Mack or Mosley in the 1st and Garoppolo in the 2nd

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Mack or Mosley in the 1st and Garoppolo in the 2nd

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:But at least he still makes the plays to compile those stats. The younger, supposedly likely to be more in demand Michael Johnson seems to have the inconsistency without the productivity.
Inconsistent. That's a good description of Allen's performance. I know nothing about Michael Johnson.
Allen looks to me like he could be very effective for a few more years if he was willing to accept a slightly less demanding role. He wants to be on the field for every play, which is admirable, but I think one of the reasons he sometimes disappears is that he wears down.
For the right price, just about anyone can be of some value in a limited role.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Mothman wrote: But at least he still makes the plays to compile those stats. The younger, supposedly likely to be more in demand Michael Johnson seems to have the inconsistency without the productivity.

Allen looks to me like he could be very effective for a few more years if he was willing to accept a slightly less demanding role. He wants to be on the field for every play, which is admirable, but I think one of the reasons he sometimes disappears is that he wears down.
I watched almost every game last year, and its frustrating seeing his production/stats go down so much from 2 years ago. However, 2 years ago, the Williams' were doing something in the middle as well. Greenway was productive, Winfield was someone people had to watchout for ect. Not to take a page out of the Clowney supporters book, but when you are one of the only players on the field that concern the opposing team, they find ways to keep you in check. He does seem to be in decline though, that much is for sure. I just think he has more left than what he is getting credit for. And the defense was so bad last year... If we can get a DT that can put some pressure up the middle, some DB/LBs that can cover and make a QB hold on to the ball longer than 3 secs, I think he could have a great year again. Its true what they say, Great DBs make the front 7 look really good, and great front 7 can make average DBs look alot better. But when both those things are suspect, they whole works can look like a giant steaming pile of Poo.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

KSViking wrote:I watched almost every game last year, and its frustrating seeing his production/stats go down so much from 2 years ago. However, 2 years ago, the Williams' were doing something in the middle as well.
Pat Wiliams didn't play in 2011. His last year was 2010.

I agree with much of your sentiment, though. The effectiveness of each man on defense is highly dependent on the other ten guys playing with him. But certainly one reason for the defense's drastic free fall last year was Allen being far less of a force on the field than in his younger days.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

KSViking wrote:I watched almost every game last year, and its frustrating seeing his production/stats go down so much from 2 years ago. However, 2 years ago, the Williams' were doing something in the middle as well. Greenway was productive, Winfield was someone people had to watchout for ect. Not to take a page out of the Clowney supporters book, but when you are one of the only players on the field that concern the opposing team, they find ways to keep you in check.
Plus, his sack total that year was historic. He nearly came away with a record for most sacks in a single season. The numbers he put up that season aren't sustainable on an annual basis. Allen basically regressed back toward his career average, which was expected and it's what usually happens to a player who gets 18+ sacks in a season.

I definitely think improving the interior of the DL and upgrading the back 7 could help him. I don't know if he'll be back though. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm kind of expecting Allen to end up signing a relatively short contract with a serious contender.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PsyDanny wrote:
Yeah, but the 7135 "Ponder Sucks" posts wouldn't count. :roll:
Ain't it the truth :shock: :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleScout
Backup

Post by PurpleScout »

I would like to see the Vikings trade down and do it far enough to pick up an extra 2nd rounder. At whatever pick they trade down to take the best available Defensive Player. At their 2nd pick take Mettenburg or the kid from Eastern Illinois. Get off the Aaron Murray band wagon. he is a product of the Alabama system and will fail miserably in the NFL. At the vikings secone 2nd round pick I would like to see them draft WR Abbrederis out of Wisconsin. I know not a great need but he is the perfect possession type receiver we need. capeable of the homerun ball but more likely to get you that 8 yards on 3rd and 7 and keep the chains moving. He catches everything evn when tightly covered and according to the scouts he is the most NFL ready receiver when it comes to running routes. Also he could be the eventual replacement for Jennings in a couple years.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleScout wrote:I would like to see the Vikings trade down and do it far enough to pick up an extra 2nd rounder. At whatever pick they trade down to take the best available Defensive Player. At their 2nd pick take Mettenburg or the kid from Eastern Illinois. Get off the Aaron Murray band wagon. he is a product of the Alabama system and will fail miserably in the NFL. At the vikings secone 2nd round pick I would like to see them draft WR Abbrederis out of Wisconsin. I know not a great need but he is the perfect possession type receiver we need. capeable of the homerun ball but more likely to get you that 8 yards on 3rd and 7 and keep the chains moving. He catches everything evn when tightly covered and according to the scouts he is the most NFL ready receiver when it comes to running routes. Also he could be the eventual replacement for Jennings in a couple years.
Mettenburg? Aaron Murray a product of the Alabama system? I think you are confused. ;)

WR in the second? Yep, you're confused. :D
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleScout wrote:I would like to see the Vikings trade down and do it far enough to pick up an extra 2nd rounder. At whatever pick they trade down to take the best available Defensive Player. At their 2nd pick take Mettenburg or the kid from Eastern Illinois. Get off the Aaron Murray band wagon. he is a product of the Alabama system and will fail miserably in the NFL. At the vikings secone 2nd round pick I would like to see them draft WR Abbrederis out of Wisconsin. I know not a great need but he is the perfect possession type receiver we need. capeable of the homerun ball but more likely to get you that 8 yards on 3rd and 7 and keep the chains moving. He catches everything evn when tightly covered and according to the scouts he is the most NFL ready receiver when it comes to running routes. Also he could be the eventual replacement for Jennings in a couple years.
In reference to Aaron Murray, he played at Georgia :confused: Mccarron played for Alabama.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleScout
Backup

Post by PurpleScout »

That you are correct in. It was McCarron I was thinking of. Honestly I don't know enough about Georgia to have an opinion on Murray.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleScout wrote:That you are correct in. It was McCarron I was thinking of. Honestly I don't know enough about Georgia to have an opinion on Murray.
Great potential, not very tall and coming off of a bad ACL injury. Third round or fourth round I would like to see him in Purple.

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Wonder if Clowney fell to us, and Teddy was gone, would we take him?
If not Teddy, I am thinking trade down for Nix, then grab Jimmy in the 2nd. I actually think Mosley is going to fit Zimmer more then Mack. Plus I bet Zimmer that LB (I forget his name) with him. If that happens, DBs are a bigger need. And go after Vener (please no one say Shields, I cant take another Packer).