'Rick Spielman' the Vikings For a Day: NFL Draft Simulator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 'Rick Spielman' the Vikings For a Day: NFL Draft Simulat

Post by Thaumaturgist »

OLB ANTHONY BARR
UCLA
DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN
MINNESOTA
CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
DE MARCUS SMITH
LOUISVILLE
WR BRUCE ELLINGTON
SOUTH CAROLINA
G BRANDON LINDER
MIAMI
CB WALT AIKENS
LIBERTY

This is what I went with.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:All you Bridgewater hopefulls with the 8th pick can dream on, he won't slide past 5th pick.

I bet the Jets fans who wanted Geno Smith at this time last year thought it would be impossible he could slide to the 9th overall pick, let alone their second round pick. Considering in February last year Smith was the consensus top QB and most common projection to go 1st overall, and there were 7 teams ahead of them in the top 10 who could realistically take a QB.

Not that I'm comparing the two, but it's still very early in the process. I wouldn't guarantee anything. I love Bridgewater, and think he's hands down the best QB in this draft. But I also can see reasons why teams may pass on him for the other QBs available, or for players of other positions. We're a long way away from the draft, who knows what could happen from now til May
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
MICHIGAN STATE
DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN
MINNESOTA
ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
S TERRENCE BROOKS
FLORIDA STATE
QB DAVID FALES
SAN JOSE STATE
TE CROCKETT GILMORE
COLORADO STATE
WR JALEN SAUNDERS
OKLAHOMA

Updated version :rock:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Here's a challenge I call "The Rick Spielman Challenge". In this one, each player you draft must be paired with another player from the same school while trying to get maximum value.
:rofl:
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Im new to the boards. So Hi :smilevike:

Thought this thread looked fun. I know its a bit high, and wouldn't be real popular, but would love to see the Vikes get a dominant MLB in CJ Mosley. Guy that can be our general on the Defense. Someone Zimmer can look at to start leading and hopefully be a Patrick Willis, Kueckley, Bowman type guy in the middle. I think it would feel alot better to get him around 12-15th pick in the draft, but really, if you hit on a guy, it doesn't matter if you took him 8th or 22nd. If you could go back in the past, and erase some of our 1st round picks and take guys like Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis.. Im sure they would def feel worth any pick in the 1st round.

8 ILB C.J. MOSLEY, ALABAMA - Beast wtih Speed, could be leader of our Defense front 7 for years
40 G XAVIER SU’A-FILO, UCLA Athletic Mauler would be instant upgrade over either of our Guards. I think of Mike Iupati
72 CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE, NEBRASKA - We def need more help at CB. He seemed to have a good Senior bowl
96 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO, EASTERN ILLINOIS - Not sure this guy is the Vikes QB of future, but something to start with add a vet as well, and see where it gets us.
104 DE MARCUS SMITH, LOUISVILLE - Hopefully we sign Everson back, or if Allen #s can work out, but this guy could be a good guy to get into the rotation
136 CB DEION BELUE, ALABAMA - More CB help.
168 DT RYAN CARRETHERS, ARKANSAS STATE - Big Body Up Front, Finally get someone who can replace Fat Pat Williams
200 OLB TYLER STARR, SOUTH DAKOTA - Special Teams/LB help
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

KSViking wrote:Im new to the boards. So Hi :smilevike:
:welcome
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Okay, I played the Texans GM and wanted to see what the computer came up with for the Vikings. I selected Bridgewater for the Texans with the 1st overall. This is how it came out for the Vikings. I am not sure if I am onboard with the way it picked for the Vikings, but you be the judge.

8DT LOUIS NIX III
NOTRE DAME

40 WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
LSU

72 DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS

96 QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

104 CB JAYLEN WATKINS
FLORIDA

136 OLB ADRIAN HUBBARD
ALABAMA

168 WR RYAN GRANT
TULANE

200 CB RICARDO ALLEN

PURDUE
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Okay, I played the Texans GM and wanted to see what the computer came up with for the Vikings. I selected Bridgewater for the Texans with the 1st overall. This is how it came out for the Vikings. I am not sure if I am onboard with the way it picked for the Vikings, but you be the judge.
You had an interesting idea, so I tried it as well!

This is how Minnesota drafted:

DT TIMMY JERNIGAN (Robo Rick passed on Anthony Barr, Kahlil Mack, and Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, who were the next subsequent picks).
FLORIDA STATE

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR. (Robo Rick passed on LaMarcus Joyner, Deon Buccanon, and Marcus Roberson)
LSU

DE CHRIS SMITH (Robo Rick passed on Kyle Fuller and Stanley Jean-Baptise)
ARKANSAS

CB TERRANCE MITCHELL (Robo Rick passed on C.J. Fiedorwicz and Jaylen Watkins (who I drafted for Houston subsequently)).
OREGON

QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO (I cannot fault this pick).
EASTERN ILLINOIS

DT DEANDRE COLEMAN (Robo Rick passed on Max Bullogh and Daniel McCullers)
CALIFORNIA

OLB KASIM EDEBALI (I cannot really fault this pick)
BOSTON COLLEGE

DT RYAN CARRETHERS (Robo Rick picked a third defensive tackle. He passed on James Morris!!! :( )
ARKANSAS STATE

Overall I would give this draft a D. Robo Rick screwed the pooch big time on this draft. I really like Timmy Jernigan, but passing on both Kahlil Mack and Anthony Barr is unacceptable.

This is how I drafted for Houston by the way:
QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
LOUISVILLE

DT AARON DONALD
PITTSBURGH

G CYRIL RICHARDSON
BAYLOR

CB JAYLEN WATKINS
FLORIDA

RB JEREMY HILL
LSU

S TY ZIMMERMAN
KANSAS STATE

DE AARON LYNCH
USF
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Yes, thank you Hardcore, the simulator is awesome. I am going to try some other picks for Houston and then play around with the Rams as well. Then I will go back to the Vikings and go out on a limb and take a player that the Vikings could use but not a big need, see how that plays out.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Alright. It is Tuesday, so the simulator was updated. Here is how I drafted this week:

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON
S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX
ALABAMA
CB BRADLEY ROBY
OHIO STATE
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
DT DANIEL MCCULLERS
TENNESSEE
S TY ZIMMERMAN
KANSAS STATE
DE AARON LYNCH
USF

The simulator was way more realistic with the top 6 picks, then Trent Murphy was picked by Tampa. When I picked, both Anthony Barr and Sammy Watkins were available. It was a very tough choice, but I had to choose Watkins. I didn't expect Ha-Ha to last until the 2nd, but somehow he did. I didn't even hesitate when I picked him. I choose both Mettenberger and Garoppolo. Why not? This team needs to find a signal caller somehow. You may as well have more than one option.

FWIW, Michael Sam was drafted 46th overall by Pittsburgh. I just thought it was interesting.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I just did one of these and somehow got Bridgewater at #8 and Jernigan in round 2. But Derek Carr went 1st overall. :lol:
The simulation logic has come along in the past few weeks, but it still is a little ways away from being 'quality.' Hopefully, as we get closer to May, the logic will be enhanced and it will feel like a 'real draft.' :)
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Well, it is Tuesday, so I decided to do my weekly visit to the draft simulator. Here is what transpired:

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
SOUTH CAROLINA

S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX
ALABAMA

ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD

QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

CB BASHAUD BREELAND
CLEMSON

DT CARAUN REID
PRINCETON

QB LOGAN THOMAS
VIRGINIA TECH

RB HENRY JOSEY
MISSOURI

If this happened, I would not hesitate to give Rick Spielman an 'A+' for the draft. The fact that Jadeveon fell to 8 really doesn't bode well for the simulating logic thus far, especially considering Tampa Bay took Trent Murphy at 7th overall. In fact, the top 10 was as follows: Teddy Bridgewater (HOU), Anthony Barr (STL), Blake Bortles (JAC), Derek Carr (CLE), Khalil Mack (OAK), Dee Ford (ATL), Trent Murphy (TB), Jadeveon Clowney (MN), David Yankey (BUF), Kelvin Benjamin (DET).

Overall, I was really disappointed in the simulator's logic this week. It seems that the logic for the simulator has become more goofy than more relevant.

EDIT* - I ran it again, just for fun:

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON
TE JACE AMARO
TEXAS TECH
DE STEPHON TUITT
NOTRE DAME
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
CB KEITH MCGILL
UTAH
QB TAJH BOYD
CLEMSON
ILB JAMES MORRIS
IOWA

I was amazed who was available this time around. The simulation was a little better, but there were still some highly questionable picks (i.e. Derek Carr first overall, Eric Ebron to Tampa Bay 7th, Dee Ford to Buffalo 10th, Kyle Van Noy to St. Louis at 13th, Antonio Richardson to Miami at 19th and Taylor Lewan falling to Carolina at 28th).
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Dmizzle wrote:I think I saw somebody give there opionion on this already but if sammy watkins is still available I think the vikings should get him. What do you guys think

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Most people say "Yes, Yes, YESSSS!!!" like the Herbal Essences commercials. :D

For real, though, yes.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

If watkins is there at 8u have to take him. Now hypothetically if watkins, mosely, clowney, and jfb are there at 8who do you take?? :smilevike:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Bigwehrm wrote:If watkins is there at 8u have to take him. Now hypothetically if watkins, mosely, clowney, and jfb are there at 8who do you take??
That would be a dilemma. Wide receiver isn't a position of great need for the Vikings. At least, not in 2014. But Jennings won't be a premier WR for much longer, and he's had a lot of problems staying healthy. Patterson is still something of an unknown and still unpolished. If Simpson walks, then they don't have a solid #2. They could do a lot worse than draft Watkins for the (very near) future.