our team) but seems to always be right there, even if he doesn't make the play...which he's been doing a lot more of lately. Can you imagine how long our defense can be good if Everson Griffen, Sharrif Floyd, Anthony Barr, Gerald Hodges, Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Josh Robinson all keep growing?
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

DKSweets wrote:I really think Robinson has turned a corner. The guy is still young (like the rest of our team) but seems to always be right there, even if he doesn't make the play...which he's been doing a lot more of lately. Can you imagine how long our defense can be good if Everson Griffen, Sharrif Floyd, Anthony Barr, Gerald Hodges, Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Josh Robinson all keep growing?
Linval's not that old either
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Xavier Rhodes, CB: +3.8

Breakdown: After a rough outing in his last two games, bounced back in this one to get his hands on four balls for pass defenses, making nice recoveries on two of them after being beaten initially (and maybe benefitting from slightly poor throws). Also picked up a stop in run defense with a tackle for loss.

Signature Play: 3Q, 0:25. One-on-one with Julio Jones downfield, Rhodes contested and prevented the completion.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... gs-week-4/
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

DKSweets wrote:I really think Robinson has turned a corner. The guy is still young (like the rest of our team) but seems to always be right there, even if he doesn't make the play...which he's been doing a lot more of lately. Can you imagine how long our defense can be good if Everson Griffen, Sharrif Floyd, Anthony Barr, Gerald Hodges, Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Josh Robinson all keep growing?
Keep in mind that Robinson is the fastest player on the team and one of the fastest in the entire league. Let's hope that he continues to improve.
It's a shame that Cook could not have stuck around and we could have seen what he could do with good coaching (he certainly had the size and all of the right tools).
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Purple bruise wrote: Keep in mind that Robinson is the fastest player on the team and one of the fastest in the entire league. Let's hope that he continues to improve.
It's a shame that Cook could not have stuck around and we could have seen what he could do with good coaching (he certainly had the size and all of the right tools).
Robinson looked promising after year 1. that's part of what made a disastrous year 2 so frustrating as a fan.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Floyd has shown flashes but way too inconsistent. He really needs to start showing up in force.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

On another message board a fan familiar with Cincinnati in essence said that Zimmer would make the CB's play like all pros in a short time. It might happen.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Mothman wrote:
I didn't think he had a very good game but I'm not too worried about him. Corner is one of the tougher positions in the NFL to master. It can take several years and he's just beginning his second season. I expect more growing pains this year but I think he'll continue to flash playmaking ability as well.

That's about it, Rhodes will be just fine and he had a good game on Sunday against a good WR core.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Linval's not that old either
Joseph is younger than Griffen.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Rhodes chose a good day to have his best game as a pro. Hats off to him against one of the toughest QB/WR combinations in the league. He still toes the line with his physicality, but I think even if you're going to be penalized for it occasionally, it's the way you have to play.
Yeah it's getting harder and harder for a physical corner to play in this league but I think it's really the only way he'll be successful. I think as long as he doesn't grab, which he has a tendency to do, the refs might let some of it go. Maybe he needs boxing mits put on his hands in practice (forget which coach did that). I do like that he gets his head around and looks for the football the majority of the time.
Also (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Josh Robinson has surprised me this season so far. Likely a combination of scheme, returning to the outside and Zimmer's tutelage, but so far it's a big turnaround from one of the biggest disappointments last season. If Robinson can truly turn it around, it will make drafting a corner in 2015 go from a high priority to a moderate one.
Robinson certainly looked more in position and contested several passes. He still lacks consistency though. He gave up a wide open touchdown due to miscommunication with Munnerlyn (hard to say who was in the wrong there) and he also whiffed on Smith's TD run. Just two plays but they cost 14 points.
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

S197 wrote:Maybe [Rhodes] needs boxing mits put on his hands in practice (forget which coach did that).
It was Mike Pettine.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Dude Xavier is one of the only CBs in the league right now to not allow ONE SINGLE TD

That is more than a lot of people can say, including anyone on our team.

Xavier can grow to be one of the greats in this league....
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Dude Xavier is one of the only CBs in the league right now to not allow ONE SINGLE TD

That is more than a lot of people can say, including anyone on our team.

Xavier can grow to be one of the greats in this league....
Nice stat, I hadn't realized that.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Rieux wrote: It was Mike Pettine.
Has it made a difference?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018