Kirby Wilson to Join Vikings Staff

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Kirby Wilson to Join Vikings Staff

Post by frosted »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-vikings/
Two years ago, Kirby Wilson suffered serious burns in a house fire. He made a full recovery, returning to his job as Steelers running backs coach later that same year.

Wilson is now moving on from the Steelers.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Wilson will be joining the Vikings’ coaching staff, led by new head coach Mike Zimmer.

Wilson, 52, joined the Steelers with coach Mike Tomlin in 2007. Some thought that, but for the house fire, Wilson would have succeeded Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator in 2012. More recently, there was speculation that Wilson would replace current offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
PurpleScout
Backup

Re: Kirby Wilson to Join Vikings Staff

Post by PurpleScout »

:thumbsup: Another excellent Zimmer hire. This guy will get even more out of AD and Asiata as backup.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

He also interviewed for the Raven's open OC position. YESTERDAY. :shock:

Will Wilson be the running backs coach or some kind of assistant coach? With all the talk about him being a good candidate for an OC job, becoming the Vikings running backs coach would be only a sideways move.

It's great that Zimmer and the Vikings are attracting highly qualified coaching candidates who were either former coordinators or considered potential coordinators, but you have to wonder at what point you have too many chiefs and not enough indians. You also have to wonder how much coaching stability will come as a result, as they all become potential candidates for coordinator or head coaching jobs elsewhere at the end of the season.

I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, just wondering. Imagine a coaching staff made up of all former head coaches and coordinators. You might think that would be a dream team of coaches, but I think it could potentially be a nightmare and don't think they'd necessarily be the best position coaches you could find.
Last edited by Eli on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Eli wrote:But will Wilson be the running backs coach or some kind of assistant coach? With all the talk about him being a good candidate for an OC job, becoming the Vikings running backs coach would be only a sideways move.

It's great that Zimmer and the Vikings are attracting highly qualified coaching candidates who were either former coordinators or considered potential coordinators, but you have to wonder at what point you have too many chiefs and not enough indians. You also have to wonder how much coaching stability will come as a result, as they all become potential candidates for coordinator or head coaching jobs elsewhere at the end of the season.

I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, just wondering. Imagine a coaching staff made up of all former head coaches and coordinators. You might think that would be a dream team of coaches, but I think it could potentially be a nightmare and don't think they'd necessarily be the best position coaches you could find.
Valid point. I don't agree, but a valid point.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Maybe now this coach can teach Peterson how to block and catch the damn ball sometimes.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

King James wrote:Maybe now this coach can teach Peterson how to block and catch the damn ball sometimes.
Have Peterson's former running backs coaches all been bums? I thought Eric Bieniemy (now with KC) was highly regarded.

Seems like folks are putting an inordinate amount of faith in new coaches turning a bunch of ugly duckling players into swans. It seldom works like that. IMO, the real changes come at the top, with leadership, philosophy, attitude and game-time decisions making up the biggest differences that a change of coaching staff will make.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Eli wrote: Have Peterson's former running backs coaches all been bums? I thought Eric Bieniemy (now with KC) was highly regarded.

Seems like folks are putting an inordinate amount of faith in new coaches turning a bunch of ugly duckling players into swans. It seldom works like that. IMO, the real changes come at the top, with leadership, philosophy, attitude and game-time decisions making up the biggest differences that a change of coaching staff will make.
26 fumbles in 3 years to start his career, puts the ball on the ground 3 times in the 09 title game. And this franchise decides that was the time to work on Adrians fumbling. I don't hold Bienemy in high regard.
This space available for rent.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Christ, you people even blame the coaches for Peterson's fumbling. :roll:
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Eli wrote:Christ, you people even blame the coaches for Peterson's fumbling. :roll:
Do you suppose Adrian was coached up to reach a point where this was less of an issue?
This space available for rent.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleHalo wrote: Do you suppose Adrian was coached up to reach a point where this was less of an issue?
Maybe the guy isn't the pointiest fork in the tool box? As great a freakish athlete as he is....
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: Maybe the guy isn't the pointiest fork in the tool box? As great a freakish athlete as he is....
Come on now.... :roll:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Come on now.... :roll:
:rofl:
Can't even question your hero's intelligence without you getting all hot and bothered.

No wonder, it's hard to objectively judge anyone when you have them all on pedestals.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:
Can't even question your hero's intelligence without you getting all hot and bothered.

No wonder, it's hard to objectively judge anyone when you have them all on pedestals.
Yeah I'm really hot and bothered :lol: You should be questioning your own intelligence after that comment.

And have them on pedestals?? Your judgement of talent might be worse than Leslie Fraziers :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Sigh...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Sigh...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk