Kluwe rips Frazier, Spielman, Priefer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Kluwe rips Frazier, Spielman, Priefer

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: Religious discrimination as in: Kluwe's agnostic beliefs (pardon the oxymoron) were discriminated against? Or are there allegations that Priefers religious beliefs were discriminated against? I don't think atheism is considered a religion (legally speaking anyway-if it were, lawsuits to remove Christian symbols could be construed as "discrimination" by Christians with the government endorsing the "religion" of atheism.)

Or (more likely) is Priefer alleged to have made derogatory comments/actions against other religions besides Christianity?
Discrimination against atheists for their lack of belief is more tricky to understand but it certainly happens. Specifically in cases where an employer/manager is very deep into their faith and finds out someone is agnostic or atheist after they've been hired. Since it's illegal to ask someone up front what their religious beliefs are, this seems like the more common scenario.

Basically, they get discriminated against for the same reason someone from a religious group might; when a person fires/doesn't hire them based on their personal ideas rather than their qualifications or their performance.

Atheism is not a religion, but it ends up falling into that category of discrimination because an atheist has the right to their lack of belief just as a Christian or Muslim has a right to their beliefs - and employers aren't allowed to discriminate against either.

As far as removing Christian symbols from government buildings ... that has less to do with atheists and more to do with religious freedom overall. It's not just Christian vs. Atheist ... it's Christian Vs. All Other Religions (and non-religions). Our government isn't supposed to favor one religion over another and representing Christianity in a government building is a clear violation of that. Just as Christians probably wouldn't want the Ten Commandments equivalent of the Quran posted in a court house.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

P.S.

I'm not saying that happened to Kluwe. Just trying to help you understand.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Cliff wrote:P.S.

I'm not saying that happened to Kluwe. Just trying to help you understand.
Thanks - I can see your point. (And I believe you are correct). The legal issue with affording athiests/agnostics that protection, however, is that I see it opening a door for lawsuits claiming that atheism/agnosticism is the "unofficial state sponsored" 'religion' when lawsuits are filed against schools etc. for having prayers, pledge of allegiance, etc. recited at governmental functions. Not saying I agree (or disagree) with either stance, I just see it opening a 'Pandora's box' of legal issues where I believe (on a strictly legal basis) Athiesm/Agnosticism is not considered a 'religion.' It makes the legal distinction a little 'cleaner' in that the 'no religion' position of the government can't be argued as 'supporting the 'religion' of agnosticism/atheism.' (There is no such animal. At least, I think. Any attorneys, feel free to address my misperception on this. :) )
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Cliff wrote: Just as Christians probably wouldn't want the Ten Commandments equivalent of the Quran posted in a court house.
If it was historically relevant to the US legal system, I doubt most would have any issue with it. (At least I wouldn't) But our nation wasn't founded on Sharia law. Some of the laws (rightly or wrongly) were founded on those precepts (10 commandments). For example, in Illinois: 720 ILCS 5/11-40 (I want to actually see that prosecuted (It'll never happen - but the law is still there) :lol: )). This certainly would go against the 'children of the 60s' beliefs. :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
vikingsfan90
Backup

Post by vikingsfan90 »

Whatever happen to free speech? Even if his allegations are correct and Kluwe feels descriminated against... can Prefier sue Kluwe for suing the Vikings using the argument that he feels his views are being descriminated against? As far as i thought people could have opinions no matter how much and how many people may not agree. For example: Someone being a packers fan. BLEH. skol vikings! :v):
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Funkytown wrote:Context? What, was he practicing for his audition for Last Comic Standing? Seems like an excuse to me. Before people were all, "Oh, he probably didn't even say it. Kluwe is a liar." Now it is, "Okay well, he did say it, but let's learn the context." Really? What will the next excuse/justification be? Considering their relationship, I don't think it was a "funny haha" type moment. And even if it was, according to Priefer, isn't it up to Kluwe how he feels about it? Don't say stupid things unless you are prepared for the consequences. I know I'd take a comment from a friend a lot differently than from some pr!ck at my job. How's that for context? Regardless, if it wasn't a big deal to Priefer, and the context was okay in his mind, why lie about it multiple times?! Seems suspicious to me. I'd think it should be suspicious to anyone. He's a lying coward. Doesn't fess up until multiple witnesses come forward? Wow, what a great man. He has a lot of integrity, doesn't he? Whew! I'm blown away!
Lol that's exactly what I was thinking. There sure is a lot of goalpost shifting going on here. The initial defense by everyone in the Priefer camp was, "well I'm not just going to take Kluwe's word for it, so I'm giving Priefer the benefit of the doubt". And now no shock to ANYONE, they're still trying to defend him after it comes out he's a big fat liar lol. Color me surprised.

