Do We Have A Good Chance Against Patriots At Home?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Do We Have A Good Chance Against Patriots At Home?

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The Patriots have surrendered nearly 200 rushing yards to the Dolphins, including over 134 rushing yards to Knowshawn Moreno, a former Patriot.
Adrian Peterson could have a big game against them after the flat start.
Obviously, a Tom Brady attack is much more daunting than Shaun Hill and Austin Davis, but the defense and special teams played great today.
We also seem to be much better coached as well.
Before I had written this one off as a blowout loss but now it is starting to look winnable! I think it should at least be competitive.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: Do We Have A Good Chance Against Patriots At Home?

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Also, they have no running back! Name their starting 2 running backs...

EXACTLY!

Shane "Who" Vereen, Julian "Who" Edelman, Stevan "Who" Ridley and Brandon "Who" Bolden
all had 18 rush attempts combined for under 80 yards. They're all interchangeable mediocrities.
Last edited by Hunter Morrow on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

If we play like today every game is winnable. The coaching was great, the game plan was solid, the talent shined. If we still had Frazier and Musgrave the D would have made their backups look like hall of famers and when they fully committed to stopping Adrian Peterson that would have been the end of our offense.

BUT NOT ANY MORE! With Zimmer and Turner we have the solutions, while Patterson would have been on the bench in Musgrave's offense he lights it up when Turner let's him shine. While Frazier would have forced Josh Robinson into the slot and nearly destroys his career, he gets an interception and looks like a stud when zimmer puts him in a spot he can actually succeed at.

So again, not saying we WILL WIN, but every game is definitely winnable with this coaching staff and talent.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

It would be a huge win for us, and yes I do think we have a pretty good chance this year.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mondry wrote:If we play like today every game is winnable. The coaching was great, the game plan was solid, the talent shined. If we still had Frazier and Musgrave the D would have made their backups look like hall of famers and when they fully committed to stopping Adrian Peterson that would have been the end of our offense.

BUT NOT ANY MORE! With Zimmer and Turner we have the solutions, while Patterson would have been on the bench in Musgrave's offense he lights it up when Turner let's him shine. While Frazier would have forced Josh Robinson into the slot and nearly destroys his career, he gets an interception and looks like a stud when zimmer puts him in a spot he can actually succeed at.

So again, not saying we WILL WIN, but every game is definitely winnable with this coaching staff and talent.
All that, but I'm saying...we WILL WIN. :D
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

here is the thing and this might sound cliche, but look at the pre season too. zimmer has 5 straight wins. someone said they hope today wasn't a fluke, but my question is thus far nothing zimmer has done would appear to be a fluke. now, if we go up against better or more talented teams that is a different story. i think i speak for most of us when i say its still to early to tell anything, but i think we can really surprise some teams. no one is expecting us to do anything and today we had 5 sacks and 2 pics on defense. granted, the rams aren't the greatest show on turf anymore, but we shut them down like we should. i'm calling a win next week.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Beating the pats would AWESOME and would really help us going into the Saints for week 3. If we get wins in these next two weeks maybe, maybe we get a little bit of coverage on the NFL Peyton Brady Channel :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ATL_Viking
Backup

Post by ATL_Viking »

We certainly have a chance, but Brady isn't a journeyman backup or a snow-white rookie 3rd stringer. He won't be as confused or flustered by blitz packages. We'll need to be able to run effectively, but my guess will be that Belichik will try to take that away and make Cassel beat him thru the air. Could happen, sure, but advantage to the Pats.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

acousticrock wrote:If we wanted a chance to beat the Patriots, we should have been rooting for them to win today. I'm too lazy to look it up, but they have a RIDICULOUS winning record after a loss.

Bill Simmons recently wrote about and was also too lazy to look it up, but he summed it up with:

"We have a 13-year Belichick-Brady track record at this point. In the situation I just described, they are 97,567-2 against the spread (all numbers approximate)."

Still hope the Vikes win but with the Pats losing today, we gotta hope we are really good or the Patriots are losing the steam they've held onto for over a decade.
Records like that are always eventually broken.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I think the pats actually lost back-to-back for the first time in around a decade last year. I could be wrong though, that record could still be intact. Which will make our victory that much more gratifying!
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

Who knows? Maybe this is the year the wheels finally fall off for Brady. He sure looked mediocre in Miami.
MatteoSpace
Practice Squad

Post by MatteoSpace »

Sorry for my english, i'm trying to learn it
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

I think we have the potential to blow out the Patriots to be honest, at home at least.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Adrianpeterson28mvp wrote: Regarding your op, Knowshon Moreno is a former Bronco, not Patriot. Edelman is a WR who put up 95 yards today, not a RB...Also Vereen isn't a nobody, he's one of the best pass catching RBs in the league, ya know the ones that have given the Vikngs trouble for years?
I was wrong a lot and don't know dick about football. Who gives a toss?

VIKINGS BY 10 NEXT WEEK!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think we can. A home game, with the way our D played? Yep. And theres no homerism there. Going to be interesting to hear what the expert predict about this one.