Patriots @ Vikings Predictions (Week 2)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who will win the week 2 match up between the Vikings and Patriots?

Vikings
64%
Patriots
36%

Total votes: 47

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Coming off a huge win on the road for the Vikings and an upset loss for the Patriots who will win this week two match up? Looking at the recent series histories and recent performances of the teams one would think that the Patriots would run away with this game. But, this isn't the same Vikings team that we have seen the past few years. The defense is much improved, causing pressure, forcing turn overs, and not missing tackles.

The Patriots looked slow and sloppy last week. Tom Brady looked like a run of the mil quarterback when he was put under pressure. Their defense wasn't able to stop or even contain an average running back. And they looked like a slightly below average team.

However, the Patriots have not started the year off 0-2 since 2001. Further, since 2000 the patriots have only been on a losing streak (losing 2 or more games in a row) 10 times*. Historically, Tom Brady bounces back from a loss and steps up his level of play.

This game could be a tough match up for the Vikings. But I think that having a strong running game and taking care of the ball on offense will be the key. If the defense can step up early and force a few 3 and outs letting the offense put together some long slow drives the Vikings could end up pulling out a win here. If the Patriots jump out to an early lead, I'm not convinced that Matt is suited to put together a come back. With that said, I believe the Vikings will win this game in a low scoring match up. Vikings win 13-6.

*that is not including a loss at the end of the season followed by a loss in the first round of playoffs.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Patriots @ Vikings Predictions (Week 2)

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I'm feeling a drop in sacks for our D, and possibly one INT.

I'm also feeling a huge game from AD and Rudy.

And whoever Rob Ninkovich is covering...is a MAJOR matchup issue...

Vike's special teams puts us in good field position all day.

Vereen, Ridley, Bolden combine for under 80 yds rushing.

Vikings 27
Patriots 23
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

34-31 Vikings, I think it's going to be a shootout. This is going to be a TOUGH game, you know Belichick and the Patriots will be out for blood after that loss to Miami.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
tleiviska
Practice Squad

Post by tleiviska »

I'm going bold (and possibly over optimistic) I think Zimmer blows Belichick's mind with his defensive game plan, and AD getting started early opens up deep strikes in the passing game. I see more sacks than Miami got (4).

Vikes 27 - NE 13
SKOL VIKINGS
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

I am happy and confident of the direction this team is headed, but the Patriots do not lose two in a row. I am not going to get too cocky about our chances this weekend. Hopefully Zimmer will show that he has Bellichecks number. Cautiously optimistic
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I feel cautiously optimistic. Zimmer and Norv both produced solid units against the Patriots last year, and this team (especially Zimmer) is going to want to win the home opener and grab people's attention.

Vikings 31
Patriots 23
ATL_Viking
Backup

Post by ATL_Viking »

I'll go 20-16 Vikings. I have a little voice in my head saying "you're crazy, you're drinking the koolaid", but that's what I'm going with.

I think AP gets off against a Pats D that had trouble stopping the run, and Cassel makes enough throws to put together some scoring drives (2 TDs, 4 FGs). I think Zimmer's D keeps Brady uncomfortable in the pocket all day with some creative pressure, but doesn't gift him with any short fields and easy points. They put together a few drives, but not enough. Really, I see it going a lot like the Miami game went for the Pats.

Edit: 26-16. Typo corrected, a-holes

edit again, post AP story: pats 16-9
Last edited by ATL_Viking on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

ATL_Viking wrote:I'll go 20-16 Vikings

(2 TDs, 4 FGs)
I stopped taking math classes as soon as I could, too. ;)
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I could care less about New England not starting a season 0-2 since 2001. There's a first time for everything, and they are ripe for the picking.

Mike Zimmer can hold this offense down to a respectable level. His defense in Cincinnati held the Patriots to 6 points and 248 total yards a year ago. The Pats didn't have Gronk, but that's still a pretty darned good defensive effort. The Vikings don't quite have Cincy's personnel, so the Brady Bunch will score more than 6, but I'm going to hold the line at 20.

Meanwhile, Norv continues to open the playbook on offense, and the Vikings get Peterson over 100 yards. All in all, we get a happy home opener (unlike last year).

Vikings 31
Patriots 20
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

DKSweets wrote:I stopped taking math classes as soon as I could, too. ;)
Come on, its not their fault. They went to school in Georgia.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I feel really good about this one. For some reason I think we win 30-24.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Only 1 of 9 experts at CBS picked the Vikings to win. Only two picked them against the spread (which is MIN +3.5).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/w ... aight-up/2
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Actually, I see this game as basically the equivalent of Vikings vs 49ers, week 2 in 2012. Coming in as heavy underdogs, but end up dominating the game. Hopefully it happens again.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
tleiviska
Practice Squad

Post by tleiviska »

Mothman wrote:Only 1 of 9 experts at CBS picked the Vikings to win. Only two picked them against the spread (which is MIN +3.5).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/w ... aight-up/2
But...the one that picked us to win was 12-4 last week!
SKOL VIKINGS
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

tleiviska wrote: But...the one that picked us to win was 12-4 last week!
That's a good sign!