Well gee Beave, I don't know what he meant by "the", and was he mad or happy when he said it? It's embarrassing. What's next? Ok he's been caught in a lie, and he admits to being a big homophobe, and it comes out he drowned a boy puppy who tried to hump another boy puppy when he was 13 ... but were his pupils dilated, and was he sweating profusely when he said it? Because maybe Kluwe spiked his beverage with a ruffie, and slurs made under hallucinogenic influence shouldn't be taken seriously. You got nothing left when you start trying to argue word meaning and context. Hello! One of these guys has already been exposed as a liar, and you're trying to argue context? SMH
Mothman wrote:I don't know Priefer. He could be a dirtbag of a human being or a good guy who said something he shouldn't have said and now has an ex-player gunning for him because that player needs someone to blame for the demise of his punting career. However, I don't know Kluwe either and given the nature of his behavior, I'm certainly not willing to just take him at his word on this matter, to assume he's a righteous champion doing the right thing. Maybe he is or maybe he's just a nasty narcissist. For someone who was supposedly discriminated against, pummeled with hurtful language and driven out of Minnesota, he sure did a good job of keeping his mouth shut about all of it until it became clear that no NFL team wanted him as a punter and he had a book to promote. Then he let fly with the accusations and painted a picture of himself as victim.
Right! You know so very little about both these guys, oh except that one is a known liar, so you're just going to go ahead and keep defending the known liar? Makes sense, said nobody. Kluwe has just been a well known champion for the LGBT community for years, which apparently you didn't know, but it was all just a ruse? So he knew years in advance that he was going to need someone to blame for the demise of his punting career? He is far more clever than I realized. And to keep up the ruse he's going to donate the entire settlement to the LGBT community. Man what a shifty scumbag. But it's funny how you claim not to know him, but in the very next breath you mention how well you know the nature of his behavior. Which is it? And you know the nature of his behavior but you're completely unaware of him being a well known LGBT activist? You keep on pretending to straddle the fence with the rest of them though my friend. I'm getting my money's worth sitting back and continuing to watch you guys spin your tires xD. I hear if you spin them long enough, eventually you find some traction ;).
Valhalla wrote:Kluwe was sending out public letters and addressing a congressman with profanities, that is very high-profile. He did other things that are very high profile. Those kinds of acts are a bad reflection on the team. He could have sent that congressman a letter without that kind of arrogance displayed.

What if he addressed a letter such as that to the Governors of Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa?? That was an error in judgement, it looks like Kluwe was out of control.
What if we caught him repeated lying about making homophobic slurs? Would he then be worthy of your defense. Oh wait.
Mothman wrote:It's a complex situation with almost no evidence available for us to consider. There are certainly legitimate 'football" reasons the Vikings could provide to explain why he was released so if he's going to make a case that he was discriminated against and essentially railroaded out of the league because of his personal beliefs, he'd better have some compelling evidence and eyewitness testimony to back it all up.
Wow man, are you on Priefers defense team, and do you think you're talking to the Casey Anthony jury here? You almost have me convinced you're on the defense payroll. xD. You keep at it though, I think you've almost found some traction ;).
Just Me wrote:I don't think atheism is considered a religion (legally speaking anyway-if it were, lawsuits to remove Christian symbols could be construed as "discrimination" by Christians with the government endorsing the "religion" of atheism.)
Ahhh not just legally speaking, but just speaking. Atheism is not a religion. The word literally means "without theism". A rejection of the belief in any god(s). About as far as you can get from religion. This being a secular nation, our government is not allowed to endorse any religion. Displaying religious symbols of any kind on public property, like the 10 commandments is unconstitutional. Freedom of religion also includes freedom from religion. And secularism is not atheism.
Cliff wrote:Atheism is not a religion, but it ends up falling into that category of discrimination because an atheist has the right to their lack of belief just as a Christian or Muslim has a right to their beliefs - and employers aren't allowed to discriminate against either.

