Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

Post by Eli »

If they didn't draft Bishop to plug in at MLB, then that means Erin Henderson remains penciled in at the position and Bishop will play OLB. At that point, you have to ask why Bishop's signing was so critical to the Vikings? Have they already seen enough of Gerald Hodges to think that he won't start at OLB this season?

The signing of a guy who they don't even know will be healthy, and who they're unsure of what position he'll play makes me even less confident of the quality of the Vikings' linebacking corps than before. Did they honestly get any better with this signing, or are they just desperately looking for some talent?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Eli wrote:If they didn't draft Bishop to plug in at MLB, then that means Erin Henderson remains penciled in at the position and Bishop will play OLB. At that point, you have to ask why Bishop's signing was so critical to the Vikings? Have they already seen enough of Gerald Hodges to think that he won't start at OLB this season?

The signing of a guy who they don't even know will be healthy, and who they're unsure of what position he'll play makes me even less confident of the quality of the Vikings' linebacking corps than before. Did they honestly get any better with this signing, or are they just desperately looking for some talent?
I think he's a huge upgrade if healthy and that it should be apparent before the beginning of the season. If not they can release him. I see it as a low risk deal that could turn out to be a big positive....not an act of desperation. The whole position issue is going to work itself out in camp. I hope he can stay healthy, he's a stud.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I am sure that they already realize, even before they have put on the pads, that Hodges won't be a starter. And the medical staff has not got a clue as to the health of Bishop. The defensive coordinator, linebacker coach, GM, Frazier, who also are mostly "clueless" have blindly signed him anyway and now the LB corps is even worse than before. This team is going no where.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This season is really going to hinge on how healthy this team can stay. I know that's a general rule but with guys like Jennings, Bishop, Sullivan, Simpson, Cook, etc. having a history of trouble staying on the field, the Vikings are really rolling the dice.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Eli wrote:If they didn't draft Bishop to plug in at MLB, then that means Erin Henderson remains penciled in at the position and Bishop will play OLB. At that point, you have to ask why Bishop's signing was so critical to the Vikings? Have they already seen enough of Gerald Hodges to think that he won't start at OLB this season?

Bishop is not a desperate signing. All I did was relay what was told to Mortenson by coach Frazier. As long as Bishop stays healthy weak in and weak out, he's basically starting, from the sounds of it. It's just what position he will play hasn't been addressed, and I'm sure won't be until training camp.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

At that point, you have to ask why Bishop's signing was so critical to the Vikings?
Because they have a bunch of bums at linebacker other than Greenway. And after seeing what they had in OTAs realized just how bad of a position they were in. Now they're "formidable" and we won't be having any trouble. You can tell how bad a position is when people get all excited about Desmond freakin' Bishop. :rofl:
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Pretty decent signing considering that it's just a one year deal. If he returns to form, it will be a steal...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm not a prophet, so I don't know if this is a good signing. Probably won't know until after the season.

But I do know this. Jilted Packers love to get back at their old team. So if Desmond Bishop manages to give Aaron Rodgers a Riddell enema at some point this season, it'll be a good signing in my book.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'm not a prophet, so I don't know if this is a good signing. Probably won't know until after the season.

But I do know this. Jilted Packers love to get back at their old team. So if Desmond Bishop manages to give Aaron Rodgers a Riddell enema at some point this season, it'll be a good signing in my book.

Since you mentioned it Mr. Kapp here is an interesting "note": http://thevikingage.com/2013/06/25/bish ... y-packers/

"Desmond Bishop didn’t last long in free agency. It was a quick decision that allowed him to become a member of the Minnesota Vikings after being released from the Green Bay Packers just one week ago. As a guest on NFL AM on NFL Network, Bishop said that playing against his former team was one of the reasons he decided on Minnesota.
“It was part of the reason. And if I can get a chance to play against Aaron Rodgers, I think that right there, in itself, is a motivation. You know, you want to play against the best. When I was playing for Green Bay, the games I cherished most was playing against the Vikings because I had a chance to play against Adrian Peterson. That’s my mindset. I want to play against the best.”
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Angels Wings wrote:Pretty decent signing considering that it's just a one year deal. If he returns to form, it will be a steal...
Jerome Simpson Part DeLB.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

great pickup. his contract should be laced with lots of incentives.
i'm surprised the Vikings didn't sign Charles woodson for one year. still thought he had a little left. :v):
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Cannot wait. Bishop is a great 3-down player. Erin Henderson, Chad Greenway, and Desmond Bishop are all solid players and I think we will see much improvement from the LB position this season.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Demi wrote: Jerome Simpson Part DeLB.
Got to have a wide net in these situations. Not many will pan out, but if one player does it will be worth it.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Eli wrote: Did they honestly get any better with this signing, or are they just desperately looking for some talent?

Yes
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I don't see anything desperate about it. A good, experienced player ended up on the market at a position where they could use more talent, so they checked him out and signed him. It's a low risk contract so if he's healthy enough to stay on the field and play as well as he has in the past, they got better with this signing. If he's not healthy enough, they took a chance worth taking and did it without much risk.

Jim