Vikings @ Rams Week 1 Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who will win week one?

Vikings
92%
Rams
8%

Total votes: 50

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings @ Rams Week 1 Predictions

Post by akvikingsfan »

It's already Thursday and I didn't see a prediction thread. Which seemed rather odd to me. Typically over the years one popped up every week by Tuesday or so. Since I didn't see one figured I'd start it. And I figured I'd do it a little different with a poll added on to make it easier to see what people think.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever predicted the Vikings to lose. And this is another game like that. I see our new offense coming out firing on all cylinders, AD being well AD, and Cassel connecting with Patterson. Our defense will do enough to keep us from losing and in the end I think the final score will be 24-20 Vikings.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings @ Rams Week 1 Predictions

Post by Just Me »

Vikings win a close one: 24-20. I will be at the opener in St. Louis, so if we win, I claim responsibility! Go Vikes! :smilevike:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
VikingsBoss
Practice Squad

Post by VikingsBoss »

Don't see many points being scored in this one. The Rams offense figured to be pretty anemic with Sam Bradford, and while Shaun Hill isn't a huge step down, he is a step-down. I don't have much fear of a Zac Stacy-led Rams rushing attack, either. The threat of Tavon Austin breaking a big-play on the edge is always there, but I think Linval Joseph's presence will make a huge upgrade in our up-the-middle run defense.
The Ram's defensive front is outstanding though, even without Michael Sam. Chris Long, Robert Quinn and Michael Brockers, throw in the rookie Aaron Donald. It could be tough sledding inside for AP, but he'll hit on a few big plays. So, I think Matt Cassel and the passing game will have to convert some third downs and keep the Rams D honest. With Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson and Kyle Rudolph, he shouldn't have too much trouble, if the OL can keep him up right.
Special teams is pretty much a wash, in that either team could hit on a huge play at any instance. Greg Zeurlien and Blair Walsh shouldn't have any issues inside the dome, so I don't think a missed field goal should factor big...
All told, a grind-it-out affair with the Vikings toughing out a 20-17 win.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I wouldn't be surprised necessarily if we lost on the road, but I'm looking for a win here. 24 - 16.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here are some interesting things I've learned about the Rams' defense.

All we hear is how great the Ram D-line is, and there's no doubt -- they're very talented. But are they truly a great defense?

The Rams finished 19th in the league in pass defense in 2013. They were worst in the league in yards-per-attempt allowed (8.1), last in completion percentage allowed (68.1), 24th in passer rating allowed (94.7), 19th in yards allowed (3,874), and 18th in interception percentage (2.7). They were 3rd in the league in sacks and 9th in rush defense. However, Adrian Peterson can make any rush defense vulnerable.

Anyway, I'm not sure what they did in the offseason to upgrade their pass defense, but it's clearly not as good a defense as the ESPN talking heads would have us believe.

I also don't believe their offense (30th overall in the NFL in 2013) is going to be able to put up points unless we somehow allow Tavon Austin to make big plays. Any offense that has Shaun Hill throwing to a receiving corps "upgraded" by adding Kenny Britt (did you know? ... only Jared Cook and Tavon Austin had as many as 40 receptions last year) is not one to be overly feared. Certainly not "ready to explode," as the Rams poster so eloquently hyperbolized in another thread.

Ever the optimist, I'm going with the surprise double-digit win on the road.

Vikings 27
Rams 14
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

We will win this game quietly and all of the "experts" will fall into a slight depression and when we beat New England in week 2 the media will all go "Wow! I knew I was right by calling them the dark horse favorite".
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

W
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I predict that the team that kicks the most field goals win. Vikings 27- Rams 24
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think this should be a really good game but the Rams are at home and I think they win in the trenches. Rams by 4.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

I will be very disappointed if we lose this game
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I actually am being a homer and think the Vikes can win as well. Its pretty balanced as far as stars on the offense and defense. I am betting AD will be the difference in the end of the game, not giving the D a chance to blow it. Vikes by 3
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The rams not having Bradford is huge.

And the Rams D gets a ton of press, but they're pretty mediocre in passing yards and passing points given up.

I think the o-line pulls its head our of its KEISTER and Cassel goes off like a bomb for over 300 yards.

So I'll be the first guy to say 27-17 in a fairly comfortable victory to borderline romp for the Vikings.
Hopefully we can follow it up with a win against a Patriots team long in the tooth and in decline.

If we can pull off a win against the Saints following that Patriots coinflip, everybody will be slobbing our knob and
touting us as a talented dark horse NFC champ contender.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Just Me wrote:Vikings win a close one: 24-20. I will be at the opener in St. Louis, so if we win, I claim responsibility! Go Vikes! :smilevike:

:thumbsup:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

17-14 vikings
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Mridens
Backup

Post by Mridens »

Vikings by 20