Anthony Barr

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Anthony Barr

Post by frosted »

What were your impressions of the man-child today? I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable he looked playing in space, and about jumped out of my living room fist pumping on a few occasions, seeing him make the 'right' play.. I was not expecting him to be as ready for the job so soon, and next week will be another big test, but so far, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Re: Anthony Barr

Post by thatguy »

He seemed to be in on several big tackles today. Kid looks like he could be the real deal with some more experience down the road...while nothing is definite, he started well today!
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

thatguy wrote:He seemed to be in on several big tackles today. Kid looks like he could be the real deal with some more experience down the road...while nothing is definite, he started well today!
His closing speed and acceleration were definitely on display this afternoon. He's the best athlete we've had on defense in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:Favorite Barr play:

Beast. Let's hope there's more of that coming.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

808vikingsfan wrote:Favorite Barr play:

Nice screen shots. When viewing the replay on Sunday I thought Barr was lucky they didn't flag him on that play. Technically if you pile drive the QB in to the ground that constitutes roughing the passer. Lots of defenders will turn their body one way or the other when bring the QB down to avoid this.

Barr played 59 of the 67 snaps on defense. That's a lot more than I thought he would get for our first game especially since he missed alot of the OTAs due to that questionable rule about not being able to join the team with school in session. Obviously he's picked up the system fast and coaches had confidence in him.

While it's only one game it's hard not to get excited about his future. Very unique skill set. Not many guys can be a force rushing the passer and also be effective in pass coverage. I was actually more impressed with his pass coverage yesterday. He'll almost certainly have some growing pains this year with mistakes (hope people will cut him some slack when that happens). He looks like he could be a real force for the Vikings D for many years to come.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Freak of nature Barr has been impressive but still is polishing game

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Frea ... game091114
The exciting part for Vikings fans, though, is that there's still room to grow.

"I think he can start to learn the game more and recognizing formations, and what offenses are doing," Adam Zimmer said. "I think he can learn more on how to attack rushers, offensive linemen when he's rushing, it's all new to him. He's only been rushing for two years."

Ask enough veterans on the Vikings about Barr and a common refrain emerges: He's wildly talented; and he needs some polish.

"I think he did pretty well," defensive end Brian Robison said of Barr's debut. "I think he still has a long way to go, obviously still being a rookie. He has to get a good feel for the NFL and the different things he has to do, but I think he has a bright future in this league, I really do."

Fellow defensive end Everson Griffen went even further.

"Anthony Barr, he's a freak of nature. He's going to be a great [strongside]linebacker," Griffen said. "He's a great pass rusher. He's young and like everybody else he's got to clean up the mistakes."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingFan50
Starter

Post by VikingFan50 »

Pseudo Everything wrote: When viewing the replay on Sunday I thought Barr was lucky they didn't flag him on that play. Technically if you pile drive the QB in to the ground that constitutes roughing the passer. Lots of defenders will turn their body one way or the other when bring the QB down to avoid this.
If we're being technical though, a Pile-drive is when the Player is lifted up off the ground and immediately slammed back down onto the turf. Barr only used form tackling the entire way and never actually tried to lift and slam. Rough tackling can sometimes be called for Unnescessary Roughness but thankfully they're keeping the 'smashmouth' in Football still.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it.
John F. Kennedy
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

His speed and strength are awesome. I expect some big time hits. I would also love to put him on whoever the DB was that tried to take out AD's knees.