Matt Cassel named starter

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Loki
Veteran

Matt Cassel named starter

Post by Loki »

Mike Zimmer has named Matt Cassel the starting QB for week 1 against the rams. I just wanted to gauge every ones thoughts on the situation.. Personally I'm just glad its not Ponder lol. I've been a huge supporter of Teddy Bridgewater starting but I definitely think we are making the best decision for the team as a whole starting Cassel.
ON TO VALHALLA
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Matt Cassel named starter

Post by dead_poet »

@mattvensel -- Zimmer said he will treat QB like every other position when it comes to performance, so Cassel will have to play well to remain the starter.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote:
Great to hear :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Hopefully the "easily correctable" solutions to Cassel's potential struggles will be to bench him for Teddy. Fine with Matty starting.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Anyone else hear what Zim had to say about PFF? :lol:

I immediately thought of this place.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

So I wonder if Jaws still considers Cassel to be the worst starting QB in the league now that teams have actually played preseason games...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Slick Rick wrote:Anyone else hear what Zim had to say about PFF? :lol:

I immediately thought of this place.
Jim will enjoy it. :o
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks!
“I look at the grades and I can’t tell you what a 0.7 is or anything like that,” said Zimmer, who is in his first year as head coach. “I know the people that are grading our games and our defenses and our offenses, they don’t know if the tackle gets beat inside he wasn’t sliding out to the nickel, or who our guys are supposed to cover. I guarantee they don’t know who’s in our blitz package and what they’re supposed to do. I would just ask that everybody take that with a grain of salt, including our fans. We as coaches get paid a whole bunch of money to do the jobs that we do, evaluate the players that we evaluate and grade them how we grade them, not based on something else.”
My grade for Zimmer's press conference is an A+. :)
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Mothman wrote: Thanks!
My grade for Zimmer's press conference is an A+. :)
me too! there is just so much that we fans have no clue about. I always get a kick out of these "grades" when the "graders" many times aren't sure what it is they're "grading". but hey...more power to them. If I could get paid the salary I do now for "grading" players and other people actually listened to me I'd consider myself pretty smart... :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FWIW, Cris Collinsworth just bought stake in the website:

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/ar ... s/17128961
According to King, Cris Collinsworth was so impressed by Pro Football Focus that he didn’t just become a subscriber – he became a part-owner. So this spring, Collinsworth was looking to improve his data collection, and signed up for an annual insider’s subscription to PFF. The free part of the site looked real, but he wanted to know more, and so he filled in the email contact form asking for someone to get back to him. Hornsby, with his thick English accent, phoned up. “I thought I’d been scammed,’’ Collinsworth said. “So I figured I would ask him a bunch of questions, you know, to expose him … and after about five minutes, I could tell he was absolutely legit, so I just shut up and listened to Neil talk about football at a very high level.” At first, Collinsworth said he wanted to simply get to know more about all 32 teams without having to do the kind of film study and painstaking research that would take a couple of days at least—in his words, “to be in position Monday morning to know what would normally take me till Tuesday night to know.’’ Collinsworth said he was actually thinking of engaging some people to watch NFL tape and grade it for him until he realized PFF already did it, and did it accurately.
There was one final test for Collinsworth. He and Hornsby separately graded a game. When they compared notes, their grades were very close. “And when we went back over them,’’ Collinsworth said, “I’d say on 50 percent of the discrepancies, they were right and I was wrong.” The deal came together in a couple of months this summer, culminating last week. “What really impressed me,’’ said Collinsworth, “is the fact that 13 NFL teams have contracted with Pro Football Focus for their data. I mean, I have been around the NFL for over 30 years, I know how hard it is to get behind the wall of those teams. And they’ve got 13 teams to trust their data. That’s huge.’’
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

to be clear, I think it is a great site and I have visited many times. and overall I think they do a great job evaluating talent. but there are many things that they simply don't know what they are talking about because they don't know every single assignment. this goes for offense and defense. I think zimmer summed it up great and shared my feelings exactly.
i'm ready for a beer.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:My grade for Zimmer's press conference is an A+. :)
I think you mean +4.26
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

HornedMessiah wrote:So I wonder if Jaws still considers Cassel to be the worst starting QB in the league now that teams have actually played preseason games...
Well, Jaws HAS watched every snap Matt Cassel has taken in his entire life at least 12 times, including Pop Warner practices and that impromptu beach football game in Point Break (Cassel was the QB on Bodie's team against Johnny Utah -- bet you didn't know that, but Jaws did ... he knows everything).

If Jaws says Cassel is the worst, you can take it to the bank -- he's the worst. We're doomed.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Cassel seems to grasp Norvs offense well, no problem with this decision. The early portion of the schedule wouldn't seem to be a place for a rookie. Cassel is more equipped to take the ups and downs in stride.
This space available for rent.