View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop! 
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!
I am really excited about this signing. He will be our starting MLB and could end being the answer the Vikings need!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 pm
Career Elite Player

Post Re: Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!
Is this the Desmond Bishop thread?

Excellent! Let the speculation ensue...

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:21 pm
All Pro Elite Player

YES!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!!! YES!!!!! :rock: :govikes:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 pm
Hall of Famer

Apparently his wife is from Minnesota, that might have been the deciding factor (I think all teams offered him a 1yr deal). I'm assuming this means Henderson moves back to OLB if Bishop is healthy.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:
Apparently his wife is from Minnesota, that might have been the deciding factor (I think all teams offered him a 1yr deal). I'm assuming this means Henderson moves back to OLB if Bishop is healthy.

That and he probably wants to try to stick it to Green Bay for cutting him.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm
Hall of Famer

Another one-year "no confidence" contract. Won't get too excited about this one until we see something beyond a guy recovering from an injury. I hope they signed him for the veteran's minimum, with no guaranteed money.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Eli wrote:
Another one-year "no confidence" contract. Won't get too excited about this one until we see something beyond a guy recovering from an injury. I hope they signed him for the veteran's minimum, with no guaranteed money.

This sheds some better lighgt on it all, including the whole situation in which he was released in the first place - looks and sounds all good to me.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/24/4 ... ond-bishop

-- Bud Grant

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm
Commissioner

Only makes sense Vikings' search for MLB isn't over

Quote:
Even if he's healthy, Bishop, 28, probably wouldn't be a long-term solution any more than Henderson, 26. To truly upgrade the position, the Vikings need a player with more speed and range -- and at one point, there was a strong belief that upgrade would come through the draft.

Then defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd fell to them at No. 23 overall and cornerback Xavier Rhodes at No. 25. Receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was there at No. 29, prompting Spielman to boldly package picks in a deal with New England and reel in another of their highest-graded prospects.

By the time the Vikings were on the board again in Round 4, Ogletree (No. 30 to St. Louis), Te'o (No. 38 to San Diego), Minter (45th to Arizona) and four other inside linebackers were long gone. They ended up taking a flyer on often-injured Michael Mauti from Penn State in Round 7.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... over061813

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:48 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:

Does someone actually need to make this argument? I hope nobody thought it was over when they signed a guy to a one-year contract.

If Mauti can actually come back and stay healthy, then I think their search for a MLB will be over. He's the real deal. I'm not sure, though, whether they'll know that by the time next year's draft rolls around.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 pm
Career Elite Player

After reading more about his injury and how NFL players have come back from it, I am going to temper my excitement around thinking we have solved our LB issue for even this season. Which is fine. At worst he re-injures himself in camp and doesn't even make the team, leaving us where we were before GB released him. At best he has a solid season and returns to the form he was known for. Either way they are drafting an inside guy next year as I don't feel Bishop is really the answer at MLB.

It's low risk IMO. They should know quite well what he has halfway through camp. I hope he can still play...but I'm dubious. That's a pretty serious injury for a guy in a position where losing a step really hurts his game.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm
Hall of Famer

Eli wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Does someone actually need to make this argument? I hope nobody thought it was over when they signed a guy to a one-year contract.

If Mauti can actually come back and stay healthy, then I think their search for a MLB will be over. He's the real deal. I'm not sure, though, whether they'll know that by the time next year's draft rolls around.

I agree. Bishop is more of a stopgap player, which is something I was hoping the Vikings wouldn't do with the MLB position.

OTOH, maybe they have to go with a stopgap player currently if they want Mauti to eventually take over in the future.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm
Rookie

Don't be so negative guys, this is a great signing.

Things could have been much worse, we could have signed Urlacher. :lol:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Enough said. Bishop can do no worse than Brinkley.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Eli wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Well if Mauti is the real deal, then they should be able to figure that out. I'm not sure what they were supposed to do. They obviously thought it was more important to get Ponder help and shore up the secondary before the MLB spot. I'm betting that if Patterson wouldn't have been there, they would have picked Teo somewhere. You can't fix everything in every draft.
As for the one year deal.....I'm glad they didn't commit more than that. Like is being said here, he likely is a stop gap player. Would you be happier if they gave him a 4 year deal? We needed some experienced depth and help at the LB position, I really see no downside to this signing.

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm
Commissioner

Deadpool wrote:
Don't be so negative guys, this is a great signing.

Things could have been much worse, we could have signed Urlacher. :lol:

Yeah signing a guy that's actually played in the defense before would have been much worse. :roll:

Right where this team is at. They were going to do something considering the handful of scrubs they were trotting out there to compete for the position. (didn't take long to realize how stupid it was giving Erin a shot huh?) And we still get a downgrade in coverage. Another guy who won't be a three down guy for long, if at all. Who doesn't belong in the defense. And wasn't very good to begin with.

