Power Rankings and Predictions/being dissed by the press.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Power Rankings and Predictions/being dissed by the press.

Post by Raptorman »

This should be a short topic. It appears to me that the Vikings are getting no love at all from any one in were the Vikings will end up in the division. On the bottom. The funny thing to me is that they all talk about one thing. The QB. When does Teddy Start. That is supposedly what is going to make or break the Vikings season. When Teddy starts. Did these people not do any research before making such and ignorant statement? When Teddy starts will have less effect on the Vikings chances to win than how well the defense does. Some times it's nice being on the bottom, because no one is looking at you and what you can do.

I hope this defense does what it should and the Vikings surprise a lot of people the next few weeks.

Anyone seen anything that has the Vikings anywhere other than the bottom?
Last edited by Raptorman on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
ponderwheelsbroads
Waterboy

Re: Power Rankings and Predictions 2014

Post by ponderwheelsbroads »

People are stupid and don't understand what a difference a coaching staff can make...anyone who actually watches this team as closely as we all do knows that it always had talent, just no direction...as for that no QB crap, kind of hard to perform when your former idiot OC has no imagination and only 4 plays in his playbook...preseason or not, Cassel looked great in Norv's offense against 1st string defenses and should be starting over Teddy, who will sit and learn until his time comes...I think Zimmer is going to completely revamp this franchise and they are going to surprise a lot of people, starting week 1 in St. Louis...SKOL VIKES
Toronto Maple Leafs, Minnesota Vikings, Toronto Blue Jays...it's not easy
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

Yes I have been looking, and looking, for any positive predictions for the vikings also. No one in the media cares about this team and they are all over their darling packers and Aaron Rodgers. Most "experts" are calling him the league MVP already. Personally I cant wait until Thursday to see how well this "MVP" does against Seattle. The two teams I hate the most (I'm sure I'm not alone haha) go head to head to start the season! Doesn't get much better because someone has to lose! I prefer the pack to start 0-1.

I understand the Vikings have a brutal schedule and it will be hard to make the playoffs, but Pete Prisco and the likes have us at 4-12. REALLLYYYY???? Is this team really going to regress? I doubt it. Get real PRISCO.
RIP Sean Taylor
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

More on the newly-controversial subject of predictions (that's meant as a joke, by the way), along with Chip Scoggins' prediction for the Vikes record:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 09521.html
As an exercise, predicting an NFL team’s record is like trying to guess how many jelly beans are in the jar. In reality, we have no clue. We’re just tossing out numbers.

Predictions only serve to reveal a perception about a team, and for the Vikings, that’s quite a contrast between fans and national media. In short: Fans are believers, outsiders not so much.

One prominent Vegas online site set the Vikings victory total at 6.5, which is double what one national publication projected in terms of wins.

From my perspective, it’s difficult to envision the Vikings doing worse than their 2013 season, a nightmare that saw them shuffle quarterbacks like a deck of cards, play defense like matadors and fire their coach after a 5-10-1 finish.

How does a team go backward after that?

So what’s realistic for Year 1 of Mike Zimmer’s tenure? We’re not ready to anoint the Vikings a playoff team, but in the spirit of opening week, our crystal ball shows an 8-8 record.
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

I'd say that piece is about spot on. Hits all the main points/concerns.
RIP Sean Taylor
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I get why folks get annoyed by the team not getting any respect, but at the end of the day, respect is about results. IMO, the predictors are taking the easy path and basically saying that with a new coaching staff there is no information, therefore they revert back to prior history. In the case of the Vikings that is the past two years of Frasier.

My opinion, is that with a Zimmer and Turner in the driver's seat that the past performance isn't a true indicator. How much things improve is a major quesitons mark. Nobody knows outside of Winter Park. Given what we've seen of Zimmer, i suspect this is in part by design. Zimmer and Turner are old hands in the NFL and they know that fooling the other coaches is part of the game.

I would imagine that this team scares opposing coaches to some degree in the sense that it is really hard to game plan against them at the moment, since they really do not know what is coming.

Still, I think the defense has a lot to prove. I'm hoping it turns the corner, but the talent that is there has major holes until it shows otherwise.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I agree with you, Manquatch. Well said.

The NY Times this weekend predicted the Vikings to finish third behind the Bears and Packers. They didn't predict a 2014 record, but this is the first place I found that doesn't have Minny finishing fourth.