As far as removing Christian symbols from government buildings ... that has less to do with atheists and more to do with religious freedom overall. It's not just Christian vs. Atheist ... it's Christian Vs. All Other Religions (and non-religions). Our government isn't supposed to favor one religion over another and representing Christianity in a government building is a clear violation of that. Just as Christians probably wouldn't want the Ten Commandments equivalent of the Quran posted in a court house.
Thank you!
Just Me wrote: Thanks - I can see your point. (And I believe you are correct). The legal issue with affording athiests/agnostics that protection, however, is that I see it opening a door for lawsuits claiming that atheism/agnosticism is the "unofficial state sponsored" 'religion' when lawsuits are filed against schools etc. for having prayers, pledge of allegiance, etc. recited at governmental functions. Not saying I agree (or disagree) with either stance, I just see it opening a 'Pandora's box' of legal issues where I believe (on a strictly legal basis) Athiesm/Agnosticism is not considered a 'religion.' It makes the legal distinction a little 'cleaner' in that the 'no religion' position of the government can't be argued as 'supporting the 'religion' of agnosticism/atheism.' (There is no such animal. At least, I think. Any attorneys, feel free to address my misperception on this. :) )
I don't think you see Cliffs point at all. Atheism is not some invented legal term as I pointed out above. Lets try this from a different angle. Lets pretend they changed the pledge of allegiance to "under Allah", or tried to. Or put "In Allah We Trust" on the money, how fast do you suppose the christians would protest? Don't worry, the atheists would be protesting right along side you on that one too xD. This isn't a christian nation like some want to believe. It's secular. There are lots of non christian kids attending public school, so why should they be forced to pledge to a god they don't believe in? Why should they trust a government that endorses a different religion than theirs? The real question we should be asking is, why was god added to the pledge and our money to begin with? They weren't there originally.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

vikingsfan90 wrote:Whatever happen to free speech? Even if his allegations are correct and Kluwe feels descriminated against... can Prefier sue Kluwe for suing the Vikings using the argument that he feels his views are being descriminated against? As far as i thought people could have opinions no matter how much and how many people may not agree. For example: Someone being a packers fan. BLEH. skol vikings! :v):
Ahhh, well let me answer that with a cartoon that Cliff posted over in the Vikings Bar section.

Subject: Funny jokes/videos/pics
Cliff wrote:Image
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
vikingsfan90
Backup

Post by vikingsfan90 »

Reignman wrote:Ahhh, well let me answer that with a cartoon that Cliff posted over in the Vikings Bar section.

Subject: Funny jokes/videos/pics
:thumbsup:
Both opinionated sides need to see that hahaha
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Like I said when the story first broke out, Kluwe is no good. It seems as if he's using the gay agenda to extort money from the team. I haven't read everything but it seems that he still doesn't have any clear evidence to support his claim. Makes me wonder if he really does care about the gays and their rights or is he just using the gay agenda to get back at the Vikings for firing him. It wasn't a problem when he was still on the team if Priefer said what he said. Stuff like that needs to be reported immediately. But since he waited until no other NFL team wanted him to come out, I'm having a hard time believing his story. Homosexuality in today's society is a very controversial topic. A lot of people who support it than people did back in the day. I'm thinking Kluwe is using this because it gives him the best chance to accomplish whatever he's trying to do. However, he's not doing this for the gays, he's doing this for himself. Trying to get a coach possibly in risk of losing a job and trying to sue the team will only make homophobic people angry not accept homosexuality.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

vikingsfan90 wrote:Whatever happen to free speech? Even if his allegations are correct and Kluwe feels descriminated against... can Prefier sue Kluwe for suing the Vikings using the argument that he feels his views are being descriminated against? As far as i thought people could have opinions no matter how much and how many people may not agree. For example: Someone being a packers fan. BLEH. skol vikings! :v):
Are you suggesting that Preifer could sue for Kluwe violating his right to be a bigot and to discriminate against his players? Good luck with that.

