Report: Vikes looking to "get rid of" AP (AD)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Would you trade Adrian Peterson if the price was right

Yes, sometime before 2014 season starts
18%
Yes, sometime after 2014 season, before 2015 season
5%
No, not within the next 2 years, keep him here, wait and reevaluate after a couple years
30%
Never, AD must retire a Viking
45%
Other
2%

Total votes: 66

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Report: Vikes looking to "get rid of" AP (AD)

Post by 720pete »

OK take this with a grain of salt, I'm calling malarky on the whole situation, but here we go. :nono:

Strib Link (post has been removed from Strib website)
Bleacher Report Link
Rumor that I constantly heard during the draft

The Vikings are looking for ways to part with superstar runner Adrian Peterson sooner rather than later. Peterson is 29 and when backs hit 30, their production usually drops off precipitously. Backs age in dog years, and despite Peterson's adamantium bone structure, he isn't impervious to aging. The contract situation is also brutal. Peterson will receive a base salary of $11.75 million in 2014, then $12.75 million in 2015. In 2017, it will climb to $15.75 million.

That is simply an impossible salary structure to pay a player in today's game, where the running back position has been greatly devalued.

"My person opinion," said one AFC general manager, "is this (coming) season will be Peterson's last with the Vikings. Despite the cap hit, they'll make some sort of move to get him off the roster."
Last edited by 720pete on Mon May 12, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Report: Vikes looking to "get rid of" AP (AD)

Post by Mothman »

Bla, blah, blah... I think this is just a rumor that started as reporters looked at Peterson's age, looked at his contract and realized that eventually, something will need to change. As more and more reporters speculate on that probability, they talk to each other, repeat it and it begins to feel like there's substance to it. However, I seriously doubt the Vikings are looking to get rid of Adrian Peterson. I think they're far more likely to approach him about restructuring his contract than to trade or cut him. He's been great for the franchise and he's still in his prime. They're likely more interested in finding a way for him to be a key part of a near-future championship run than to get him off the roster.

Unfortunately, the rumors will probably continue to build.

I'm just glad the Vikings don't have that unnamed AFC general manager...
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

720pete wrote:OK take this with a grain of salt, I'm calling malarky on the whole situation, but here we go. :nono:

Strib Link
Bleacher Report Link
Ah yes, the un-named GM of an AFC team.... I always find it funny that these guys will talk crap but never put their names out there. To afraid of the NFL's tampering policy I guess. Unless Peterson is no longer able to play, he will play out his contract, or they will redo it. I don't see the Vikings dumping him.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Well, the qualifier "if the price is right" is the caveat. Any player is for trade for the right price. However, why isn't "renegotiate the contract" an option. Contracts are never written in stone and can be altered. It's not an all or nothing situation unless he would refuse to renegotiate when his production was declining.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Amazingly enough, the Strib link returns a 404 error. [/shocked]

Bleacher Report (A.K.A. Stupid Rumor Central) strikes again.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Long shot, at best. Like so many other aging players with unrealistic contracts, teams are typically forced to release them when they can't be traded. I can't see the Vikings releasing Peterson until after he has a very disappointing season, though, or he begins to show signs of constantly being injured. Last year he was still very effective, but the injury bug started to show its head. Nagging injuries and a lack of production will be what does it.

What team would want him if they have to both take on his salary AND give up whatever astronomical price the Vikings would ask? It will happen only if the Vikings so desperately want to be rid of Peterson's salary burden that they'd be willing to take a reasonable trade offer. Even then, I'm not sure it would be doable without Peterson also renegotiating his contract.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Amazingly enough, the Strib link returns a 404 error. [/shocked]

Bleacher Report (A.K.A. Stupid Rumor Central) strikes again.
Well here is the google cached version.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... 90271.html
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

"My person opinion," said one AFC general manager, "is this (coming) season will be Peterson's last with the Vikings. Despite the cap hit, they'll make some sort of move to get him off the roster."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2058 ... t-notebook

Freeman totally made that up. In fact, I'll bet the whole article is made up. You can do that now, you know. :wink:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

720pete wrote:OK take this with a grain of salt, I'm calling malarky on the whole situation, but here we go. :nono:

Strib Link (post has been removed from Strib website)
Bleacher Report Link
My reaction every single time I see a report that is linked to bleacher report:

So yeah, let's just say I don't believe any of this for a bit.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: My reaction every single time I see a report that is linked to bleacher report:

So yeah, let's just say I don't believe any of this for a bit.
This. :lol: Not gonna waste my time.

I will say that if I even wanted to give this any sort of attention then Minnesota drafting more than just one RB would have caught my eye more than a baseless rumor.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

after everything peterson has been through with us i highly doubt he takes a pay cut, and i for one don't blame him. i've doubted peterson in the past, but if anyone can play well in their early 30's its him. with that said, between 12-15 million dollars a year for one player is ridiculous if his production falls off. so many backs really do hit a total wall beyond or at 30.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

If we did trade AD, the question is what would be the right price? Something similar to the RG3 trade or more?
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

This is just another ridiculous rumor similar to Manziel going in the top 5. These reporters have nothing better to do then to make up a story and hope that they are right.
Purplemania wrote: No way we get that much because the RB position is so devalued. A first and 3rd at most.
There is no way that Spielman and the vikings would trade AD for a 1st and a 3rd. If they were going to trade him which they are not, they would at least get two 1st rounders plus a 2nd and 3rd round pick. I mean Trent Richardson was traded for a 1st rounder!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Trent Richardson was also young. And not making close to 20 million a year.

Should have traded him after his 2k season.

One player, a running back no less, over 15M a year? And increasing each year? No thanks...
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Would be sorry to see him go but would not be sorry for long. We frequently did better without him, even with Bozo running the circus.