Best wins in Vikings History

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Best wins in Vikings History

Post by 720pete »

No this isn't a riff on that other thread.

What are some of your favorite wins in Vikings history?

For me - AP running for 296 vs. Chargers (MN 35 - 17 SD) in 2007. Coming in a close second, Favre to Greg Lewis to beat the 49ers in the last seconds in 2009.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxSzxIxPrY[/youtube]
:v):
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Best wins in Vikings History

Post by losperros »

I'll admit there were far more important wins but I just love the Vikings beating the Packers on MNF during the '98 season.

It was the Vikings rudely announcing to the world that they were for real and that the Cunningham to Carter, Moss, and Reed attack was the best in the league.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

720pete wrote:No this isn't a riff on that other thread.

What are some of your favorite wins in Vikings history?

For me - AP running for 296 vs. Chargers (MN 35 - 17 SD) in 2007. Coming in a close second, Favre to Greg Lewis to beat the 49ers in the last seconds in 2009.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxSzxIxPrY[/youtube]
:v):

The '69, '73, '74 and '76 NFCC game wins are probably my favorites.

The MNF win against Green Bay in '98 is up there too. I've rarely had more fun watching a football game, although the Vikings dismantling of GB in the 2004-05 playoffs was a blast too.

The win over SF in the '87 playoffs is one of my favorites too. AC was unstoppable that day.

There are too many to list!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I'll admit there were far more important wins but I just love the Vikings beating the Packers on MNF during the '98 season.

It was the Vikings rudely announcing to the world that they were for real and that the Cunningham to Carter, Moss, and Reed attack was the best in the league.

I mentioned the same game before even seeing your post, Craig. :) That was truly a fun game to watch.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Regular Season: 1998 in GB and 1998 in Dallas, honorable mention 09 in GB

Post Season: 1997 in NYG, 04 in GB, honorable mention 09 against Dallas

I was too young to really enjoy the 1987 run with the Victories in NO and SF. Those are fun games to watch highlights of though... AC was a BEAST in those two games.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Regular Season: 1998 in GB and 1998 in Dallas, honorable mention 09 in GB

Post Season: 1997 in NYG, 04 in GB, honorable mention 09 against Dallas

I was too young to really enjoy the 1987 run with the Victories in NO and SF. Those are fun games to watch highlights of though... AC was a BEAST in those two games.
Yes, and Millard was a beast in that NO game. He was almost un-blockable.

It's a shame those late '80s Vikes teams couldn't get to the Super Bowl. I thought the '87 team was going to to pull it off but winning 3 straight postseason road games proved too difficult. The following year, the Vikes played a stretch of games in November and early December that had me convinced they were going to go the distance. I'm sure some of you remember how they dominated opponents at that time. Over 5 games, they outscored the opposition 167-26. They played 4 straight games in which they allowed opponents to score 3 points or less (a shutout against Detroit)! It's hard to even imagine that kind of defense from a Vikings team anymore. It was quite a run but they peaked a little too early and then lost to the 49ers in the divisional round of the playoffs. SF was just too much for them that year. :(
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Man that regular season SF game with Brett last second was pretty up there...

I think the Moss butt wipe in the playoffs in Green Bay was too though
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:Man that regular season SF game with Brett last second was pretty up there...

I think the Moss butt wipe in the playoffs in Green Bay was too though
I consider the latter one of the lower points in Vikings history, although the game itself was great!

That game-winning TD pass by Favre was great too. Definitely a moment worth remembering...
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah i was referring to game itself ...

Moss was a great talent but did some foolish things
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Moss did nothing wrong. It was a play on Packers fans mooning the Vikings' bus. I thought it was hilarious.

Don't tell me you're one of those Joe Buck-types who acts like he actually dropped his pants?

I think Moss leaving the field before the onside kick the week before was worse.
Um, no. Moss definitely did do somethin wrong. That was a childish, immature act, that reflected very poorly on what I believe to be a classy organization. Who cares what bunch of drunk #### fans did? He was a professional at work and he chose to act like a fool. Not surprising, coming from Moss.

On another note, that Greg Lewis catch was as amazing of a moment I've ever had a chance to witness.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Moss did nothing wrong. It was a play on Packers fans mooning the Vikings' bus. I thought it was hilarious.

Don't tell me you're one of those Joe Buck-types who acts like he actually dropped his pants?
I simply believe in good sportsmanship and I thought what Moss did after that play was an example of poor sportsmanship.
I think Moss leaving the field before the onside kick the week before was worse.
I agree. He did quite a few things that were worse but I don't think that serves as an excuse for classless behavior.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Purpnation wrote: Um, no. Moss definitely did do somethin wrong. That was a childish, immature act, that reflected very poorly on what I believe to be a classy organization. Who cares what bunch of drunk #### fans did? He was a professional at work and he chose to act like a fool. Not surprising, coming from Moss.
He was a professional coming to work but the NFL is no normal job. Have you listened to the way our new coach talks to some of his players? In what professional setting, other than sports, is that acceptable? There certainly aren't many.

Is screaming curse words at someone less or more an acceptable "professional" act? Seems like something of a double standard to me if you're going to judge Moss based on "normal professionalism". The NFL very obviously isn't the same world.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

what moss did against green bay was one of the greatest things not only in vikings history, but nfl history as well. have a freaking sense of humor it was the most genius td celebration ever. to answer the original question, i wasn't alive for the nfc championship wins, so my favorite game was the 98 monday night in lambeau, or when favre returned to lambeau. i also give honorable mention to the 97 playoff game against the giants. that was a period in which replay wasn't used, do people remember jake reed's foot actually being out of bounds on that td catch?
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

- The Moss moon was absolutely epic
- '98 against the Packs was awesome as well. Someone posted a video of the game a month or so ago. I watched it and it was truly amazing how conservatively we were playing and how completely helpless the Packers looked.
- '97 playoff against the Giants was the best Vikings comeback in my lifetime
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

The Moss moon ranks very high up there.

But AD's 296 game against the Chargers was also the very first game I ever attended at the dome.

I also attended the Ravens game in Favre's first year where we won after they missed the FG as time expired.
Purple Pride till the end.