Don't be so negative, average linebackers like this who don't fit the defense are GRRReat!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:53 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Demi wrote:
Don't be so negative, average linebackers like this who don't fit the defense are GRRReat!

Been hanging out with Tony the Tiger lately? :D Or are you just plain growling with your "GRRR"? :)

Now I want Frosted Flakes, way more than I ever wanted Bishop. :lol:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:07 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

The Breeze wrote:

confused on this. Did you not know that he actually signed his contract?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:26 pm
Career Elite Player

Eliot wrote:
The Breeze wrote:

confused on this. Did you not know that he actually signed his contract?

I assumed he signed by your thread title, but my question was in regards to another thread asking why there wasn't a Desmond Bishop thread.... Just me cracking wise. Then my comment on speculation was meant for all the comments to come on how Bishop will fare as a Viking, how he will be used and if he is healthy etc.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 pm
Career Elite Player

Very good signing and he will be added to the growing list of former Packers: Ryan Longwell. Darren Sharper. Brett Favre, Gregg Jennings.
Those naysayers and doomsdayers who complain about every move that the Vikes make can enjoy another huge helping of crow after this year"s Super Bowl run. :thumbsup:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:26 pm
Rookie

This is exactly what the Vikings needed! A point of attack MLB that can stack and shed! Congrats - Bishop and Greenway is a very formidable duo! Erin Henderson is good as well. Defense starting to look like the flagship side of the ball...

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Defensive Tackle

Demi wrote:
Yeah signing a guy that's actually played in the defense before would have been much worse. :roll:

Right where this team is at. They were going to do something considering the handful of scrubs they were trotting out there to compete for the position. (didn't take long to realize how stupid it was giving Erin a shot huh?) And we still get a downgrade in coverage. Another guy who won't be a three down guy for long, if at all. Who doesn't belong in the defense. And wasn't very good to begin with.

Hmm, it sounds like those frosted cornflakes weren't covered with milk...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/66c434 ... orn-flakes

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Franchise Player

Apparently people arent able to learn new defenses these days... THEY DO HAVE SOMEWHAT OF A BRAIN

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am
Backup

I'm happy with the signing and glad we didn't settle with E. Henderson in the middle.

I'll be the one to say it... Our defense will be NASTY this year. SKOL!

Bleed Purple

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 am
Career Elite Player

Given that E Henderson is at best a role player type player, I do not see this sigining as a terrible thing. Given Bishop's injury history it is hard to say if he'll be a dramatic improvement over EH or JB. However, the FO and Coaches obviously think he'll be an improvement on some level over the other options. That, IMO, is the reason for the signing.

Let's face it. Outside Greenway our LB situation was pretty pathetic talent wise before Bishop signed. Even if Bishop is 80-90% of his pre-injury self I think it is reasonable to think he'll be at least on par and probably better than the guys currently on the depth chart. At this point I think the signing really just speaks to the lack of talent at this position on the roster. Let's hope it works out well for the Purple.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 am
Commissioner

UltraNasty850 wrote:
I'm happy with the signing and glad we didn't settle with E. Henderson in the middle.

How come nobody's talking about Audie?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:29 am
Career Elite Player

My guess is his pre-season equity is limited despite the one big game. Folks need to see him do it on a Sunday.

One thing worth considering is whether Bishop ends up at OLB or ILB. It is quite possible EH still plays Mike. Some thing that Mike is EH's more natural position. I don't know enough to say that is right or wrong, but I've heard the opinion expressed from EH on Paul Allen's show.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am
Career Elite Player

My favorite part about this? Packer fans CRYING about how Packer players come to Minnesota when they're "trashed" and "washed up" yet they were in depression when it was first reported he was going to be initially cut. SOUR GRAPES, ####

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm
Career Elite Player

Just now listening to Bishop being interviewed on NFL32. He said the issue keeping him out of OTAs in GB were related to another area of his hamstring. He said that he was doing too much too soon and felt some strain on the inner portion of the hamstring, not were his injury was. He says he's good to go now.

Still, the guy has hamstring issues. It's understandable to see why GB cut him loose seeing how much he was set to earn. I'm glad he chose Minny and I hope his legs hold up, but I won't be counting on him to last the season.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Chris Mortenson talked with Frazier today, and what they are most worried about is Bishop staying healthy every week. If so, he's starting. But position hasn't really been addressed yet. I assume he will won't be playing MLB, though.

-- Bud Grant

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 pm
Career Elite Player

headless_norseman wrote:
But position hasn't really been addressed yet. I assume he will won't be playing MLB, though.

I so confuse

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next