You won't see much of the Vikings in prime time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: You won't see much of the Vikings in prime time

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote: I think it's DirectTV considering selling Sunday Ticket to people outside of their membership. They'd still own the monopoly but get non-direct TV customers as well.

The NFL only has a mild incentive to take it away from Direct TV ... and sell it to someone else. The direct TV contract was worth 1 billion to the NFL ... sure is a lot easier to sell rights than set up streaming services, have support and engineering, etc, etc.

They're actually in contract talks right now ... but I still expect a monopoly to come out of it even if it's not Direct TV anymore.
I'd be in favor of a monopoly going to a cable provider. Satellite eliminates a large group of people in urban areas. I don't think my AOAO would look kindly at me hanging a dish out my 16th floor window.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

If and when the Vikings start kicking some tail, television schedules might start juggling.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Dome-less home team is outward bound for two years at TCF Bank Stadium. And scheduling restrictions placed by the University of Minnesota make it virtually certain that the Vikings will not host any night games until they move into their new stadium in 2016.
I don't get this. What are the "scheduling restrictions" that prevent the Vikings from playing night games?

Edit: Now I remember: There was talk about not being able to schedule Monday and Thursday night games due to the traffic and other chaos a game would cause during evening classes. But I would think that those concerns shouldn't prevent Sunday night games.
Last edited by Eli on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

what have we done to earn the right to play in prime time? last year the giants and packers games were two of the worst i've ever seen the only reason i watched was to see if patterson would return a kick for a td. two of the most pathetic prime time games i've ever seen. that freeman display is one of the historical worst.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Vikes suck in prime time anyway.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

S197 wrote:
I'd be in favor of a monopoly going to a cable provider. Satellite eliminates a large group of people in urban areas. I don't think my AOAO would look kindly at me hanging a dish out my 16th floor window.
And where would that leave those of us who only have local network TV? Satellite and/or Cable eliminate another large group of people in rural areas, especially those who refuse to pay a dime for TV. Like me.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I wish the Vikings would be televised nationally more than that.

OTOH, I'll be leaning on NFL.com's package deal again, so at least I'll see the full games.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I wish the Vikings would be televised nationally more than that.

OTOH, I'll be leaning on NFL.com's package deal again, so at least I'll see the full games.
That's my plan too. Hopefully, they'll win a few more of them this year. :)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Webbfann wrote: And where would that leave those of us who only have local network TV? Satellite and/or Cable eliminate another large group of people in rural areas, especially those who refuse to pay a dime for TV. Like me.
If you refuse to pay a dime, what does it matter? You won't have any service regardless. I'm not in favor of monopolies if you read my first post, all I'm saying is if there has to be a monopoly, I'd rather it be to a cable provider as it allows a larger demographic the ability to purchase. It's your choice not to purchase. I have no choice. I would purchase if I could, that's the difference.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

One thing Bret Farve did for the Vikings ...

we got a lot of TV time with him at QB
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Webbfann wrote: And where would that leave those of us who only have local network TV? Satellite and/or Cable eliminate another large group of people in rural areas, especially those who refuse to pay a dime for TV. Like me.
Lol so your saying Sunday ticket should just be free?
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Vikes suck in prime time anyway.

True that. We usually get our #### kicked in prime time games.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Lol so your saying Sunday ticket should just be free?
You should be able to have it competed for business on multiple providers
so the price is more reasonable though...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

jackal wrote: You should be able to have it competed for business on multiple providers
so the price is more reasonable though...
I would tend to agree.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

King James wrote:
True that. We usually get our #### kicked in prime time games.
Something that I really wish wr had more opportunities to change, I LOVE winning on national primetime tv, but I understand that we obviously didn't play well enough last year to be looked at as a primetime worthy team.