It think most prognosticators look at those first five games as a gauntlet which the Vikings go 1-5 and they figure the season will spiral out of control from there. As bad as it got last season, especially on defense, there weren't too many games that the Vikings weren't still in it. And despite the QB debacle and giving up five last-game drives, the team didn't quit. I believe this team is underrated by the media this year, and with a new attitude that comes with the new coaching staff, it's easy to become flush with optimism for us fans. Still, there will be growing pains, with the fifth youngest team in the league and a rookie head coach.

So, I think it it will be an uneven season. But I can't help myself in thinking that it even money that the VIkes could go 2-3 or 3-2 in the opening stretch, and shock the talking heads. If that happens, it's playoffs. I know, I know ... I'm setting myself up for disappointment. Again.

But that's why I love the beginning of each season. Hope. I'm not saying we are true contenders yet (I'd be insane to think that) -- but we can attain that "surprise team" label and take a big step this year to become a serious SB contender.

T-minus six days to St. Louis ...
"Meet at the quarterback"
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MichViking wrote:I'd say that piece is about spot on. Hits all the main points/concerns.
Pretty much, although he lists QB Stability as a positive and I disagree a bit with that. It's a potential positive but in simple terms, I think QB stability in the NFL lasts as long as the starter stays healthy and plays well. When that status changes, you get what happened last year. Scoggins writes:
The Vikings actually have a plan at that position now, unlike last season when they handled their quarterback situation like a game of “Eenie, meenie, miney, moe.”
I'm pretty sure they had a plan at QB at this time last year too. it just blew up in their face. Assuming the same won't happen, that stability at the position is a given, seems a little like counting the proverbial chickens before they've hatched. Scoggins talks about stability as a positive while simultaneously acknowledging that Bridgewater will take over at some point and stating that "Cassel enters the season with a clear picture of expectations. If he does his job, he keeps the job".

Honestly, that doesn't sound like a particularly stable situation to me. There's a clear plan and pecking order (more chickens!) but stability? We'll see...

Of course, if they end up going to Bridgewater, that could prove to be a positive. :)
tleiviska
Practice Squad

Post by tleiviska »

I think Cassel is going to be just fine. Stability is what he was brought back for, and he's shown that he can lead and produce with this offense. I expect that to keep going, especially when No. 28 is lined up behind him and defenses have to worry about him running AND catching passes this year. Rudolph is better than ever and at 100% (for now), Patterson is stepping up and being that no. 1 receiver we need that can do everything from catch a screen to beat a safety and corner deep, Jennings is the sure hands that you have to look for on 3rd down (he will find a way to get open given the time from the O-line). The only thing that concerns me is our pass protection from the line, and we've been working hard on that. When Cassel is given time, he has good eyes, can throw the ball hard and on target, and has good decision making skills. The fact that Bridgewater is there as a back up is just a plus. The year (or 2) he has to develop is very crucial for him as a young, talented QB.

For the first time in a long time, I am VERY hopeful and optimistic about where this team is headed. Are we going to win the division this year? Its a good, and obtainable goal for this team this year, if our defense continues to play the way they have in preseason... Going over .500 is my first goal, and, I think, easily obtainable with this team, even given our tough schedule.

In closing....Cassel is going to be very good for our team this year, given Norv Turner to work with him. SKOL!!
SKOL VIKINGS
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I predict that Cassel won't be able to have more than one bad game in a row before we start hearing "Teddy, Teddy, Teddy ... "
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

A whole game, you think?
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Cliff wrote:I predict that Cassel won't be able to have more than one bad game in a row before we start hearing "Teddy, Teddy, Teddy ... "
Based on his play in previous years is that really all that unreasonable?
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Uppercuts are so awesome "because" those who feel the impact do not see it coming.

Addendum: A Cassel winning season will have that same impact!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Let me make one thing clear. I don't care what the talking heads say and were they place the Vikings in their little Power Rankings and Predictions. I just love to look at them and laugh, realizing that most of them have no more insight on my team than I do. For the most part, they have less insight than I do. So I guess this is kind of a thread about letting people not to buy into their BS.

BTW, the worse I see the Vikings this year is 8-8.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Skolcanada
Waterboy

Post by Skolcanada »

Dude you got me so pumped for the season to start.

Skol