williams-allen-griffen, who leaves who stays

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: williams-allen-griffen, who leaves who stays

Post by jackal »

Every one of them leaves, Griffen didn't want to sign, that should tell us something.
do you have a source ?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote: do you have a source ?
I believe he's referencing the report that the Vikings' first approach at an extension "wasn't in the ballpark" and taking that to mean that Griffen didn't want to re-sign.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
COViking
Backup

Post by COViking »

i would think that Griffen would be the most important signing as I think he could play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. I hope whoever the coach is they run a hybrid defense as what we do now is much easier to pick apart.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

If we get Zimmer (please please please) Im betting he goes 3-4. And then neither Kwill or JA will be back. And Griffen will demand and get a ton of cash. And we will go LB first in the draft.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If we get Zimmer (please please please) Im betting he goes 3-4. And then neither Kwill or JA will be back. And Griffen will demand and get a ton of cash. And we will go LB first in the draft.
Excuse me, but I am just curious as to why you think we would transition into a 3-4 under Zimmer? Zimmer hasn't run a 3-4 since his Dallas days in 2006.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Can I ask why so many are enamored of Griffen? He plays situationally and makes the occasional flashy play, but is he consistent enough to be an every down guy? I have serious doubts.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

BGM wrote:Can I ask why so many are enamored of Griffen? He plays situationally and makes the occasional flashy play, but is he consistent enough to be an every down guy? I have serious doubts.
He's shown a lot of ability and a better defensive coach could turn him into a stud. The story of his career so far has been how the Vikings coaches can't figure out how to properly use him. A coach like Zimmer would extract the maximum potential.

I think it's important that either Williams or Allen is brought back. This defense is in a complete tear-down rebuild mode and there are a lot of young guys...who are the veteran leaders if KWill and/or Allen leave? Greenway!? Is Harrison Smith ready to take on that role? Maybe it's the right time to move on from Williams on Allen...but it's not exactly a great feeling to look ahead to next season without either of them on our defense.

I agree with the general feeling here: Griffen needs to be brought back, KWill could be back, and Allen will leave.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

fiestavike wrote: freakish athleticism.
How does that translate into being a productive every down DE? We have had plenty of players blow through with freakish athleticism and they've never left a mark. What about Griffen do you see being any different? Because people are seriously talking about signing him over a player who has at least five productive years left in the tank and almost certainly will be in the HoF.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: VikingPaul73, I haven't heard anything about what kind of contract Allen will be seeking this offseason. I imagine he intends to let the market set the price or he may just try to find his way onto a Super Bowl contender.
Yes, you are probably right.
If you remember last offseason, the market was pretty soft for DEs over a certain age. We'll see what happens this year. Here is the entire DE FA list accoring to Rotoworld. If we lose both Griffen and Allen , anyone on the list pique your interest?

Defensive Ends

1. Greg Hardy
2. Michael Johnson
3. Lamarr Houston
4. Michael Bennett
5. Jared Allen
6. Arthur Jones
7. Everson Griffen
8. Justin Tuck
9. Antonio Smith
10. Tyson Jackson
11. Robert Ayers
12. Corey Wootton
13. Anthony Spencer
14. Willie Young
15. Brett Keisel
16. Jeremy Mincey
17. Matt Shaughnessy
18. C.J. Wilson
19. Ricardo Mathews
20. Kenyon Coleman
21. Marcus Benard
22. Jason Hunter
28. Israel Idonije
29. Keyunta Dawson
30. Andre Carter
31. Frostee Rucker
32. Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
33. Jermaine Cunningham
34. Jarius Wynn
35. Lawrence Sidbury
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

fiestavike wrote:\

I think Griffen has upside and Allen is clearly on the decline IMO. Griffen also has versatility. Its a gamble to sign him to a big deal, he might never amount to anything, but he has some promise. Also a gamble to sign Allen unless its for cheap. He might be running on E.
He is hardly running on E. I posted this elsewhere - Just about every DE who is in the Top Ten for career sacks, had very productive years in seasons ten through fifteen - most of them AVERAGING 11 sacks per season. It would be short-sighted to cut him loose now, unless he is seeking out an ugodly sum of money.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

fiestavike wrote: I won't be upset if we resign him and I think he might sign for less than a lot of folks expect, but he did not have a good season this year despite the sack numbers. He had very few impact plays.
What do you define as impact plays? I think he had an inconsistent year, as well, but I think the hole that would be created on his side if he leaves would be very difficult to fill. And you can not underestimate the need for leadership, especially during a coaching change. In my opinion, resigning Allen should be a priority. I am honestly kind of stunned that not more fans seems to feel the same way.
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

I think they are all gone.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

BGM wrote:Can I ask why so many are enamored of Griffen? He plays situationally and makes the occasional flashy play, but is he consistent enough to be an every down guy? I have serious doubts.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

He and Harrison Smith are the Viking's most dynamic players on defense. He is sooo much more than just a "flashy player".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI4nx5STmV0 I would suggest turning down the volume on the music (it is rather over the top).
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Re-sign Griffen, let the other two walk. Time to get younger! Don't need them taking snaps from guys we need to develop NOW!

People are enamored with Griffen because he's a role player who makes more plays than play players who are paid incredible amounts more than him.

He's also more versatile then said play players making significantly more than him!

Could he continue that success as a full time end who maybe moves inside on passing downs? Who knows, but let's find out!

Could stand up in a 34 too! Trust him as a 34 outside rusher over everyone else on this roster.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Now that Zimmer is at the helm, signs point to us staying with a 4-3. Considering how highly regarded Zimmer is, I wonder if this will entice Allen to perhaps stay with us at a discount. Maybe, but it might not matter if we now go after a guy like Michael Johnson, who could follow Zim from Cincy.

Staying with a 4-3 could also mean that resigning Griffen becomes less of a priority but I'd hate to let talent like that leave now that we have a coach who could mold him into a star.