NFL's 20 Best teams without a Ring. The Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: NFL's 20 Best teams without a Ring. The Vikings

Post by Laserman »

Eli wrote:I completely disagree about the relative strengths of the 1969 Vikings compared to the Chiefs. That was the widely held opinion going into the game, but in retrospect the 1969 Kansas City Chiefs were superior at almost every position. Bigger, faster, and better coached. The biggest differences were at QB, their offensive line, which manhandled the Vikings vaunted defensive line, and their incredibly underrated defensive line and linebackers, many of whom are now in the Hall of Fame.
Agreed It's a widely held position that the 69/70 chiefs defense was one of the best ever. I've seen that a game a few times and we were soundly defeated
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

we probably would have won in 98 and 09, but i would say the 09 team was better defensively. i never had as much fun watching the vikings as i did in 09 with favre.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mosscarter wrote:we probably would have won in 98 and 09, but i would say the 09 team was better defensively. i never had as much fun watching the vikings as i did in 09 with favre.
I think the 98 defense was underrated. They were solid in all areas. I think LB was their "weakest" link on D.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

[quote="Jeffbleedspurple"]http://msn.foxsports.com/south/story/nf ... -20-012714[/quote]

Interesting topic thanks. I observe that the 14-2 Falcons team that defeated the 15-1 Vikings in 1998 also made this list, at #15 compared to the Vikings #5 discussed above. That was quite the battle irrespective of the devastation of the loss to fans on our side. With respect to the 2009 Vikings, I will say only that they took the Super Bowl champion to OT on the road and never had a chance to get the ball in OT, to me they rank right up there with all the thousands of other best Vikings teams never to win the Super Bowl.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Vikings four appearances and today's Super Bowl should be a good reminder that just getting to the Super Bowl (which, by the way, the Vikings haven't been able to manage in the last 37 years) doesn't exactly guarantee you a win, no matter how good anyone thinks the team may be. The 98 or 09 teams might just as easily come away losers.
LesSteckellives
Practice Squad

Post by LesSteckellives »

Useless list. If you don't have the ring, it don't mean a thing.