Free speech does not equal freedom from consequences.
Valhalla wrote: The US Constitution has Freedom OF religion, not Freedom FROM religion in regards to Kluwe's views as well and how some people interpret that.
That's not at all relevant to this case. The US constitution does not give religious people a right to discriminate against non-religious people.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

NextQuestion wrote:I just get tired of the idea this guy is a "distraction" or "attention whore" for being pro-gay rights and calling out his former coach. Is he outspoken? Yes. However, he's not like half of my liberal friends on FB who post conspiracy theory article after another with no fact checking. You should have heard Kluwe absolutely embarrass the kid running from "MN for Marriage" (oppose same sex marriage group) on FoxRadio one night in a friendly debate. Kluwe isn't an idiot...he gets attention because media loves him.
This. He actually made the Vikings look good off the field for once. When was the last time that happened?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: Thanks - I can see your point. (And I believe you are correct). The legal issue with affording athiests/agnostics that protection, however, is that I see it opening a door for lawsuits claiming that atheism/agnosticism is the "unofficial state sponsored" 'religion' when lawsuits are filed against schools etc. for having prayers, pledge of allegiance, etc. recited at governmental functions. Not saying I agree (or disagree) with either stance, I just see it opening a 'Pandora's box' of legal issues where I believe (on a strictly legal basis) Athiesm/Agnosticism is not considered a 'religion.' It makes the legal distinction a little 'cleaner' in that the 'no religion' position of the government can't be argued as 'supporting the 'religion' of agnosticism/atheism.' (There is no such animal. At least, I think. Any attorneys, feel free to address my misperception on this. :) )
To me, it doesn't seem like a Pandora's box at all. The absence of any particular religion isn't the same as forcing someone's beliefs on you, it's the opposite. If you're trying to be fair to everyone's religious beliefs you either have to represent them all or none ... none seems the easiest answer by far. We all see things differently though.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: If it was historically relevant to the US legal system, I doubt most would have any issue with it. (At least I wouldn't) But our nation wasn't founded on Sharia law. Some of the laws (rightly or wrongly) were founded on those precepts (10 commandments). For example, in Illinois: 720 ILCS 5/11-40 (I want to actually see that prosecuted (It'll never happen - but the law is still there) :lol: )). This certainly would go against the 'children of the 60s' beliefs. :wink:
Well ... in a country that is attempting to provide religious freedom for all of it's citizens any laws solely based off of one particular religion should be done away with in my opinion. Things like "don't steal", "don't kill", etc ... you don't need any religious text to come to the conclusion that those are bad.

The whole "have no other god before me" bit definitely tramples on other religious freedom though. I could talk about this stuff all day but I feel like we're straying pretty far off topic so if you want to continue the conversation please PM me.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

King James wrote:It seems as if he's using the gay agenda to extort money from the team.
Except he planned on, you know, donating that to a LGBT organization.
I haven't read everything but it seems that he still doesn't have any clear evidence to support his claim.
Of course not. All there is is testimony and eyewitness accounts. That's the evidence in this whole thing. There's no smoking gay gun or purple sequined glove. I'm not sure what other type of evidence you think there needs to be. Priefer never assaulted anybody.
It wasn't a problem when he was still on the team if Priefer said what he said. Stuff like that needs to be reported immediately. But since he waited until no other NFL team wanted him to come out, I'm having a hard time believing his story.
I understand that point of view, but is it really so hard to imagine someone keeping their mouth shut at the time so one wouldn't lose their job or create a hostile working environment?
Trying to get a coach possibly in risk of losing a job and trying to sue the team will only make homophobic people angry not accept homosexuality.
Pretty sure people that are homophobic weren't "on the fence" about homosexuality and consequently leaned towards non-acceptance because of Kluwe's actions.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Valhalla wrote:I wonder if on the gridiron, words like "Hey _____, I'm going to kill you" have ever been uttered, if something like this is said in the workplace or ordinary day-to-day life, the guy is going to be reported right away. It's making a threat in some cases.
Probably. But I don't see how that relates to this situation. The alleged comments took place in a meeting room between a player and a coach, not on the field between two players.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly